Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: A lures true value!

Re: A lures true value!

Steve, I'd like to hear more about the Boney Bream Stiffy mate.
    Ive got a couple of these, have thrown them around a bit.
    They give a great flash, but Im yet to raise a looker, let alone a scale.
    What am I doing wong here?
    Do you use them in shallow water only, whats the action?
    If I dont get a fish on one soon, do you want to buy some second hand ones, low Klms, only driven by a little old barra fisho on his way to church Sundays :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by BR65 View Post
    The chrome one pictured is the 3 meter model Chris, which on cast/retrieve gets down about 4 - 5 foot. Ive hung them up in the timber, and allways been able to get them back with my lure prodder, and its about 5 foot long.
    I drive it down hard on splash down, then just pulse it back very gently.
    I'm looking for a timber lure that will track shallow on landing - like a bomber / B52 ........ fished with a bang bang bang - stop retrieve ( & be sitting at 2-4 ft)

As for the Stiffy BB - Brian
    You need to fish it with a constant snap retrieve to get the best out of it.
    So your braid is tight & snaps on the water surface when twitched ........ so its a constant hard downward snap which gets the roll & side to side motion (rather than a straight glide) - You also stall the lure as well - Certainly a great lure over the shallows

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Brian, Chris pretty much summed it up. There is no 'set in stone' retrieve, like all lures..but what Chris said pretty much is the way I work them. I sometimes let them suspend for a pause, or just twitch to the boat. Like most lures, time and place are required.....from now on in the winter fringes is perfect really...bright sunny days, fish in semi shallows holding on submerged timber etc.

Cheers Steve
    I dont have ADHD......ohh look a squirrell !!!

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    I'm looking for a timber lure that will track shallow on landing - like a bomber / B52 ........ fished with a bang bang bang - stop retrieve ( & be sitting at 2-4 ft)
    The lure you need Chris is the Ridgeback Torpedo. A very tough 12cm narrow profile timber lure (Aussie made) that dives to 1m maximum. I have 6 or 7 of them..

Unfortunately Ridgeback lures went out of business two years ago...

The bonus in that was I picked up most of mine for $5 each from BCF clearance bins!:smiley:

Regs

Pete

Sounds like how and where Ive been throwng them Steve.
    Prob a confidence thing again, I havent scored a fish on one, so confidence with them is low.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    Brian, Chris pretty much summed it up. There is no 'set in stone' retrieve, like all lures..but what Chris said pretty much is the way I work them. I sometimes let them suspend for a pause, or just twitch to the boat. Like most lures, time and place are required.....from now on in the winter fringes is perfect really...bright sunny days, fish in semi shallows holding on submerged timber etc.

Cheers Steve
    Sorry Steve ...... didn't know you were on line

I actually think that the BB is a difficult lure to learn how to fish - I was fortunate enough to spend a fair bit of time with Matt ( Barraboss) who is a master of using the BB - His style was not to different to mine but had much more wrist snap which gave the lure that fantastic action. ......

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Im guessing a very fast tapered stick to get the most from that snap snap action?
    He cetainly was nailing some big Tinaroo barra on them.

Nice looking shallow diver Pete, hows the success rate to date?

Quote Originally Posted by BR65 View Post
    Im guessing a very fast tapered stick to get the most from that snap snap action?
    He cetainly was nailing some big Tinaroo barra on them.
    You certainly need a stiff rod - I reckon you could easily snap a rod on the cast.
    Certainly a shorter rod is best - I was using a Millerod TEBB & now I'm using the Pflueger 15kg impoundment barra!
    Yeh Matt & Steve were both doing well - along with Jason Wilhelm !

I tell you what though - I wouldn't want to fish a whole session with one - Phew talk about tiring

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Haven't used them much in the last year or so but they were barra magnets in 2007/08. Lost a few to monsters and successfully landed barra to 97cm on them.

Sometimes you can still find them. I picked one up at Capalaba BCF in November for $5. Rainbow colour - caught a big cattie!

I think they will be perfect lures for shallow winter fishing. My entire collection will be coming to the Committee Meeting!:wink:

pete the ridgeback 120mm in silver and black back is my go to lure at lenthalls swims to around 1.5mtrs and has accounted many a fish,cost of lures dont mean much to me anymore , i pick one up every now and then to hide the pain of the prices,i used to bitch and moan at the prices but now its the sheer enjoyment of hooking into these great fish that keepme buying them ,the x12s have been good to me but i havnt tangled with a big big girl yet ,used them yesterday and today on 800mm models and encounted 16 with the same lure and its still intact ,love the things and look forward to having one torn apart by an unstoppable:smiley:

Have a look at these

Quote Originally Posted by warrior View Post
    pete the ridgeback 120mm in silver and black back is my go to lure at lenthalls swims to around 1.5mtrs and has accounted many a fish,cost of lures dont mean much to me anymore , i pick one up every now and then to hide the pain of the prices,i used to bitch and moan at the prices but now its the sheer enjoyment of hooking into these great fish that keepme buying them ,the x12s have been good to me but i havnt tangled with a big big girl yet ,used them yesterday and today on 800mm models and encounted 16 with the same lure and its still intact ,love the things and look forward to having one torn apart by an unstoppable:smiley:
    There's two kinds of Ridgebacks Al - the Torpedo that dives to 1m and the Scud which dives to 2m. Both are equally effective...

Funny when you look into your tacklebox and your 'go to' lure of a year or two ago now rarely gets a swim.

To me the most important qualities of a lure besides its effectiveness is the 'feel' it gives you and the level of confidence you have with it. Comfort is probably the best word...

Regs

Pete

definatly a confidence thing with me ,i only have to get a good whack or hookup with a certain lure and it makes a hell of a difference with my fishing mood.i was a bit sceptical with the x12s till they proved themselves in front of me,i new they worked but using them for yourself and getting results means heaps to my fishing confidence

Quote Originally Posted by warrior View Post
    definatly a confidence thing with me ,i only have to get a good whack or hookup with a certain lure and it makes a hell of a difference with my fishing mood.i was a bit sceptical with the x12s till they proved themselves in front of me,i new they worked but using them for yourself and getting results means heaps to my fishing confidence
    Confidence has to be a factor in working out a lures value.I seem to be more relaxed when I use a lure that has worked for me in the past,and that has to transmit to the fishing effort as a whole.I had problems with the Hollowbellies when I first used them but when I whacked on a Dropbear intensity levels dropped off and started to enjoy the time.:cool:You soon pick up confidence,Hollowbellies are fine now.:wink: I think paying out big dollars for a lure always weighs on some of our minds,especially in the Timber.Theres a few xraps in the tacklebox.Just need to stop working so much:angry: and get out and use them.
    Paulo