Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast

Thread: A lures true value!

Re: A lures true value!

Quote Originally Posted by davez104 View Post
    And that comes into the confidence thing too Chris. Sometimes when you are throwing a lure that "supposedly" works, but you're not confident in, you go into a sort of autopilot mode when retrieving. You definitely won't put the most into it after the first few casts. Just think about the amount of effort you put into that first retrieve after a visible follow or missed strike, that's what we should be doing every cast.

Dave.
    hi Dave

If I throw a lure & if it doesn't look , swim or feel right after a few casts - I cut it off & replace it ........ If its a new lure , I play around with the retrieve to see if I can get a better action - If I dont like what I see - its gone.
    with hardbodies - I find it easier to maintain focus & intensity ...... but slow rolling a placcy and you certainly go into that autopilot mode ( thats why I started to introduce little rips & jiggles into my plastic retrieve)

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Thumbs up Re: A lures true value!

Quote Originally Posted by davez104 View Post
    And that comes into the confidence thing too Chris. Sometimes when you are throwing a lure that "supposedly" works, but you're not confident in, you go into a sort of autopilot mode when retrieving. You definitely won't put the most into it after the first few casts. Just think about the amount of effort you put into that first retrieve after a visible follow or missed strike, that's what we should be doing every cast.

Dave.

Dave I totally agree with you on this. If your not confident, of have not had the success others have your effort and concentration will be down...when really it should be the other way round hey.

Another thing thats difficult, actually impossible to compare is people. Everyones action is different even when trying to mimick one and other. So I guess, some lures are suited to certain actions by certain folk..ie Kyle the barra slayer and his bombers, whitey and his unmodified slickies, sneaky brian and anything he throws...some lethal combinations!!!!:smiley:

I have found with the Xraps I cant get an action out of them at the slooow roll that I want from them...I cant feel the action at that pace...B52 and jointed Xraps I can, thus its confidence. Storm Susp shads, I have had good success with, but like Chris said, If it doesn't feel/swim right first few casts (and you can tell really easilly too) then its chopped off until I find one thats right....I have done this with Slickies, HB's, B52's need certain mods to get good action and suspension etc.... heaps of lures, actually most.....I dare say everyone does it these days.

Its where the fine tuning thing comes into..thus all the great tips here from the modificationists on here are great.
    I dont have ADHD......ohh look a squirrell !!!

Bloody hell this has turned out to be a great thread!

We spent a couple of hours modding all of our bombers with Matt Fraser on Wednesday night to eliminate the problem we had with losing fish due to rear eyelet failure.

It will now be very interesting to see how the modded bombers swim and any further fine tuning that will be required so Kyle gets the same level of confidence with them. I reckon one fish will make all the difference!

Fine tuning has become an art form in itself. Brass weights, sticky weight, different hooks/trebles, split rings, trimming weight, adding buoyancy, stinger hooks, boiling plastics etc etc. Some garages (like mine) are now looking like tackle workshops!

Love it all though!

Regs

Pete & Kyle

Yeh Pete .... It is a good thread:cool:

What Steve has said about individual techniques is spot on - As Johnny Mitchell has said "lures have their optimum action" & we as anglers need to work that out!
    Another less considered point is that the rod has a lot to do with the action - with a tip section that folds allowing greater side action & less of a straight pull through the water....... My Samurai 451 is the rod in my collection that works the X Rap best so its the one I always have an X Rap handing off - Yet a lure like a stiffy bony bream needs a stiff rod to give the best action .

So rod selection for particular lures is important too

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Very good point Chris - hardbodies with a very subtle vibration work better on a rod with a more flexible/softer tip.

Lures like barra classics that have a very pronounced action can be used on stiffer tipped rods. Like you I have particular rods for particular lures.

A good exercise is to try a lure on different rods to see what gives you the best result....

Quote Originally Posted by darylive View Post

Rob Gadens New Warlocks :smiley: Well I needed some! :huh:
    I didn't have any :tongue:
    Nice lures the Warlocks.

Some of Robbies other new creations aren't too bad either.

Odd innit??

When I lived in Kununurra, WA, I used to buy a dozen ABU 'killer' lures at a time for $20 and 10 Nilsies for $ 22. The 'killers' caught barra at the rate of about 6 to 1.
    But that was 40 years ago and the barra were not 'switched on' to the nuances of lures

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyJ123 View Post
    Odd innit??

When I lived in Kununurra, WA, I used to buy a dozen ABU 'killer' lures at a time for $20 and 10 Nilsies for $ 22. The 'killers' caught barra at the rate of about 6 to 1.
    But that was 40 years ago and the barra were not 'switched on' to the nuances of lures
    There use to be an old saying 40yrs ago Bobby......If you cast an ABU "killer" for 20mins and not hook a Barra, they arn't there......I wish I could get my hands on a couple in the Black and Gold color......an excellent lure.
    Good Mates....Good Food.....Good Fishing....Priceless

Quote Originally Posted by 2manylures View Post
    Nice lures the Warlocks.

Some of Robbies other new creations aren't too bad either.
    looks like a nice Salty barra lure that Warlock

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

25% off Rapala lures @ B*F this week...............

Ahhh, just went out to get some of these.

I saw the ad once on the telly last night but they were not on special at the store, dude told me they put the wrong ad up.

Sorry

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Pete62 View Post
    Ahhh, just went out to get some of these.

I saw the ad once on the telly last night but they were not on special at the store, dude told me they put the wrong ad up.

Sorry

Pete
    Bugger Pete ......... lucky I landed some more after my last trip ( 2 lost to fish & 1 to a snag - ouch!)

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Speaking of those X Raps

Here is my modification using a break away system Attachment 59060

The wire is 21kg SURFLON MICRO ULTRA knottable stainless steel nylon coated (40lb Jinkai crimps) & small sacrificial split is used at the rear.

Hooks are #4 & #2 Owner STN66 - with original splits.

Its early days yet ..... but its held on a couple of meter fish (landed) & during fights with a couple of others - Time will tell

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by Whitto View Post
    There use to be an old saying 40yrs ago Bobby......If you cast an ABU "killer" for 20mins and not hook a Barra, they arn't there......I wish I could get my hands on a couple in the Black and Gold color......an excellent lure.
    Not black and gold but they look in good knick.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NICE-VINTAGE-...item1c1333c52e

Steve

Just re read the whole thing, some good stuff in there, thanks to all who contributed