Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: A lures true value!

Re: A lures true value!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter4 View Post
    Never heard of them until now. Will look for them next time I'm at church...
    My apologies:smiley:

I took it for granted that others would know them.

They're floating jointed Rapalas, 13cm long, weighing 16grs dive to around 4ft.

Doubt whether you'll find them in church though:grin::cheesy::grin:

Quote Originally Posted by 2manylures View Post
    My apologies:smiley:

I took it for granted that others would know them.

They're floating jointed Rapalas, 13cm long, weighing 16grs dive to around 4ft.

Doubt whether you'll find them in church though:grin::cheesy::grin:
    Sorry 2ML,

'Church' refers to the Tackle Warehouse in Coorparoo (Brisbane).

We go there at least once a week to worship...

Pete

Hi Brian, I also failed to mention that I use a jigging type assist hook on the front split ring with a long piece of dacron, maybe this allows the mouth of the barra to open up further before placing undue stress on the rear hook. Cheers scott.

Quote Originally Posted by vet View Post
    Nice efforts there Matt. Now you have an excuse to come up here and test them out. I'd personally wait for another month or so till it cools off properly, I always find it difficult fishing during the months while it is cooling but once it's consistently cold the fishing gets easier.

To answer the first question of whether it's worth the money I'd say a definite yes, and the 3 tackle boxes full of xraps attest to this. Unlike the rest of you I haven't ever had a 12 break, but I've only landed 50 or so fish on this lure as I use the jointed or the 14 predominantly and haven't ever had them fail. Maybe it's my softly softly approach that does it?
    Another wooden shallow lure is the rapala long cast. I don't personally use it but a friend of mine who like fishing shallow water always tries to steal it.
    cheers scott.
    Thanks Scott, I'm just working on barra lures as an excuse to get away and get my IBD fix. How nice it would be to duck out to the dam for a few hours after work.......

I can't believe you've never split an X Rap 12! obviously your assist rig works, and chance of a photo?

Cheers,

Matt

Sorry 2ML,

'Church' refers to the Tackle Warehouse in Coorparoo (Brisbane).

We go there at least once a week to worship...

Pete
    No worries Pete,

Please excuse the southern ignorance, I had no idea :grin: plus I'm a heathen when it comes to tackle shops due to isolation :shocked:

From what I understand from mates around the country, I don't believe a lot of tackle shops actually stock much in the way of Rapala and a few other proven old derelict US brands these days due to the Jap influence over the past 5-6years & moreso the super cheap Chinese influence {garbage imo} in more recent times.

No dramas 2ML. You're probably right in your assessment anyway.

Sometimes I wish I was more isolated - would save me many $...

Regs

Pete

No dramas 2ML. You're probably right in your assessment anyway.

Sometimes I wish I was more isolated - would save me many $...

Regs

Pete
    "www" put paid to isolation pretty much full bloody stop unfortunately

As for saving a couple of bucks, don't fool yaself:grin: isolation doesn't discriminate between the poor & the poorer:cheesy:

Hi Matt, I have the photo you wanted, also took the opportunity to show a far superior lure than the 12, these lures have caught a couple of fish, I hope the teeth marks show up. Since I don't post much I thought I'd slip in a photo of a rather unhappy camper, if only your backbone jigs would stick into barra as easily as they stuck into Trev. Not a casting error but the result of a barra throwing the hooks near the boat on the strike.
    Cheers scott.

Agree with Roo, Matt some great work there...

Roo, both Kyle & I have caught barra on the R2S triho but have now abandoned this lure for bombers. While the triho works well all of ours died after they caught a single barra or just died in the middle of a session.

They are a 'cheap' lure that have some design faults as they crack very easily and fill up with water as a result. We will not use them again!

Now that Matt has some mods for bombers, we are confident that Kyle will hang onto some more barra! He has now lost 3 tournament barra and four lures to the failure of the rear eyelet.

The never ending search for the perfect barra lure continues...

Regs

Pete
    Pete, you and Kyle have had a bad run of breakages....the only lures I've broken were soft plastics :grin:

Hi Matt, I have the photo you wanted, also took the opportunity to show a far superior lure than the 12, these lures have caught a couple of fish, I hope the teeth marks show up. Since I don't post much I thought I'd slip in a photo of a rather unhappy camper, if only your backbone jigs would stick into barra as easily as they stuck into Trev. Not a casting error but the result of a barra throwing the hooks near the boat on the strike.
    Cheers scott.
    Gabe did a fantastic job. It didnt hurt a bit . The part that hurt was losing the custom rod and reel. You see l felt this sting in my arm so l put the rod down to see what had got me ! As we where inspecting the damage the rod and reel just slipped over the side.

Cheers scott.
    Scotty, them is some pretty loved jointeds mate!! I have a few with no where near as many scars, but have been more effective than the 12's....actually, I will goout on a limb and say I am not a fan of the 12's for casting at all!!!....I cant get a really good action slow rolling...they deffinately need some pace...compared to a B52 or jointed Xrap for example.....Trolling, I love them though. What I define as slow rolling maybe different to others...but its slow...not pausing to create slow.

Steve

2many lures, I have 1 of them, as you said, most tackleshops wont stock them, I got mine OS on the WWW too. To be honest, I have been lacking in my use of the lure...you have spurred me to give it more of a run this year. cheers mate
    I dont have ADHD......ohh look a squirrell !!!

Hi All

I Finally get a chance to get back on line (Sydney office) - talk about withdrawrals

Great to see the thread progressing with some good info & ideas!

Matts modifications to the X Rap are similar to what I tried on my last Mondy trip with just a couple of variations
    1 - my wire (coated) runs through the sacrificial split at the rear anchor point. A flemmish eye is used at the treble before the wire is crimped - the treble extends around 1cm further behind the rear of the lure
    2 - I used a tiny elastic band at the rear of the lure to keep the wire close to the lures body to reduce foul ups of the treble in the wire!

This set up worked - with no noticeable effect on the lures action - ( the lure still suspended with the lighter coated wire)
    3 fish were hooked - 1 landed & 2 lost (bricked & gill raked) - but the hooks held :smiley:
    A little bit more work will go into it - but its certainly worth working on

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by darylive View Post
    What are you insinuating? :undecided: I resemble that remark :rolleyes:

i haven't bought a lure for about ten minutes :wink:

Rob Gadens New Warlocks :smiley: Well I needed some! :huh:
    I didn't have any :tongue:
    How could you take any offence when you openly show everyone the gazillion unopened lures in your boat .......... gotta be known as a Daryl purchase :wink:

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Nice efforts there Matt. Now you have an excuse to come up here and test them out. I'd personally wait for another month or so till it cools off properly, I always find it difficult fishing during the months while it is cooling but once it's consistently cold the fishing gets easier.

To answer the first question of whether it's worth the money I'd say a definite yes, and the 3 tackle boxes full of xraps attest to this. Unlike the rest of you I haven't ever had a 12 break, but I've only landed 50 or so fish on this lure as I use the jointed or the 14 predominantly and haven't ever had them fail. Maybe it's my softly softly approach that does it?
    Another wooden shallow lure is the rapala long cast. I don't personally use it but a friend of mine who like fishing shallow water always tries to steal it.
    cheers scott.
    Hey Scotty

you must be one hell of a lucky bloke to have not destroyed a XR12 - :smiley: & I certainly dont think that the softly softly has anything to do with it ...... like you mention in another post - its the jaw opening pressure that does the big damage ( top & bottom jaw hook up or gill rakers & jaw ) - just so much pressure when they open their mouth

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Cheers scott.
    Thanks for sharing that tip on rigging the 12s Scott, and those jointed are seriously battle scarred! Awesome!

Geez the other pic is a bit of a gut turner, I heard Gabe got the job done with the knife, as her husband couldn't handle the (human) blood..... Not a pretty picture.

Cheers,

matt