That was careless of you! :rolleyes:

Good to know that these things come good eventually, though. :smiley:

Good luck, mate.

Re: Which knot do you use, take 2

Uni is the best and albright for line to leader

Quote Originally Posted by tropicrows View Post
    Noelom,

I remember seeing a lot of knot testing on a web site somewhere, they had lots of fancy equipment etc but I can't find it now.

I am also surprised that the Centauri knot is not used more, it's so simple to tie.
    I now use the Centauri on most of my terminals. Most reports put it at around 90% compared to the Uni at around 80%. I'm not sure where Goeff Wilson learnt how to tie the Centauri but it can't be the same way I do it. I have played around a couple of times testing various knots and the Centauri easily beat the Uni in a straight pull. Grab a magnifying glass or microscope and look at how the knots pull up and distort the monofilament line. The Centauri also lays well with a large range of line thickneses.
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Heres the link to the guy in Newcastle who does all the line and knot testing.
    http://www.pcwi.com.au/fishing/index.htm

Looks like I am in the minority....

Century knot for all connections that are not a hook with turned up or down eye where I use a snell.

Century is easy to tie in most line diameters, for 80lb plus mono I normally use crimps.

Been trying Bimini Double in braid to Mono leader with Harro knot and it seems to work well.

Also like the bimini double in braid to twisted leader for casting heavy lures but haven't used it enough yet. Casts well though.

Cheers Eamon
    If it's not fun, don't do it!

I use the Pitzen, it was shown to me by my grandfather in the early 80's. I can tie it with my eyes closed, and have never had one fail. I Have used it on Mackeral, Drummer, Blue Groper + other ooglies without a problem. Right down to 1kg for jigheads.

Brad.

definately centauri.
    bimini double to albright for line to leader.
    never have any problems with knots...

Only 94 votes I thought this poll would attract more votes . We don't have a clear winner. The blood knot is in front but not by much but I am supprised by the lack of votes for the Centuari knot. :rolleyes:
    Maturity is not when we start speaking BIG things,it is when we start understanding small things

Quote Originally Posted by tropicrows View Post
    Only 94 votes I thought this poll would attract more votes .

Ah well, you gave us the wrong choices.

I could not vote because I use the Palomar knot mostly and which a few others do also as indicated in this thread but you did not give us that option in the choices.

Often when professional market researchers are testing choices quantitatively in a similar manner to what you have done, they will run some qualitative research first to understand what the field of choices and issues are.

That is, you might have been better off simply asking people which knots they use and why and then construct a poll after that.

Nonetheless, I would not be too upset over a return of 94 votes. That sounds like a good response rate to me.

So congratulations on the thread. I learnt a couple of new knots to try as a result.

You done good, pal! :smiley:

Uni for everything apart from my braid leader connection. Why? Because you can do it in the dark with your eyes closed, it is very strong, and it is the same every time, meaning you cannot really stuff it up. 5 turns normally, and 4 turns on heavy leader.

Well, the poll has closed and who would have thought that it would be a tie between the "blood knot" and "uni knot" with 51 votes a piece.
    Maturity is not when we start speaking BIG things,it is when we start understanding small things