• Blood Knot

51 46.79%
  • Uni Knot

51 46.79%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which knot do you use, take 2

Re: Which knot do you use, take 2

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    Blood knot for me. It's the first knot that anyone should learn and if you only know that one you can get by. I still haven't settled on a braid to leader knot. Every one I have tried either the braid cuts the flouro or the braid knot breaks leaving a little bit of knot left over. Even Bimini doubles are breaking. I'm constantly worried about my braid to flouro conections.
    Try "The Slim Beauty". This not holds at least 90% BS when tied correctly. I also use a double in the braid when tying on a heavier, thicker fluro or mono leader. Seriously, this knot has never failed me on a big fish. I also re-tie after catching a couple of big ones or after a few hundred casts....

Palomar knot, dead easy to tie in the dark, and in the rain, gives you a double through the eye of hook/jighead/swivel.
    simon

The ocean is the ultimate solution - Frank Zappa

http://s428.photobucket.com/albums/qq9/slyman71/

No name knot vid upload.

Jack.

Gees that's a big hook Jack.
    I'd love to see the prawn that fits on it.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

I would be more worried about the look of those hands than the bloody hook mate.
    Jack.

Ok I have taken some photos of that knot as I couldnt find it on that other site Finga suggested. I hope they make a bit more sense then my explanation.:grin:

Not going to debate which is the best knnot or not but simply say what I like to use

Terminal tackle - improved or locked blood knot
    Lures - Lefty's loop
    Line to line - Uni to Uni
    Braid to fluro - 15 turn yuctan
    Braid Loop - Bimini twist

Those are the only knots i know!!

Thanks Marto.
    Looks easy enough to do bouncing around in a boat.
    So who's going to test the strength bit??
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

marto78, I know that as the hangmans noose.
    Maturity is not when we start speaking BIG things,it is when we start understanding small things

don't forget the spit closing knots with out lube is te mostl likey cause of failure

Goanna

Hey Tropicrows it looks similar to the hang mans noose http://www.marinews.com/Hangmans-Noose-362.php
    but according to this animation it is a bit different thats why I didnt want to call it for that, you could maybe call it a variation on the noose possibly? Anyway its the only knot I have found that hasnt let me down as yet.
    Sorry for jacking your poll by the way
    Marto

Quote Originally Posted by tropicrows View Post
    I know that as the hangmans noose.

That is what I thought at first glance also but it has a double loop through the hook eye which is different to the hangman's noose which only needs one loop.

I have found the double uni best for braid to leader,make sure you double your braid before tying,i have not had any problems with this knot so far

Ausfish Platinum Member gr hilly's Avatar
    Blog Entries

charlie you sound just like me i go home with ribs like purple,and cant walk to good the next day getting old is good it makes the fish feel bigger, i was a real fit bloke until i had a head on prang some 7yrs back just coming good now
    cheers hilly

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    I have done a lot of home testing on knots (not very scientific I know) aqnd tested about 20 of each knot, all tied as good as I possibly could, then attached the line to a set of scales, and pulled untill the line broke, most almost always broke at the knot (as expected) but the uni knot came out on top in almost every instance, and once actually broke along the line, not at the knot, but the line may have been faulty/nicked or something. What this all amonts to is, make sure the knot you choose can be tied almost blind folded, you feel confident with it, and tie it well every time, and lube the line before pulling it down tight, a well tied "granny" knot is amazingly strong too, but a poorly tied on is week as p!ss, do some testing at home, it is good fun, a couple of mates, a non fishing day (bad weather) some line of suitable thickness and some scales.
    I challenged my old man to the same test, he's been tying the blood knot for ever and I prefer the uni. Sure enough the uni came out on top, much to my Dad's disgrace.
    Like others have already mentioned, a well tied knot is always going to perform better. Make sure you can tie your preferred knot with your eyes closed in a 30 knot swell and alway lubricate it before tightening.
    Anyone who claims they have never had a knot fail is either a liar or hasn't hooked a big enough fish, knots are the weakest part of a rig, unless the line has a fault somewhere.