Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Barra impoundments in Winter

Re: Barra impoundments in Winter

Quote Originally Posted by BR65 View Post
    The X Raps are good, another tuning method is Halco 4XX fish rings, and #2 VMC 6X trebles. No front tow split required. The VMC's arent as good as the Owners ST66, but the SXR 12 will hang perfectly every time, horizontal in the water, "stalled" for lack of a better word. Of couse, the fail point is in that rear treble attachment. There was a good post recently, and the posters name just escapes me at the moment sorry, about rigging the rear treble to the front treble attachment point with a "lanyard", and attaching the trebel to the rear with a break away system, something Im keen to try following another x rap rear treble attachment failure this week end just been.With the B52, double Halco fish rings front and rear, and #1 Owners, Ive got one that has perfect nuetral buoyancy, and it has caught a heap of fish, the day I lose it will be a sad day indeed. All my other B52's have stick on weight added. The double split rings add weight, as well as offering an additional pivot point for a thrashing fish. Deeper water, and an often over looked choice, is a Storm Mid Thunder, again with double splits and #1 Owners. These are a larger, more "active" lure in their vibration on retrieve, dive deeper than the shallow lures above, will suspend, dont have a rattle, and DO work, Ive lost a couple of these to rampaging fish in wooded bays in cold water.I think the key thing with suspenders is not decreasing the action of the lure in your bid to get it to hang in the water colum. Ive modded some Gaddens Classics to slow them right down, but they fish like dogs, and really arent a successful project to date.Nuetral buoyancy isnt the be all and end all I know, but in the cooler water, or on a tuffer day, the long paused/stalled presentation is often a winner.I know a bloke who has caught some absolute beasts from Mondy on Stiffy Boney Breams, with a more aggresive retrieve, who mite add more to this?

Good stuff there Brian - great tips & upgrade advice!

Some lures just don't lend themselves to be rigged to suspend - I tried to get one of the smaller bombers to suspend & with the weight required ..... it had no action at all - so that was a total waste of time!
    With the amount of flooded flat now at mondy - me thinks those boney bream may come into their own as the cover plenty of water with that faster bang bang bang etc etc etc cadence :tongue:

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

hey what are the best weather conditions for winter fishing
    i was at mondy with a southeaster blowing all week and didnt do too well
    whats the best conditions in winter

Ellis_d

My advice is any chance you get be on the water is the best time.....Sure beats talking about it, and wondering what if

Stable weather is great, be it shite stable weather or warm stable weather. That being said, fish are caught in sudden atrocious weather, but not as often (in the same locations)

Ideal for me is constant SE winds (cold) or a warm patch of a couple of days amongst some very cold weather....Hold on!!!!

I love winter fishing...less boats and blowflies

Matt