Thread: lewmar anchor winch

lewmar anchor winch

Hello all after several emails to lewmar regarding wich rope to use in the winch i am no better off.
    So here it is a lewmar 700free fall profish winch, does anyone no first hand what is the best rope to use in it, i know it takes 12mm and 6mmshort link chain

thanks to all that can help
    cheers adrian

Re: lewmar anchor winch

come on guys someone must hav some information

i had one of those fellas on my last boat --- used the rope that was recommended by lewmar and had no end of trouble with it as far as getting snails when i let it go on free fall !!! was a bloody nuisance----- was using the boat hook to hold the finger over and never seemed to want to recover properly some one suggested to use a plait style rope but the cost of it put the 100m of rope at more than the cost of the winch!! I ended selling the boat with the winch ---- both of which we were happy to see the back of we've just got a new Noosacat 2300 hardtop this is going to be a challenge to get a winch on cos the rope locker is on the port side and I'm not sure how I'm gunna get a winch to work? toying with just fitting a capstan on the bow and having a foot switch in the cuddy and just tailing the rope into the locker cheers Kim

Hi,

Have plain silver 12mm rope on a Muir winch. The anchor well is big but not so deep so someone has to stand in the hatch snf push the bunch of rope forward a few times on retrieval.

Lashed out on 100 metres of nylon braided rope designed for anchor winches and it was the worst $300 ever spent.

It was so soft is knots and kinks and doubles up and is imposible to get through the winch without someone pulling hard on the rope in the anchor well.

Went back to the plain silver rope.

Anchor winches need as much drop into the well as possible, unless its a drum type of course. I need to push the coil forward about every 30metres, ever boat will be different.

Cheers

Adrian, I have the same winch except not freefall model (by choice). I have the exy $ 12mm nylon rope that came with the boat and it all works well for me, except when rough seas make the whole anchor well a rats nest of chain & rope:angry: . whatever rope you choose, make sure you use a good quality swivel. sarca's and Manson Supreme type anchors apparently invoke less twist than ploughs.
    cheers

i run black 14mm 3 strand poly rope on my genius quick winch. this was sourced through sam allen warehouse - who supply a lot of rigging businesses. i bought it through a rigging shop.

i did start off with nylon and it was rock hard and caused a little coil knot nearly every metre when trying to freefall.
    i got rid of that and replaced it with the softer poly stuff and it seems fine now. still need to have someone on the bow to put their hand in the locker and push the rope around a bit during retrieve, but a lot of that is because i have crammed 150m in there and there is not a lot of room left.
    steve