Thread: Goldfish?

Goldfish?

Hi there

Just wondering if you could identify this fish which I caught in the Condamine. I thought it was a goldfish but something I read said they don't grow that big. It was 63cm and full of roe.

Thanks Eleanor

Re: Goldfish?

its a european carp ,they are related to gold fish, hope you didnt relese it, they are a pest and must be killed
    from DPI website:
    What to do if you catch a tilapia or carp

If you catch a noxious fish, kill the fish as quickly and humanely as possible. Fisheries Queensland advocates following ethical euthanasia protocols recommended by the 2001 ANZCCART publication - Euthanasia of Animals Used for Scientific Purposes. The most appropriate method may involve stunning the fish via a sharp blow to the back of the head followed by brain destruction.
    It is an offence to have noxious fish (such as carp and tilapia) in your possession, dead or alive (except dead Nile perch). You must therefore dispose of the fish as soon as practicable after killing. It is recommended that you do this by burying it a suitable distance from the waterway where it was caught or disposing of it in a rubbish bin.

...of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy. ~William Sherwood Fox.

[quote=bennykenny;1157242]its a european carp ,they are related to gold fish, hope you didnt relese it, they are a pest and must be killed
    from DPI website:

It didn't have barbels on it so I figured it wasn't a carp, at least any desciption or drawings I have seen of carp always have barbels.

...of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy. ~William Sherwood Fox.

Dirty rotten stinking Carp.
    A bigger one was caught in the creek here in Warwick last week.
    Dirty stinking mongrel bastards of things they are!!!
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Thanks for the link. Here is a quote from it: Small European Carp could be confused with Goldfish, Carassius auratus. The latter however has no barbels on the corners of the mouth.

The lack of barbels would indicate it was a goldfish. Did I kill it??? It has long since passed through the backside of my dog! I am glad the capture prevented the reproduction of thousands of them. I've never seen so many eggs.

Thanks

Eleanor

its certainly not a gold fish or a koi carp, either way it is still a carp and should die!!

its queensland lungfish. you have just killed an endangered species!!!

hahahahaha, only kidding!

Thanks what I'm off to catch today - CARP ! KILL KILL KILL... I'll share my pics with you all later this evening - Confident ? YEP they are on the bite at the moment in the Condamine. Using Corn in the secret bait. Don't keep it a secret ... share it and rid our rivers of this destructive pest !

Pete
    "" Hello ? .... Yes Dear, just throwing out the left over bait ! ""