Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Assistance sought for engine problems

Re: Assistance sought for engine problems

Many thanks to those members who took the time to respond to my initial enquiry.

Thanks to the advice offered we were able to start the engine and run it continuously. My only remaining query relates to the water pump. When we started the engine, water flowed freely through the engine. After a few minutes it was hot, suggesting that the pump was working adequately. Should we, as a matter of course, now replace the water pump or could we ignore the replacement for the time being?

In closing, is there any indicator which we should look for which would be a trigger for replacing the pump?

Many thanks

Richard

Ignoring replacing your water pump you do so at your own peril.As far as a trigger i think your original post of not having been started for about 18mths is it.

Steeler

DoNotFeedTheTrollsAandBelligerent

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    OH, OK, can you remove the filter and see if you can reconnect the hoses together to bypass the filter for a moment to see if you can get some signs of life, if so, buy a new one as soon as you can,you do have spark don't you? from there you can see if the carbs are getting fuel, they have a drain plug on the bottom of the bowls, you can undo it and fuel should come out.
    Afternoon Noelm

Greatly appreciate your earlier advice. A few more questions if I may? We were successful in starting the motor after taking your advice and we then replaced the water pump. However, after that replacement we have concluded that our spark plug leads are wrongly connected. A lot of oil is now coming from the exhaust.. Further, there is a coil bedside each cylinder head. Should that coil be connected to the plug in that cylinder?
    We do not know the firing order but even if we did we don't know the order in which the coils are activated.

In closing, it's a 4 cylinder, two stroke 26 year old Johnson.

Any thoughts please?

Richard

yes, 1 coil for each cylinder, and unless there is something very odd, the one near the plug is the one for that cylinder, I dont think any of them had leads long enough to swap them over, but I could be wrong (I often am)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Farrell View Post
    I am experiencing difficulty in starting a twenty plus year old Johnson 115 HP outboard motor.

The motor has been lying idle for about 18 months but ran well when last used. Currently, it has been fitted with a new battery, fuel line, been supplied with “fresh” petrol, had the filters cleaned and new plugs fitted. The motor will turn over but refuses to start.

Can anyone suggest how I may rectify the problem?
    many thanks

Richard

i think you tray all you could do
    i would try take to marine shop or call one of mobile mechanics to come and check out b4 you spray aerostart in and crack the piston