Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: A lures true value!

Re: A lures true value!

Nice work Matt.

I think that would actually work to stop the back cracking but I still tink that a barra will and can destroy the xrap by basically being able to break the lure within its mouth.

Also I upgrade the rings on the xraps just to be safe.

Cheers

Lee

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Just on Australian made timber lures - & there are some great ones :cool: from what I have seen and used...... most seem to be deeper diving ones! :huh:

Does anyone know , some shallower running timber lures (2-4ft)

much appreciated

Chris
    Chris l might have the answer... Now l said might ! The testing shall be done by the Mondy crew. There are limted numbers. And its based on a lure that ... say no more you get the picture. Its a wooden lure. Dives to 2-4 ft Not on the market . You will have to ajust the buoyancy to suit how you want it to float, rise, fall Whatever .And l really do appreciate the lure craftmans efforts in designing this lure

Quote Originally Posted by Awoonga View Post
    Chris l might have the answer... Now l said might ! The testing shall be done by the Mondy crew. There are limted numbers. And its based on a lure that ... say no more you get the picture. Its a wooden lure. Dives to 2-4 ft Not on the market . You will have to ajust the buoyancy to suit how you want it to float, rise, fall Whatever .And l really do appreciate the lure craftmans efforts in designing this lure

Interesting................. a dozen or so set of ears just pricked all over Sth East QLD

Good onya Trev.

Pete

You're not wrong Pete....

YEP, interesting..

will make a good fire side chat topic...
    God put me on earth to accomplish
    a certain number of things,
    right now i am so far behind
    i will never die.

Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    Nice bit of modding matt.

As for X raps...Jury still out for me. I've hardy thrown them and so far not had a looker. They certainly look the business. but so do many in my tackle box that don't see much airtime anymore.

My goto hard bod has been the R2Sea Triho 120s. cheap, cheerfull and it works for me(suitably modded of course)
    Next trip i'll be trying out some new things, giving the old F18 classics another run and dusting off a few oldies that I've recently been gifted. looking forward to some catchup around the fire.

Cheers, Roo.
    Agree with Roo, Matt some great work there...

Roo, both Kyle & I have caught barra on the R2S triho but have now abandoned this lure for bombers. While the triho works well all of ours died after they caught a single barra or just died in the middle of a session.

They are a 'cheap' lure that have some design faults as they crack very easily and fill up with water as a result. We will not use them again!

Now that Matt has some mods for bombers, we are confident that Kyle will hang onto some more barra! He has now lost 3 tournament barra and four lures to the failure of the rear eyelet.

The never ending search for the perfect barra lure continues...

Regs

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by leelee View Post
    Nice work Matt.

I think that would actually work to stop the back cracking but I still tink that a barra will and can destroy the xrap by basically being able to break the lure within its mouth.

Also I upgrade the rings on the xraps just to be safe.

Cheers

Lee
    Lee, which rings #5 (60lb) or #6 (70lb) or different?

It will be interesting to see if it works,

Cheers,

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by matt fraser View Post
    Lee, which rings #5 (60lb) or #6 (70lb) or different?

It will be interesting to see if it works,

Cheers,

Matt
    Matt I have 60lb and 70lb owners and have Decoy 60lb and 75lb.

The reason I have 2 different brands is that they have a differing size and differing weight which helps get the lures suspending or slow rising or slow sinking. Helps me fine tune so to speak as each time i visit the dam the lures need to be retuned to get them to do exactly what i want.

I think from memory that last trip they ran a owner ST66#4 with owner 60lb split ring on the rear and then an owner ST66#2 with a decoy 75lb split on the front. I was also put onto the Storm Suspending weights so I always use them to help get the desired result I am after.

Cheers

Lee

Ditto to that Matt. There is some good oil in barraboss's stuff.

Nice efforts there Matt. Now you have an excuse to come up here and test them out. I'd personally wait for another month or so till it cools off properly, I always find it difficult fishing during the months while it is cooling but once it's consistently cold the fishing gets easier.

To answer the first question of whether it's worth the money I'd say a definite yes, and the 3 tackle boxes full of xraps attest to this. Unlike the rest of you I haven't ever had a 12 break, but I've only landed 50 or so fish on this lure as I use the jointed or the 14 predominantly and haven't ever had them fail. Maybe it's my softly softly approach that does it?
    Another wooden shallow lure is the rapala long cast. I don't personally use it but a friend of mine who like fishing shallow water always tries to steal it.
    cheers scott.

Scott, I'd be happy with half a dozen fish off one Rap! Doesnt seem to matter, hard or soft, 117 or 60+, that tail section is an issue for me.
    Thank heavans Im sponsored by Etche Hairdressing. Wonder when Debs will figure that out??

Red face Re: A lures true value!

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    So what gives you confidence in a lure ?

Why did you buy a lure in the first place ?

Do you buy a lure / placcy on recommendations like reading a thread like this ?

How much of it is a spur of the moment thing ....... a Daryl purchase :cheesy:

Chris
    What are you insinuating? :undecided: I resemble that remark :rolleyes:

i haven't bought a lure for about ten minutes :wink:

Rob Gadens New Warlocks :smiley: Well I needed some! :huh:
    I didn't have any :tongue:

Most of my Money is spent on Booze and Fishin.
    The Rest is just Wasted!
    To The Shed.............

I'm very surprised you blokes don't use J-13's.

Magnum style body, Timber lure, tough as nails & come in an array of pretty colours with a brilliant action across the board from dead slow to super fast & vibrating. Gets down to around 4ft depending on gear etc and I'm sure you fellas could get it to suspend.

Quote Originally Posted by BR65 View Post
    Scott, I'd be happy with half a dozen fish off one Rap! Doesnt seem to matter, hard or soft, 117 or 60+, that tail section is an issue for me.
    Thank heavans Im sponsored by Etche Hairdressing. Wonder when Debs will figure that out??
    What a sponsor! Must be a top woman to put up with your fishing absences...

Quote Originally Posted by 2manylures View Post
    I'm very surprised you blokes don't use J-13's.

Magnum style body, Timber lure, tough as nails & come in an array of pretty colours with a brilliant action across the board from dead slow to super fast & vibrating. Gets down to around 4ft depending on gear etc and I'm sure you fellas could get it to suspend.

Never heard of them until now. Will look for them next time I'm at church...