Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $1500-$2500 Sounder/GPS combo?

$1500-$2500 Sounder/GPS combo?

I'm after a gps/sounder, i've been looking for ages, almost bought a lowrance then the HDS came out, almost bought a HDS then I heard the bad reports, now it's time to hand over some cash.

Any suggestions on a GPS/Sounder in the $1500-$2500 range incl nav card?

Have the HDS improved? Is the humminbird with side scan the way? Should I get a raymarine/furuno for the quality??

Any help will be greatly appreciated, as well as dealers and installers in the tweed heads/gold coast area

Thanks in advance

Re: $1500-$2500 Sounder/GPS combo?

I would never buy a combo unless getting into the modular component area such as the Raymarine multifunction displays
    I would get a GPS chartplotter that will do the job then spend as much as I could on a good stand alone sounder

Neil
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Buy a furuno 620 (approx $1600) and a garmin colour chart plotter $800. Your still under your $2500 budget and you wont regret having the two as seperate items.
    Just my opinion but.
    Marto

Have been using a HDS 10 for the last six months with no problems at all.

Having said that it makes a lots of sense to get seperate units if you have the room on your dash.

buy from the states and get 2 combo's,have two 660 northstar combo's both bought over seas for around the $2000 delivered,always have a backup then,no probs with mine yet 2 years old
    cheers rosco

Quote Originally Posted by marto78 View Post
    Buy a furuno 620 (approx $1600) and a garmin colour chart plotter $800. Your still under your $2500 budget and you wont regret having the two as seperate items.
    Just my opinion but.
    Marto
    yep try blue heron marine and youll have bulk change and 2 units that will $hit over any lowrance combo

I agree with siegfried blue herron rock for bargains and 2 combo units is better than 1 imho.

not sure about the two seperate units.

fishmtb, the one big problem with a combo is if anything goes wrong with the combo, you are left without anything. With side by side units you will be down only one unit if something dies. Plus and a hugely big plus, you get to work both screens at full size. You do the math and do the comparisons, If you have room you will opt for twin units.
    Jack.

well a few theories are to go for 2 seperate units. if the sounder fails you can still get to your favourite gps points, may not be any fish there but you can still get there. if the gps fails you can still cruise about all day and hopefully find some fish with the sounder around about where you think you are.
    other way of thinking may be to go for a single unit with mem card and all the extra bling that makes them so usefull to take snapshots of what is down there and exactly where you are.
    i have a 997sic combo and at the moment am still getting to fine tune it. most anoying thing is scrolling through the sceens , but if i had a seperate unit i would still be using nearly as many screens to scroll through as i have set up my 2d and now do not touch any settings. if the unit fails it wont be a great loss as it CONTINUES TO BLOW BL:cry: :cry: DY 25 KNTS EVERY WEAKEND I HAVE OFF.

To me its very important to have screen size. I run a Furuno 585 in a 17' centre console as it gives me the detail that results in more fish. I would not like to share the screen resources of my sounder with my chartplotter
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

hmm, twin units. I've got an older lowrance X97 at the mment but it's not the best, keeps losing the bottom and struggles in 50m plus.

Maybe i should get a chartplotter now, see how it goes, and upgrade the sounder when the X97 carks it. I was going to palm the 97 off to my brother in law though as a bit of good karma.

Yep, still undecided.

For the dollars you have suggested you can get two good quality stand alone units easily.
    Jack.

I wouldnt own a combo if i was given one for free! Seperate units are heaps easier to use, been in boats with fuurno combos and i hate them.

Horse and Dean 1,tunaticer, and Rosco, have put it in a nut shell. Go individual units.
    David