Thread: North Pine Newby - Heeeeelp :-)

North Pine Newby - Heeeeelp :-)

Howdy All,

Well my good Mate Stu (stuart_db) managed to snaffle a permit this time round so we'll be slappin it on the side of my little Edgetracker and having a crack next weekend, this weekends out but I'm sure they'll be plenty of guys hitting it anyway.

Having never fished it before myself, has anyone got any tips they could pass on as to where to find the fish, lures that work, techniques etc, remembering we are C&R only so won't fish the joint out. Any help would be appreciated, sounds like a completely different animal to the likes of Hinze that I'm getting fairly familiar with, the edges don't seem to be where the fish are found or so I'm told, Cheers.
    My PB's - Have Photos of most of them.

Flathead - 98cm - Bait - Tweed River
    Spottie Mackerel - 105cm - Bait - Palmy Reef
    Australian Bass - 48cm - Spinnerbait - Spot X
    Yellowbelly - 48cm - Yellowbelly - Jackall - Sommerset
    Bream - 38cm - MF40 - Nerang River
    Whiting - 40cm - Bait - Nerang River
    Jack - 40cm (Pitiful I Know) - Live Bait - Coomera River
    Barra - 104cm - Storm Pro Paddle Tail - Mondy

Re: North Pine Newby - Heeeeelp :-)

Evenin mate,
    theres a site called BFO, Brisbane Fishing Online. In the reports section there is a bit on NPD boat based, usually pretty current reports to boot.
    You will have to register to view, but its pretty easy.

The new permits will start from Monday 3 May 2010 so I think it will be busy on that day.:tongue:

Searching the freshwater forum and Freshwater Reports forums here should get you some info.

When I fish there, I try to troll along the edges of the river bed and if the sounder shows some good activity, I'll drift the area casting & jigging various offerings until I find what appeals to the bass / goldens.

Where you launch it's worth making a few runs over the road as it's a obvious structure.

I'd also recommend getting a good map that shows the old riverbed, roads, culverts and bridges. Get it laminated to keep it dry & clean!!!

After launching, most seem to head downstream (turn left) and with winter coming on, it's probably the best option to find schooling fish.

If you turn right and head upstream, once at the mouth of Rush Creek, the dam narrows and fishing is more like river fishing. I look for structures such as rocks outcrops, steep and overgrown banks to cast various lures (hard, soft, spinnerbaits, etc...). You can also try surface lures if you're on the water early and its cloudy.

Lastly, don't forget your redclaw traps and make certain you have plenty of battery power.
    There's no towing service and it can be a long paddle back.:grin:

Good hunting

Luc

PS, I'll suggest to the PRFMA that they should have a 'Newbies Night' or come to a meeting (first Wednesday each month) and pick brains!!

Thanx Brian & Luc, much appreciated, Yep, I reckon it will be busy for a while, my Mate Stu lives not far from the dam, might even leave my tub at his place for a month or so and get a few trips in to get my head around the place. Thanx for the tips, let you know how we go, Cheers, Jamie. :wink:

Newbie night sounds good!
    Cheers and thanks.

"Tackle Whore on a budget..."
    Gonzo II – Brooker 4.5m 40hp Yam & Outlaw Kayak
    Fish Well, Fish Egrell

http://www.ecofishersqld.org.au

Yep, I'm with LNB, a newbie night would go well, if I can't make it due to being based down the Coast, I'm sure my good Mate Stu will go and get the goss for both of us................Stuey, Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate????? :wink:

Smile Re: North Pine Newby - Heeeeelp :-)

Jamie,

Look at you go Jamie getting all the gos for us. A newbie night sounds like a great idea. Getting keen, have seen a boat every morning this week while heading to work on there way out to NPD. RAHHHHH!!! Our turn will come. Thanks for the tips Brian and Luc
    I'd rather fish for a week without catching fish than go to work for a day.

Stuart db

no wories Stu, pack the red claw pots mate.
    Par boiled spud and a pilly, or some rock melon, 15 to 20 foot of water adjacent the flooded green stuf, happy days!

Not a bad idea to hang on to a shrimp or two when checking your pots either.

After the last meeting, the PRFMA committee is looking into running a newbies night.

Keep an eye on the website for any news.

Luc