Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4hp to South Straddie

Re: 4hp to South Straddie

G'day

You'll be fine, just be wary of the bigger wakes from cruisers down there and be prepared to bail to remove the water from within.

Have a friend with a second boat if possible to help out carting the stuff over.

IMO to minimise risks, leave no later than first light on a week day, not too many cruisers down there doing the rounds at that time.

Dave

G'day

You'll be fine, just be wary of the bigger wakes from cruisers down there and be prepared to bail to remove the water from within.

Have a friend with a second boat if possible to help out carting the stuff over.

IMO to minimise risks, leave no later than first light on a week day, not too many cruisers down there doing the rounds at that time.

Dave

You should have no issues at all. A few decades ago many club boats fished with old model 6hp motors on 12' tinnys. These guys would fish overnight from the pin to Broadwater and there were few if any incidents. Don't overload and you will be sweet
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

yeah no need to worry about it ive done it in my 12 punt with a 5hp on it, a few things to think about is dont overload if you have to do a few more trips than expected do it, do it early, less chance of running into big cruisers, dont spent much time in the deep chanels, you can move around eaisly in the shallower water along way from those big boats, plan your shortest trip when ive gone over to curragee ive gone between sovergien and ephrim Is and straight accross look it up on google maps http://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=en...38409&t=h&z=15

...of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy. ~William Sherwood Fox.

Isn't South Straddie across the seaway. You can probably swim overthere if you wanted to. We constantly have do dodge those swimming pengiuns in the seaway most mornings when offshore fishing. i have a 8 foot boat with a 6hp motor and considering taking it overthere

Hi yeah do it all the time, I have a 12' poly with a 4hp behind a houseboat we use often, go early to miss traffic, avoid the main channels and have a bucket to bail with, never had a problem yet though. Did a run across the broadwater in holiday season with the wind and tide against us, could have swam and towed the boat quicker but all was well.

I think the distance from Runaway Bay to Currigee is less than 900 metres so cannot see much of a problem except for boat wakes from Gin Palaces and then only if your boat is overloaded.

use the ramp on centenary drive runaway bay there are two ramps in ths street
    go early as early as you can and go straight across from there
    a quick run around the south end of crab island and your there

you will only have to cross the two channels and your there

good luck

Mate I fished for years in the Broadwater in a 10 foot punt.

Seriously, it is like crossing from one side of the Brisbane river to the other.

Just avoid the busy weekend times and as long as you haven't done something stupid like overloading the boat or trying to cross near the Seaway on a hard runout tide, you'll wonder what you were worried about.

A pic of your boat and the people & gear you are taking would have avoided a lot of the speculation on this post.

Mick.
    Check out my boat for sale in the classifieds

• 469 Stacer open Seahorse/Nomad
    • 50hp 4 stroke tiller Mercury
    • Heaps of extras, in top condition
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

yea mate, ive been across there in a 12ft tinnie and an electric motor so no worries at all