Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: A lures true value!

Re: A lures true value!

So what gives you confidence in a lure ?

Why did you buy a lure in the first place ?

Do you buy a lure / placcy on recommendations like reading a thread like this ?

How much of it is a spur of the moment thing ....... a Daryl purchase :cheesy:

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post

Chris
    All good questions Chris...

These days I either buy a lure for a particular application (and search high & wide until I find the right one) or I am replacing lost stock...

I think confidence comes with success. I used to hate bombers but since September 2009 Kyle has converted me! Still cannot get comfortable with B52s.

Spur of the moment purchases still occur though, especially when some new bling hits the shelves! Obviously these type of threads have some input but I use them more for 'lure tuning' ideas than the selection of lures themselves...

Regs

Pete

Hey guys I have only read the first page but just want to say this...

The rapala is a lure that is a xr12 so its must be for big fish know one would sit down and design a lure more then 10 cm that would be put on the world market and not make it to suit fishing not just for barra but most fish across the board, Its simply poor design and if ya watch the rapala movie with the premotion of catching world monsters it simply does not stand up!

Another idea is that they are a cheap lure in the US and that you get what ya pay for but I realy dont think that's it.

Pesonally they are the best barra lure off the shelf and the soft design wont stop me buying them. I landed that 119cm fish last trip hooked on the front trebble (standard trebble) and I have ripped the bum out of one on a 66cm fish. Both fish landed so it payed for itself and to me thats the bottom line....

Cheers Nath

Quote Originally Posted by Peter4 View Post

These days I either buy a lure for a particular application (and search high & wide until I find the right one) or I am replacing lost stock...

I think confidence comes with success. I used to hate bombers but since September 2009 Kyle has converted me! Still cannot get comfortable with B52s.

Spur of the moment purchases still occur though, especially when some new bling hits the shelves! Obviously these type of threads have some input but I use them more for 'lure tuning' ideas than the selection of lures themselves...

Regs

Pete
    Some might see this as a pretty basic & simple topic ....... way down on the list of barra fishing priorities - and maybe it is ...... however without the right lure & technique you probably wont get the results that you are looking for .

The amount of lures that I culled from my tackle boxes had me shaking my head - I would have easily bought another top of the line barra outfit & had change for another quality rod with the money saved!
    There were lures bought through inexperience & ones bought through recommendations ........ most now sit idle.
    I reckon with a range of 10 lures / plastics my bases would be covered at most impoundments ( how much money could be saved:tongue

I now have a tackle box for my X Raps :rolleyes:

This thread is based around the X Rap - even with the design faults , is it the best impoundment barra HB on the market :huh:

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by Tropicaltrout View Post
    Hey guys I have only read the first page but just want to say this...

The rapala is a lure that is a xr12 so its must be for big fish know one would sit down and design a lure more then 10 cm that would be put on the world market and not make it to suit fishing not just for barra but most fish across the board, Its simply poor design and if ya watch the rapala movie with the premotion of catching world monsters it simply does not stand up!

Another idea is that they are a cheap lure in the US and that you get what ya pay for but I realy dont think that's it.

Pesonally they are the best barra lure off the shelf and the soft design wont stop me buying them. I landed that 119cm fish last trip hooked on the front trebble (standard trebble) and I have ripped the bum out of one on a 66cm fish. Both fish landed so it payed for itself and to me thats the bottom line....

Cheers Nath
    Hi Nath ...... glad you joined in :cool:

Actually the Rapala X Raps would be considered as middle + end bass lures (above the likes of Heddon , Bomber , Norman , Rebel , Storm , Cotton Cordell) but behind the Japanese offerings from companies like Lucky Craft , Strike king , Jackall Bros , Evergreen etc.
    They are designed for the US bass (largemouth , smallmouth , striped etc) which just dont have jaw pressure (opening) of our barra .......... If we didn't upgrade the hooks to super strong owners - I doubt we would be having the same issues ........ our trebles would just get straightened :cry: So in essence - we have created the problem with our upgrades!

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Hi Nath ...... glad you joined in :cool:

Actually the Rapala X Raps would be considered as middle + end bass lures (above the likes of Heddon , Bomber , Norman , Rebel , Storm , Cotton Cordell) but behind the Japanese offerings from companies like Lucky Craft , Strike king , Jackall Bros , Evergreen etc.
    They are designed for the US bass (largemouth , smallmouth , striped etc) which just dont have jaw pressure (opening) of our barra .......... If we didn't upgrade the hooks to super strong owners - I doubt we would be having the same issues ........ our trebles would just get straightened :cry: So in essence - we have created the problem with our upgrades!

Chris
    Yeah I hear ya mate but as I said they do premote the rapala lure as a world wide product and in there video its premoted as catching massive nile perch, which in my regard must too have that pressure so to me its simply a design floor.

I would rather see on the packet a symbol if what you say is right. "Designed For USA Standards"

Hooks well my rap got busterd on the 66 cm fish and it was standard go figure:undecided: so in that case I reckon its just simply poor design:wink: If you look at the profile against most lures it tapers off at the rear to almost nothing creating very little strenth or resistance in turn they rip....

The end result a fish that cost 20 bucks for a life time of memories pff 20 bucks WTFC go get one and land a dream I say, and put the ripped up lure on the shelf as a display they look great and a good talking point for the visitors:tongue:

Quote Originally Posted by Tropicaltrout View Post
    Yeah I hear ya mate but as I said they do premote the rapala lure as a world wide product and in there video its premoted as catching massive nile perch, which in my regard must too have that pressure so to me its simply a design floor.

I would rather see on the packet a symbol if what you say is right. "Designed For USA Standards"

Hooks well my rap got busterd on the 66 cm fish and it was standard go figure:undecided: so in that case I reckon its just simply poor design:wink: If you look at the profile against most lures it tapers off at the rear to almost nothing creating very little strenth or resistance in turn they rip....

The end result a fish that cost 20 bucks for a life time of memories pff 20 bucks WTFC go get one and land a dream I say, and put the ripped up lure on the shelf as a display they look great and a good talking point for the visitors:tongue:
    I agree with you on the design fault ....... Its something that stood out the minute I destroyed my first one
    All the adds & the original promo video I saw - referred to bass ...... so its interesting about the nile perch ........ ( have seen other rapalas adds targeting the Tiger fish etc - but they were not X Raps.
    Regardless its a design fault ..... but like you , yep the value is there

chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Chris
    What gives confidence? Success by my self, or a mate , throwing that offering. Word of mouth between mates is a powerfull tool when it comes to thumbs up or thumbs down with a lure. Theres no B.S on whether it works or not, and the camp fire show and tell usually has a fair showing of critics to offer an opinion, or relate an experience.

Why did I buy the lure in the first place. Now days its to try and fill a void in my tackle box that may have been exposed by fishing differant conditions, weather or situations. Perfect exanple was the effectiveness of fizzers compared to poppers one day during the rise in water levels. I didnt have a fizzer in the boat then, only poppers. I now have a couple of fizzers.

Do you buy a lure on recommendations on a thread like this. Yes, I would. Here there is no goobldy gook, mis leading or fanciful utterings. Its what works in the real world for the average fisho, and what can be done to improve whats out there, based on whats been used/discarded by the average fisho. Its impossable to try every lure or plac out there in the limited time you get to spend on a barra dam when based in Brisbane, so honest help in sorting the wheat from the chaff is very usefull. Mags are another source of "good oil", just sort the advertising hype out from the reality first. Tournies like ABT, with a large group of good fishos angling competively, are also a good way to see whats new in the game.

How much of it is a spur of the moment thing? Every now and then the tackle rat in me twitches his whiskers, and I just have to buy something, regardless. Also, if it looks the goods, and I havent seen it before, it mite get tossed in the shopping basket. Picked up a big R2S surface walker/popper thingy a couple of weeks ago like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter4 View Post

Regs

Pete
    Funny world. B52 is one of my go to lures, and I struggle with Bombers, they run to shallow for me. Same as the Ecogears.
    Remember talking with you about the purple or blue Gaddens Classic that Kyle used to tie on when things were tuff, and I hated that colour and never used it?

Quote Originally Posted by BR65 View Post
    What gives confidence? Success by my self, or a mate , throwing that offering. Word of mouth between mates is a powerfull tool when it comes to thumbs up or thumbs down with a lure. Theres no B.S on whether it works or not, and the camp fire show and tell usually has a fair showing of critics to offer an opinion, or relate an experience.

Why did I buy the lure in the first place. Now days its to try and fill a void in my tackle box that may have been exposed by fishing differant conditions, weather or situations. Perfect exanple was the effectiveness of fizzers compared to poppers one day during the rise in water levels. I didnt have a fizzer in the boat then, only poppers. I now have a couple of fizzers.

Do you buy a lure on recommendations on a thread like this. Yes, I would. Here there is no goobldy gook, mis leading or fanciful utterings. Its what works in the real world for the average fisho, and what can be done to improve whats out there, based on whats been used/discarded by the average fisho. Its impossable to try every lure or plac out there in the limited time you get to spend on a barra dam when based in Brisbane, so honest help in sorting the wheat from the chaff is very usefull. Mags are another source of "good oil", just sort the advertising hype out from the reality first. Tournies like ABT, with a large group of good fishos angling competively, are also a good way to see whats new in the game.

How much of it is a spur of the moment thing? Every now and then the tackle rat in me twitches his whiskers, and I just have to buy something, regardless. Also, if it looks the goods, and I havent seen it before, it mite get tossed in the shopping basket. Picked up a big R2S surface walker/popper thingy a couple of weeks ago like that.
    Nice ...... :cool:

Those camp fire tackletours are well worth the price of admission - lots of great real time information is shared about lures , rigging , upgrades & just as importantly techniques used. ......... part of having a good network!

There is no doubt that at times a certain lure or technique - will fire head & shoulders above anything else .......... but should one carry a lure for every contingency :undecided: ....... probably yes if you have the means & room > but only if you have presence of mind to use them :wink:

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

the fireside talks are one thing i am looking forward to in june seeing and hearing about all the mods that people try and have success with .and a few brewskies:tongue: :tongue:

Hi Nagg, A good shallow running wooden lure is made by Leeds, unfortunately the tail section pulls out of these as well, the good thing though is they can't fill up with water. If I have time I will dig one out and take a photo of it for you. cheers scott.

Quote Originally Posted by vet View Post
    Hi Nagg, A good shallow running wooden lure is made by Leeds, unfortunately the tail section pulls out of these as well, the good thing though is they can't fill up with water. If I have time I will dig one out and take a photo of it for you. cheers scott.

Leads lures are no longer made. Great lures though with awesome wobble/action. First lure i ever bought was leads lure and i couodlt stop catching bass (it was red shallow diver plug) on it. Dont know if they would be as durable as hard plastic lure for barra though. they are becoming a bit of a collectors item with some lures seen on ebay going for around $35-40 for a twenty year old lure.

i like RMG lures for barra cos they are tough, good action and not as expensive as some others. agree confidence is a big factor and yes i have bought lures that i have used just once if at all. I have bought lures on reccomendations from here before but mostly from expert advice in the right tackle store and particuler experts/fishing writers that ihave confidence in. i like to buy lures that are functional more than looks, will achieve the desired depth im after, how does it swim, is it going to withstand the fight. but yes, sometimes the lures have hooked me rather than fish though. i think we can all be guilty of that at some stage. :smiley:

Great thread Chris and everyone! Getting back to the original question I'd pay $30 for a barra lure that catches fish consitantly and holds up to barra abuse.

ATM it seems the XRap SXR 12 is the most consistant lure. But doesn't hold up to the abuse, but they still sell like hotcakes, and at least the wire holds up well enough to land the barra - unlike Bomber 15As

I've just spent about four hours modifying and playing with X Raps and Bombers and have come up with a few things.

XRAPs

Although I've only landed one barra on an X Rap, I've seen and heard enough evidence to know how well they work!!! Like Chris, I'm now on my way to having a dedicated XRap tray.

Loving the SXR 12s - very easy to modify to suspend (unlike the SX12s)- just change front trebles to Owner ST66 #2 and the rears to #4 and it suspends beautifully!

One question to the XRap gurus - are the standard rings ok? they look strong, but do I need to upgrade them? and if so are the #5 60lb Hyperwire rings sufficient?

Reading one of Nathan's posts from Feb, http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...d.php?t=161395

Anthony 72 came up with this in regards to pulling rear wires out of X Raps:

I just rig differently to get the pressure off the rear tow point, that way the hook doesn't pull lure apart, or crack and fill with water, so a slight modification means they last a long time. Have used on big mack, tuna and of course awoonga barra hasn't disappointed yet.

I run stinger wire or 80lb to a small wire that hold hook in place as normal until that breaks away when fish strike, all pressure on where you attach the line.

So, I had a bit of a think about it, using this as the basis, and came up with running a wire trace from the centre hook eyelet to the rear treble hook, the treble is attached to the rear eyelet using a light (sacrificial) ring, that will open up easily and allow the treble to come away from the rear eyelet.

See pics for explanation,

Wire is 135lb uncoated, hopefully the crimps will hold up!? Will it work? has anyone tried something like this? is it worth worrying about?

It doesn't look great, but I don't think it will put the barra off? the hooks didn't get hung up on the wire in the half dozen casts I did in the pool. I reckon it should work ok. your thoughts?

Bombers

After discussions with Peter and Kyle about losing several big fish to the rear hook eyelets being pulled out, I thought I'd see if I could come up with a solution for them.

First attempt was to run a wire trace from the front hook eyelet through the middle split ring to the rear ring. If the rear hook eyelet is pulled out, the wire should secure the hook and keep the angler attached to the barra!?

This set up swam well, suspended (with lots of head weight) and looks fine.

But I wanted to try something different. So I pulled out the rear eyelet, drilled it out and twisted up a decent rear wire. Look at the size of the original figure 8 - you can see why barra treat them with distain!

I glued this in with araldite and it was ok, but was rear end heavy.

After a fair bit of trial and error with two bombers, I ended up drilling a hole in the top of the head and adding a brass weight into the head, as well as sticky weight or lead glued on. And removed the centre treble and changed the front to a #2 ST66 (rear #4)

Now they swim nice, suspend nice, and should be able to handle barra ok. But sheeez there was a bit of work involved there. It will be easier now I know what I'm doing.

The bombers did loose a bit of paint here and there, but they look better than having a wire run along outside of the body.

Hopefully the barra will still like them! and not destroy them as easily? Only time on a barra lake will tell......and I'm hanging out for some of that!

Cheers,

Matt

Nice bit of modding matt.

As for X raps...Jury still out for me. I've hardy thrown them and so far not had a looker. They certainly look the business. but so do many in my tackle box that don't see much airtime anymore.

My goto hard bod has been the R2Sea Triho 120s. cheap, cheerfull and it works for me(suitably modded of course)
    Next trip i'll be trying out some new things, giving the old F18 classics another run and dusting off a few oldies that I've recently been gifted. looking forward to some catchup around the fire.

Cheers, Roo.