Thread: Noosa offshore via yak

Noosa offshore via yak (photos added)

Headed to Noosa yesterday to fish offshore chasing spotties with a chance at snaring spanish, tuna or cobes. Launched directly beside middle groyne on main beach which gives protection from any swell from the south and paddled out toward jew shoal at 5.30am. Conditions on the water resembled that of my bathtub on a busy night. Another yakker with a VHF received a call stating the spotties were on at the river mouth so we turned and headed the 3klm back to the mouth of the noosa river less than 1klm from our launch site :rolleyes: .

Spotties were busting sporadically with some small mack tuna and bonito about also. Shared the area successfully with many boaties chucking slugs at feeding fish:cool: . They weren't too interested in lures today with most fish getting landed by boaties slow spinning pillies through the bust ups and of course I had no pillies just lures.:undecided:

Coincidently if the kayakers pulled up to a school of fish they could cast slugs at them for ages before the boil would dive, but if a power boat approached they would start sounding before the boats got within about 100m away and be gone completely not long after the boaties arrived:huh: . We knew if the boats started coming our way we would only get a max of one or two casts in before the fish were gone:sad: . This is just another good example of how effective kayaks are as a stealth fishing craft.:wink:

I found some new and inventive ways to lose fish today including having them jump off the gaff, tangle with my trolling line, bite through the trace at the yak and I even had a quality spotty up over the 90cm mark mauled and stolen by a pod of dolphins less than 10ft under my yak in plain veiw of me and pair of old blokes in a stinkboat watching on....much to their amusement:angry: . I finished the day with only the one fish around the 80cm mark but he was a fat and healthy specimen.

There is still the ever present problem of blokes driving through schools of feeding fish trolling a spread of lures:shocked: . One dirt bag in particular cut through a group of four kayaks and two tinnies trolling a full spread of six lures behind his 20+foot cat straight between myself and another kayaker whilst we were less than 20 metres apart:lipsrsealed: . He seemed a bit confused that we were angry and abusing him. I desperately wanted to cast out across his lines and retrieve back across and tangle his spread but I could see that he was using thick heavy braided lines and my 4kg mono would not have lasted long against this and I wias down to my last slug. Needless to say this school did not resurface anytime soon.:undecided:

Spoke to a bloke in the carpark back at the beach who owned a kayak but was concerned about his fitness offshore but as I said to him, it's amazing when you see a school of fish bust up 200m away how quicly you can paddle over to them. And also on this particular day all the action took place within a klm of the launch spot, so it would have been well within reach of most blokes of average to zero fitness on practically any kayak. You just need to keep any eye on the forecasts and get out there and do it.:tongue:

Cheers all,

Kev
    Last edited by Just_chips; 30-04-2010 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Add photos

Re: Noosa offshore via yak

Great work as usual Kev.
    We really are at the bottom of the pile when there are boats around.
    I had a guy miss me by a couple of metres, down at the mouth of the Caboolture river last month.
    Just crazy stuff.
    Any pics of the fish mate?

Red.
    Cheers and thanks.

"Tackle Whore on a budget..."
    Gonzo II – Brooker 4.5m 40hp Yam & Outlaw Kayak
    Fish Well, Fish Egrell

http://www.ecofishersqld.org.au

Photos attached now Red.

nice one!!!:wink: :wink:

That is bloody awesome! Makes me think about getting a yak
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Serenity!

Gee Kev, looks bloody beautiful out there...
    Cheers and thanks.

Fish Well, Fish Egrell

Yeah Red, conditions out there on Wednesday were terrible. I stayed much longer than I had originally planned to because such beautiful conditions combined with actively feeding fish are just so hard to come by.

Kev

You poor thing. You deserve a good day out Kev.
    I will come with you next time.
    I still have not done an offshore trip.
    Cheers and thanks.

Fish Well, Fish Egrell

This makes me want a yak for offshore work! Around old women etc.

Quote Originally Posted by swabio View Post
    That is bloody awesome! Makes me think about getting a yak
    Well i thought about it..... and ordered myself a Hobie Pro Angler from Sunstate hobie.......

can't wait to get it out on the water........... pity i have to wait until xmas due to being away! At least it will be there when I get home.... ready to rock!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Serenity!

Quote Originally Posted by swabio View Post
    Well i thought about it..... and ordered myself a Hobie Pro Angler from Sunstate hobie.......

can't wait to get it out on the water........... pity i have to wait until xmas due to being away! At least it will be there when I get home.... ready to rock!
    Can't wait to hear all about how many times you fall off mate!
    Nah congrats mate youll love it great way to get on the water. Will have to catchup when you back on home soil mate stay safe!

Looks awesome especially as I havent been able to get offshore for months because of the shitty weather