7 6.42%
  • Blood Knot

51 46.79%
  • Uni Knot

51 46.79%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which knot do you use, take 2

Which knot do you use, take 2

I pretty simple poll here, interested to know what is the most popular knot is for attaching terminal tackle to your line. Line class 10 to 35 kg. :undecided:
    Maturity is not when we start speaking BIG things,it is when we start understanding small things

Re: Which knot do you use, take 2

A blood lock Knot to be precise. LoL

generally i use the locked half blood knot for my terminal tackle in that line class have been tying it since i was 7 yo and can do it in the dark, and strong enough if done properly.

...of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy. ~William Sherwood Fox.

Palomar knot.

Dead simple and very strong.

uni knot, or a palomar

Anybody know the actual rated % strength of the three knots in the poll.
    Maturity is not when we start speaking BIG things,it is when we start understanding small things

uni or palomar for me

None of the above, the knot i use is not named and is so easy to tie and never slips, It also retains at least 90% of the breaking strain of the line. Actually to be honest, I have never had a knot failure or line failure at or near the knot and have tied this knot tens of thousands of times in the last 20 years.
    Jack.

I have strated using the snell a bit as its so eady and very strong, but a good old half blood takes some beating!
    Cheers
    Flatzie

Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post
    None of the above, the knot i use is not named and is so easy to tie and never slips, It also retains at least 90% of the breaking strain of the line. Actually to be honest, I have never had a knot failure or line failure at or near the knot and have tied this knot tens of thousands of times in the last 20 years.

Very interesting. So what does it look like, please?

locked blood knot was the first knot i was taught and it's still the most used knot for me with only a couple of breakages over several years.

jp

Blood knot for me. It's the first knot that anyone should learn and if you only know that one you can get by. I still haven't settled on a braid to leader knot. Every one I have tried either the braid cuts the flouro or the braid knot breaks leaving a little bit of knot left over. Even Bimini doubles are breaking. I'm constantly worried about my braid to flouro conections.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

I used to use the blood knot (one of the varieties, I don't know which one) but I'm starting to use the uni knot a lot more now. Neither knot has ever let me down though, but I don't catch anything big enough to worry.

Cheers,
    Kaidon
    Conservation NOT preservation!

Quote Originally Posted by HeadBanger View Post
    but I don't catch anything big enough to worry.

You will!

It is when you have something powerful on your line that is making a run and you have everything under a fair amount of tension - rod bending all the way down, line peeling off with a fair whack of drag at too many knots and getting too close to the centre of the spool for you to be happy about it, and it is the third big run that the fish has made and you suddenly realise how unfit you are because you are puffing and your winding elbow is getting sore (well I am almost 60! :grin: ) and you wish that you were wearing a fishing rod belt 'cos the butt of the rod is wearing a hole in you - and the line snaps at your knot :shocked: that you realise that the blood knot has its limitations.

Palomar for me!

Ausfish has a very good section that is worth a squizz.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/knots/

Cheers

phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here