Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would you choose BMW X5 or Prado?

What would you choose BMW X5 or Prado?

I'm able to get a new tow vehicle shortly through work. I have two options for the same cost ~$K, a new TD Prado (get them cheaper through work) or a 4-5 year old TD BMW X5. I dont go offroad at all. Boat weighs approx 1800kgs, but may update to 2100 to 2200kgs in the next couple of years.

Anyone own an X5? what are the servicing costs like?
    Last edited by Micadogs; 26-04-2010 at 08:03 PM. Reason: More info

Re: What would you choose BMW X5 or Prado?

Prado. Go the Prado
    Beemers have a shelf life with the electrics. Something about the insulation on the wires been bio-upgradeable or something.
    After about 5 years things happen.
    At least our Beemer did.
    Apparently Vectra's do the same.
    Can someone confirm or deny this??
    Parts would be a concern too.
    Struts for the front of the cook's car around the $800 mark...
    Catalytic converter through BMW was near $1000. After market BIG stainless job put on for $120.
    Tyres...gees they're BIG, BIG suckers on the X5. Price them as compared to the Prado's.
    Another thing to consider is resale I suppose.
    What percentage is lost on a new Prado after 5 years as compared to the X5??

I'd have the Prado personally but I'm content with an old Kingswood so who am I to ask??
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Prado , even though for $50 you will only be getting the poverty pack.

Thanks Finga and WRXhoon. Keep the replies coming. I can get the GXL for the $K
    Last edited by Micadogs; 26-04-2010 at 08:04 PM. Reason: moreinfo

Depends who is paying the bills i guess, if your work was paying go the beemer, if you are up for the ongoing costs, prado for sure.

A mate has an X5.....when I spoke to him last saturday..the convo got around to vehicles...and he said once his lease was up he was going back to a Pajero...never ending service costs, insurance, impractical internals (but nice for pose value etc). If the Company is paying all the costs...sure go the Beemer...but if your footing the bill...go the prado. (personally I would go the newer car everyday....and at the price you have been quoted....you wont lose out.....aqnd you wont put the wipers on everytime you want to go around a corner).

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by sleepygreg View Post
    personally I would go the newer car everyday....and at the price you have been quoted....you wont lose out.....aqnd you wont put the wipers on everytime you want to go around a corner.

Greg
    Good point Greg.
    The bloody indicators are on the wrong side.
    Very annoying when I drive the beemer or when she drives mine. Wipers go on. Every friggin' intersection.
    But if you can get the luxury pack for the same price as the poverty pack then that would be the clincher to me.
    Get a Landrover :wink:
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Manual GXL without GST ?

Quote Originally Posted by Micadogs View Post
    Thanks Finga and WRXhoon. Keep the replies coming. I can get the GXL for the $50K

Wow - Like to see that quote. The company I work for has the highest fleet discount structure available with Toyota and you could not even get a petrol 120 series GXL for that figure through them :shocked::shocked::shocked::shocked:

What spec is this prado?

It will eat that towing requirements - easy as. Hardly know my boat is on the 120.

I'd take the prado, even if someone else is paying the bills. They're surprisingly pleasant to drive, less hassle to maintain, cheaper to run, higher resale and you won't be mistaken for a real estate agent. I've driven a few X5s and didn't enjoy the experience, if you must go german have you considered the big vw? They're a lot nicer to drive.

at the end of the day if your off the beaten track in a toyota you have a better chance of someone being able to get parts and fix the vehicle , x5 is a way better looking vehicle , beautifull to drive but cost a fortune to service and repair but if your not paying the bills get what you want and enjoy it to the max
    cheers jimmy

We own a V8 X5 and unless u have good tax write off steer clear of it, it was the best driving luxo 4x4 under 200k, now u can get better, service cost? where do I begin. How does $200 for a spark plug lead and u have 8 of them and they have to be replace at intervals. We paid $127k for our and was happy to see it gone 2 years later for $65k, PLEASE dont buy a secondhand X5
    Humility is not a weather condition.

T/Diesel Prado (manual) for me.

Buy a diesel!!
    I have a 3l Turbo diesel X5 and love it as a second car. Although it would tow my 2.0 tonne boat easily, I certainly wouldn't leave it at the boatramp overnight! Great, safe, nice-to-drive car, that hardly uses fuel (less than 8l/100k). Bought it second hand, and it looked like/drove like new).
    Can be serviced by a reputable after-market service mob for reasonable cost.
    Don't believe all the negative hype. (except maybe the petrol ones do suck the juice and the bigger tyres are exxy!!) When I bought my Landcruiser 15yrs ago, all the doomsdayers told me it would cost a fortune to service, keep tyres etc,etc. It was all crap except the bit about petrol consumption. Its horrendous!!!!

G'day,

All that to tow 1.8 tonne every other weekend?

Get a two year old Falcon wagon with a HD towpack which will tow up to 2.1 tonne and be a really good family hack for years. Get yourself a Toyota Yaris YRX for work.

Bank the savings into superannuation and rejoice that this did not reduce your lifestyle and saved you heaps on tax.

There ... some free financial advice, no commission and no fees.

Regards,

White Pointer