Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Current Tackle Specials and discounts

Current Tackle Specials and discounts

I thought I would start a thread about current Tackle Specials and discounts which can only help all of us. As the mighty dollar is a bit harder to come buy these day any discount helps. I'm wanting to restock the tackle box and saw on TV that BCF have 15% off repala lures.

If you know of any other special can you please post them.

Re: Current Tackle Specials and discounts

they also have 15% off live fibre rods too
    I support catch and release fishing, Keeping the natives native

I was at Charltons Tackle at Redbank on Saturday They have E21 carrot stiks reduced ,some nearly By $150

I also forgot to mention they have megabass rods reduced by $250

Sheesh, if they are reduced by this amount, I reckon they are overpriced to start with
    Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    Sheesh, if they are reduced by this amount, I reckon they are overpriced to start with
    I tend to reckon that also.

I was price shopping for a particular item at Anaconda recently and found that their standard price was $20 above the RRP of $199 and $70 dearer than I could get the same item for at a shop at Slacks Creek.

What is important is the actual price being offered, not the discount. Discounts are meaningless, often misleading, marketing hype.

Quote Originally Posted by charleville View Post
    Discounts are meaningless, often misleading, marketing hype.
    You mean like Rugs A Million??
    And the up to 50% discount where one item is overpriced then discounted and the rest of the stock is dearer then Fred's all day, all night rug shop??

Nothing better then doing your research before a buy and seeing that most larger tackle outlets have a toll free number now...use it.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Quote Originally Posted by finga View Post
    You mean like Rugs A Million??
    :grin:

At least their TV adverts no longer feature that irritating galoot who could have found a character role in a Dickens' novel.

Every time that I saw him on TV, I used to want to get violent and thump him.

Part of that, of course, was because he was such a bad businessman - always being overstocked and never being able to forecast his sales volumes accurately before new stock was arriving etc etc etc. Deary, deary me! :grin:

He was always so lacking leadership skills also, because it seemed that the accountants were always "telling him" what to do - things like "sell at any price". :huh:

He did calm down the tone of his adverts a bit after his company got lumbered for misleading advertising in 2006 ... http://www.commerce.wa.gov.au/Corpor...carpet_ad.html

:grin: :grin: :grin:

Nah - I would take no notice of any sales that advertise discounts. It is the actual price that is worthy of advertising, not the discounts.

At least with fishing tackle, one can establish benchmarks because the product is available in many places. I am buggered if I know how anyone would know if they were getting a good deal on stuff like jewellery, though. :undecided:

Quote Originally Posted by charleville View Post
    I tend to reckon that also.

I was price shopping for a particular item at Anaconda recently and found that their standard price was $20 above the RRP of $199 and $70 dearer than I could get the same item for at a shop at Slacks Creek.

What is important is the actual price being offered, not the discount. Discounts are meaningless, often misleading, marketing hype.

You should have had Anaconda price match the other store that was $70 cheaper and enjoyed an extra 10% off to boot. :wink: Going by your stated prices you could have had it for $134.10.

We'll call that a hypothetical though as I work there and have a conflict of interests. Just know that they have an advertised price matching service with a bit off the top. It's up to the consumer to utilise it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chamelion View Post
    You should have had Anaconda price match the other store that was $70 cheaper and enjoyed an extra 10% off to boot. :wink: Going by your stated prices you could have had it for $134.10.

We'll call that a hypothetical though as I work there and have a conflict of interests. Just know that they have an advertised price matching service with a bit off the top. It's up to the consumer to utilise it.

Thanks, Chamelion. Yup. That is when I emailed Anaconda about the pricing differential, they responded by email with that offer - exactly to the price that you mentioned.

However, by that stage, I had decided to go with a different brand that was only a few $ extra at Bias boating so I did that. The difference did not justify the extra distance that I would have had to go to Anaconda which is not a local store to me.

Notwithstanding the price guarantee, which is of the same principle as that at Bunnings which I have utilised a few times to save me some hundreds of dollars overall, my point remains that the "buyer beware" principle applies.

That is, the concept of advertising discount percentages or absolute dollars off is something that the average consumer ought to be wary of because it all depends on that particular retailers "usual" price not the generally accepted price in the market place nor the manufacturer's RRP.

There are lots of cute sayings in the sales discipine like "buyers are liars". Perhaps we need to coin a few for consumers - like "Discounts are miscounts."

It is a shame that consumers should need to be so astute to price trickery. Companies who play tricks with prices probably should not be trusted.

an interesting thread..tackle such as lures (which I rarely buy) and hooks, sinkers etc I just buy what I need when passing a tackle shop somewhere. really not worth the time or effort to drive out of my way just for that sake of a couple of bucks.

Rods and reels..I just make a couple of phone calls and then collect them..not that I will be buying any more of those in the foreseeable future.

and I really am no good to a shop owner..specials are only there to get people in the shop and then get them to buy other items at full price after they have browsed for a while..I don't browse so the buggers must hate me.

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    and I really am no good to a shop owner..specials are only there to get people in the shop and then get them to buy other items at full price after they have browsed for a while..I don't browse so the buggers must hate me.
    They must love me then.
    I have to buy something. Even if it is a packet of Fisherman's Friends.
    But I have to admit I really do not enjoy the big tackle outlets but love the privately owned tackle shops owned and run by Harry for the last 50 years.
    Dave's bait shop in Ballina was one. But, alas, it's no longer the same :cry:
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    I don't browse so the buggers must hate me.

I absolutely love the shopping experience - even for groceries - and it must be my long distant Scottish ancestry that makes me want to never buy at the retail price.

However, it is really just a game because at the end of the day, retail price differences on durables are not really going to make much difference to the average person's lifestyle. The really big expenses in life are interest payments and depreciation. Focus on minimising them and everyone can retire at 55 if they want to.

What irks me though is rip-off pricing. If Harry the old, reliable, tackle store owner has a 20% extra margin on a $100 item above the chain store, then buying with Harry probably offers a good deal over time, when his special personal value-add is factored in. It is when the mark-ups by invisible importers are obscenely gross that I want to shop elsewhere, eg by importing.

For example, anyone who buys a downrigger in Australia is having a flock's worth of wool pulled over their eyes. I imported mine a few years ago when the exchange rate was a lot less favourable than it is now and it cost me $192 landed to my front door versus about $530 all up for downrigger and bomb at local stores. Every now and then I have a look at those same downriggers in the tackle stores and the price is still what it was and I reckon that the price of importing one is probably less now than what it was because the exchange rate is much better. That 175% price differential is too much to ignore.

By comparison, the Shimano reel that I imported two weeks ago gave me only a 30% saving over the best local price and I accept the risk of a one year warranty versus the Dunphy Sports 10 year warranty had I bought it locally, albeit I am always a bit wary of what the Ts & Cs are on long term warranties. I, too, was in the sales and marketing game for twenty years and know that "whilst the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

This discussion is possibly a little off track from the original objective of this thread but the principles are not.

I will be delighted to see genuine price reductions featured in this thread as I benefited from similar threads on other websites in relation in power tools over the past couple of years but the nature of those big price savings were due to distressed business having to dump stock desperately to get some cash flow, rather than notional "% off" sales.

Mind you, the regular 30% tackle sales at KMart are useful for basic stuff.

From what I have read in this thread it seems like we need a spread sheet with a list of products with there RRP next to them. That way we can see if we are actually getting a discount or not. I don't know if this is something that Ausfish MODS can do or not?

Quote Originally Posted by seastorm View Post
    From what I have read in this thread it seems like we need a spread sheet with a list of products with there RRP next to them. That way we can see if we are actually getting a discount or not. I don't know if this is something that Ausfish MODS can do or not?

Prima facie, the idea has merit. However, the challenge is to keep it up to date so I don't think that it will happen.

That is, RRP prices will change pretty regularly . This has happened frequently throughout the global financial crisis across lots of durables as exchange rates have wandered up and down.

eg There were big RRP increases in tools and machinery in late 2008 when importers suddenly found that they were on the wrong end of the moving Aussie dollar versus the US dollar that a lot of imports are paid for in.

In recent months, this RRPs have decreased a fair bit reflecting the improving Aussie dollar. eg Shimano Baitrunners have recently dropped quite a fair bit in price locally.

When I have been making a major purchase, i have constructed a spreadsheet for my own purposes and indeed have shared such with Ausfishers who have asked for same, However, I doubt that it would be valid three weeks later.

Forget about the mods doing such tasks. That is not their role.

Your idea to share info about sales is a good one but as discussed in this thread, buyers need to be sceptical about the discounts unless they know what the readily available prices are in the market-place.

To that end, a pretty fair idea about readily available prices can be obtained simply by googling "cheapest price XXXXXXX" where XXXXXXX is the product being researched. There are lots of online sellers who will show valid prices.