Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: A lures true value!

Re: A lures true value!

Quote Originally Posted by BR65 View Post
    I do so love it when they go down head first.
    Except getting them out!:angry::wink:

Quote Originally Posted by nipsta View Post
    dont worry i have beefed the cotton cordells hooks up size 1 treble on the rear and size 2 on the front :grin:
    Nippa, I remember reading about the Cordells smacking fish in the NT years ago. Dont hear about them in the ponds, least I havent, some one else may have, why not give em a go.
    Ive got a couple along those lines, Rapala Rattlin Clack or something, as well as some over sized Megabass lipless cranks, that I want to try jigging thru bottom hugging fish next time I see them on the sounder.

9" pointy nose pliers Pete, and the only time I use lip grippers now days, hold the mouth open and keep my fingers clear

I do so love it when they go down head first.
    Well who doesn't :tongue: : and the same can be said for lures :wink:

Most of my Money is spent on Booze and Fishin.
    The Rest is just Wasted!
    To The Shed.............

I will bring some up with me that i have for sale on ebay and also to anyone who wants to purchase them also have some blade lures from cotton cordell but thats a hole other story so bring ya wallets lol
    Sorrry to hijack chris just wanted to get it out there

Quote Originally Posted by darylive View Post
    Well who doesn't :tongue: : and the same can be said for lures :wink:
    Love yah work Dazz lol

Feed back from Saturdays trip.
    Tied off, I threw a suspending X Rap for maybe 1/2 an hour for zilch, changed to a suspending B52 that sat higher in the water colum, and also has a more eratic action (I tend to work it harder on the twitch, more of a rip I spose). 3rd cast and its hammered by a very big fish, burnt in the memory bank, only saw the shoulders of that one.
    Bit later on, change of color from natural (Bunker) to fluro flash (Hot Steel) saw a fish in 2 casts, after maybe 30 casts prev with the natural. No change in location, technique, retrieve speed or lure type, just colour.
    So an X Rap does it again :tongue:

So tell me , Is the X Rap the best HB barra lure on the market :huh: - IMO It is!

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by Peter4 View Post
    Me too Al...

When I do change colour I tend to be radical. For example with Xraps I will change from a natural colour like silver, olive or gold to a loud colour such as orange/yellow (hothead) or bright green (clown)....

Seems to work on occasion...
    Its interesting Pete ...... both Brian & yourself use the louder colours and get results - I dont seem to get results other than on Golds , silvers , hot steel & my favorite Olive - admittedly by the time I've gone through this rotation I've usually had some interest.
    I might have to give the garish ones a go - next time :tongue: gotta love this freshwater chat!

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Its interesting Pete ...... both Brian & yourself use the louder colours and get results - I dont seem to get results other than on Golds , silvers , hot steel & my favorite Olive - admittedly by the time I've gone through this rotation I've usually had some interest.
    I might have to give the garish ones a go - next time :tongue: gotta love this freshwater chat!

Chris
    Yeah Chris - last trip I rotated all of the 'natural' colours over 2 hours in the one spot for 1 cattie on a silver Xrap. Tied on the hot head (orange/yellow) threw it in, twitched it once and was monstered. Unfortunately the braid snapped on the strike and my only Xrap in this colour was goooonne...

Regs

Pete

Yeah Chris - last trip I rotated all of the 'natural' colours over 2 hours in the one spot for 1 cattie on a silver Xrap. Tied on the hot head (orange/yellow) threw it in, twitched it once and was monstered. Unfortunately the braid snapped on the strike and my only Xrap in this colour was goooonne...

Regs

Pete

Yeh see - thats why! - I rotate through various lure styles before I go down the path of colour changes .
    So I might fish a point that has depth of 1 - 4 M & rotate through an X Rap , slick rig , hollowbelly , Storm Suspending shad & possibly a frog (depending on topography) - I then may throw a B52 / Stiffy twitch bait / or storm swim shad .... before I do a colour change on the X Rap :smiley: probably because I feel confident whenever I throw those natural X Raps !

It actually makes for an interesting topic on what , how & why people select lures or fish a certain way

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Chris - this was on day 2 of a spot that gave us 15 hook-ups and 7 fish the day before.

We were 'conditioned' by this stage and as a result we were:

1. Reluctant to move and;
    2. Unwilling to change the style of lures that worked the previous day.

I stuck to Xraps and just changed colours. My colour selection was limited as I had lost 4 Xraps already! Kyle stuck to his bombers (confidence).

I did not throw a plastic or surface presentation for the whole day and a half!

Maybe I shouda!

Regs

Pete

Chris - this was on day 2 of a spot that gave us 15 hook-ups and 7 fish the day before.

We were 'conditioned' by this stage and as a result we were:

1. Reluctant to move and;
    2. Unwilling to change the style of lures that worked the previous day.

I stuck to Xraps and just changed colours. My colour selection was limited as I had lost 4 Xraps already! Kyle stuck to his bombers (confidence).

I did not throw a plastic or surface presentation for the whole day and a half!

Maybe I shouda!

Regs

Pete

Interesting ........
    i've had trips where a certain lure / placcy was working ..... and probably shouldn't have changed - but did & the results improved considerably.
    I certainly like to keep my options open

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

nipsta mentioned he uses the cotton cordells ,i have been switch hitting with those for years,after flogging an area with the usual hard bodies and softies i would change to my 75mm cordells with unbeleivable results at times ,awoonga is one dam that fires big time on these lures (TREV KNOWS ABOUT THEM )they are the ones that arent made any more with one bearing in them ,they handle the big girls well too biggest being 114cm,was devastated last week found my favourate blown up due to heat.

Al,

I got a older style rapala lipless crank that has got me a few fish up at awoonga. I used to cast it to the weed bed, let it sink than twitch it back out....had some good results a few years back in an ABT prefish...and on another occassion after that.

Foxie has some cheapo trollcraft ones that I have been toying with too....booored a hole in one, bit of glue to kill the rattles...its caught Mondy fish. Works better than the rattling one exactly the same.

Cheers steve
    I dont have ADHD......ohh look a squirrell !!!

steve i have got a couple of the newer rattlin spots that had heaps of bearings in them ,i drilled out 2 areas to remove all the bearings then put 1big one in each hole it made a great difference to the sound ,yet to use them ,really keen to see how they will go up at mondy and awoonga soon ,the pic shows the end result, you can see the filled holes in the side covered with reflective tape i hope it doesnt show up too much in the water to effect the color ,it shouldnt i would think