Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Waterpolice on nightshift now

Re: Waterpolice on nightshift now

Annex 1, Section 2, paragraph (d).

(d) A power‑driven vessel of less than 12 metres in length may carry the uppermost light at a height of not less than 2.5 metres above the gunwale. When however a masthead light is carried in addition to sidelights and a sternlight or the all–round light prescribed in rule 23(c)(i) is carried in addition to sidelights, then such masthead light or all‑round light shall be carried at least 1 metre higher than the sidelights.

The not less then 2.5m above the gunwale is interesting.
    Does that mean I have to have a 2.5m mast on the 3.7m tinny??

Pretty weird that the link I put up seems to be pretty 'vague' when you read the ColRegs.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Quote Originally Posted by finga View Post
    Annex 1, Section 2, paragraph (d).

(d) A power‑driven vessel of less than 12 metres in length may carry the uppermost light at a height of not less than 2.5 metres above the gunwale. When however a masthead light is carried in addition to sidelights and a sternlight or the all–round light prescribed in rule 23(c)(i) is carried in addition to sidelights, then such masthead light or all‑round light shall be carried at least 1 metre higher than the sidelights.

The not less then 2.5m above the gunwale is interesting.
    Does that mean I have to have a 2.5m mast on the 3.7m tinny??

Pretty weird that the link I put up seems to be pretty 'vague' when you read the ColRegs.
    But you must read the whole paragraph!!

Yep. Goodo Andy
    So when do you need an all round light that's 2.5m above the gunwale??

II reckon you could find something wrong with every boat on the water at night.

I have no doubt about that.

Once you add a canopy to an open runabout, there is no way that the standard white light provided by the manufacturer will be seen through 360º.

Likewise, once you add a solid baitboard at the back, same thing.

I used to worry about this when I have been night fishing, more so because I don't want to be unseen on the water because of the canopy than because of potential problems with the police, so when I fish at night, I always plonk a bodgied up portable light on top of my canopy with a lead that plugs into a cigarette lighter socket on the boat.

As you can see from the picture, this is as uncomplicated as it gets - a small white nav light screwed to a plastic box with a cord coming out of it at the end of which is a plug.

Very cheap to do. Works a treat. When I fish at night, I am completely legal and visible in all weather.

The additional benefit of this arrangement is that because the light sits on top of my canopy, it does not invade my eyes nor shine down on the water close to my boat. I usually pull out the normal white light on its stem from the back of the boat (to be replaced when underway again) such that I have one less encumbrance in the way when I fish out the back of the boat.

Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch

Yep. Goodo Andy
    So when do you need an all round light that's 2.5m above the gunwale??
    When you are carrying the lights prescriped in Rule 23, but not Rule 23(c)(i)!! Confusing hey?

Rule 23

Power-driven vessels underway
    (a) A power-driven vessel underway shall exhibit:
    (i) a masthead light forward;
    (ii) a second masthead light abaft of and higher than the forward one; except that a vessel of less than 50 metres in length shall not be obliged to exhibit such light but may do so;
    (iii) sidelights;
    (iv) a sternlight.
    (b) An air-cushion vessel when operating in the non-displacement mode shall, in addition to the lights prescribed in paragraph (a) of this Rule, exhibit an all-round flashing yellow light.
    (c) (i) A power-driven vessel of less than 12 metres in length may in lieu of the lights prescribed in paragraph (a) of this Rule exhibit an all-round white light and sidelights;
    (ii) a power-driven vessel of less than 7 metres in length whose maximum speed does not exceed 7 knots may in lieu of the lights prescribed in paragraph (a) of this Rule exhibit an all-round white light and shall, if practicable, also exhibit sidelights;
    (iii) the masthead light or all-round white light on a power-driven vessel of less than 12 metres in length may be displaced from the fore and aft centreline of the vessel if centreline fitting is not practicable, provided that the sidelights are combined in one lantern which shall be carried on the fore and aft centreline of the vessel or located as nearly as practicable in the same fore and aft line as the masthead light or the all-round white light.

Actually, rereading that I am not sure that what I have posted for Annex 1(2)(d) is actually correct with regards to the 2.5m. I dont have the colregs in front of me, but that text is cut and pasted from a website.

Regardless, the 1m part is still correct

Quote Originally Posted by charleville View Post
    I have no doubt about that.

Once you add a canopy to an open runabout, there is no way that the standard white light provided by the manufacturer will be seen through 360º.

Likewise, once you add a solid baitboard at the back, same thing.

I used to worry about this when I have been night fishing, more so because I don't want to be unseen on the water because of the canopy than because of potential problems with the police, so when I fish at night, I always plonk a bodgied up portable light on top of my canopy with a lead that plugs into a cigarette lighter socket on the boat.

As you can see from the picture, this is as uncomplicated as it gets - a small white nav light screwed to a plastic box with a cord coming out of it at the end of which is a plug.

Very cheap to do. Works a treat. When I fish at night, I am completely legal and visible in all weather.

The additional benefit of this arrangement is that because the light sits on top of my canopy, it does not invade my eyes nor shine down on the water close to my boat. I usually pull out the normal white light on its stem from the back of the boat (to be replaced when underway again) such that I have one less encumbrance in the way when I fish out the back of the boat.

Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch

i am guessing my ALL ROUND white light should be ok then

Quote Originally Posted by Razgo- View Post
    Thats the best place for it Razgo. Highly visible, and the light doesnt affect your vision when underway.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Razgo- View Post

What a beauty!

:cool:

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealAndy View Post
    When you are carrying the lights prescriped in Rule 23, but not Rule 23(c)(i)!! Confusing hey?
    yep on the confusing. Ta Andy :smiley:

all comes back to the copper, canopy up ok,canopy down illegal, am now running white light at 1900mm above floor height (custom extension) that should cover my arse, what regs next?? cheers alex

Quote Originally Posted by ssab1 View Post
    all comes back to the copper, canopy up ok,canopy down illegal, am now running white light at 1900mm above floor height (custom extension) that should cover my arse, what regs next?? cheers alex

At the end of the day, as long as the white light is unobstructed, and is 1m above the running lights and bright enough (hard to test), it is legal.

My white light used to be on a short pole at the stern, like most runabouts that are sold. I put a new light on a 600mm pole above my canopy. The wiring is concealed inside the poles, under the gunwale to the switch panel. This gives great all round light, and now doesn't blind me at night. The old light would relect on the inside of the windscreen. When driving at night, all I could see was a reflection of my own face (took me a while to figure out that it wasn't a sea monster up ahead).:wink:
    Cheers,
    Leigh (Kero).

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealAndy View Post
    At the end of the day, as long as the white light is unobstructed, and is 1m above the running lights and bright enough (hard to test), it is legal.
    thats mine now,but the moment I stand "to play a fish eg" it is obstructed and hence illegal,

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin_Mike View Post
    Thats the best place for it Razgo. Highly visible, and the light doesnt affect your vision when underway.

Mike
    the only problem i had was trying to replace it with a LED light setup. pulled it apart and took it down to BIAS boating to try and match it with an LED setup but gave up and put it back.

I am sure there you can buy those LED converters somewhere? like with a torched you can buy an adapter type thing that sits in teh socket and you just pop in the new LED bulb.

i think it might have been a camping store i seen them once.

russ