Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whittley Sea Legend

Whittley Sea Legend

I quite like the layout of the 610 and 630 Sea Legend as a prospective used boat upgrade, but to my disappointment almost all those for sale have Ficht V6 175hp hanging off them. Given the potential issues that came as standard with this motor is it realisitic to expect to be able to negotiate a significant reduction in price? or just give them a miss and hang out for one with a different motor or inboard version. Interested to hear other views on the 610 & 630

Cheers

Re: Whittley Sea Legend

rolly poly boat at rest, with no inbuilt flotation.......

don't think the motor would be troubling me

Quote Originally Posted by trueblue View Post
    rolly poly boat at rest, with no inbuilt flotation.......

don't think the motor would be troubling me
    G'day,

Ditto that on the hull.

The Sea Legend is a very old hull design with a deep V so it moves OK but is a pain at rest. It does not even have basic flotation, let alone level flotation. On that basis I decided not to buy one - even though I really liked the layout.

Don't buy an engine that you can't get serviced by an authorised local agent. If you are really set on the Whittley check out the new and used prices at www.northsidemarine.com.au

They sell lots of new and used and it should give you a pretty good idea of market values.

Regards,

White Pointer

Hi Black Runner

Can i politely suggest that if your in the process of nutting out the numbers then don't factor into your budget any " potential " problems that may or may not arise with the motor.

Neither the dealer or yourself have a crystal ball into future problems if any, the selling dealer most certainly has an obligation to ensure you are purchasing both a SAFE BOAT and MECHANICALLY SOUND motor at the time of handover but whatever happens in the future is a case of how long is a piece of string type scenario's.

If anything and from a sellers perspective the fact that your even considering a rig powered by something you have reservations about would indicate to a seller that you have already overcome that as a potential objection.

Hope this helps.

Steeler

DoNotFeedTheTrollsAandBelligerent

Hi Black Runner,
    Owned the 603, still in the family interstate with my son. Great boat, has standard 175 Jono - I avoided Ficht motors and was a good decision. Have slept offshore in 25k wind and 3m+ seas and not lost a wink and caught good fish. Rolling no different to other top brands, get a Stabicraft if stability is your thing. Avoid inboards as take up room, heavy and expensive to maintain etc Shop wisely and patiently - Up2U! Happy hunting.

I have fished out of the 650 sea legend. I think it is a great boat. I dont find it too bad at rest great ride. as for the inboard in the 650 it takes up no more room I think you may loose the bait tank.
    I am not a fan of the layout in the boat but really like the hull.

This just shows how personal boat owning is....some of the above love the layout but not the hull and some love the hull but not the layout and some like both hull and layout and some like neither hull nor layout...just shows why so many diverse brands and styles of boats are sold!

Cheers
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Hi I have a 650 sea legend, yes it rolls more at rest than my last boat a stacer but man what a differance in ride. The only time the roll is a worry is when three guys are haning over one side in a sloppy sea feels scary but it wont roll over(i think/hope) You dont lose any room internaly with the inboard but you do lose the transom bait tank to the floor which reduces the size of the kill tank.
    Yes there is no flotation but I dont think many boats of that vintage have. I am going to go through the exersize of fitting flotation to mine so I will post results when I get around to doing that. My mercruiser is no dearer to maintain than a late model 4s and not much heavier,plus with the weight lower and further forward it is a well balanced boat. Fuel consumption is as good as late model out boards at 1.4 to 1.6 kpl depending on water conditions.

Easyrider

I agree 100% with everything you said a great boat I just dont like the wasted area with the seat set up. but if you had a family into boats it would be great.

OZscott so so true

Yeh it works a treat for us as I can have it as a family cruiser. The way I have set it up it sleeps 4 in beds, has a table with seating for 4 a toilet for the girls and a hot shower and a BBQ. Then in five mins it can be a fishing boat for the boys that can still sleep 3 if required and with the marlin deck at the back I can still fish 4 easy. It would be a bit tight for 4 anglers with out the rear deck and an outboard to contend with

I did like the balance between cruiser and fishing boat - looked at a new 7+ metre one a while ago, but the lack of flotation in a brand new hull was a deal breaker for me, and the fact that Whittley had stopped answering their phones and emails was terribly suspicious...........

Thanks for all the replies - quite a mixed bag but at least no horror stories.

As Easyrider says the dual role cruising/fishing layout appeals to me because I have a family that enjoys cruising every bit as much as fishing, if not more on occasions.

I suppose stability at rest is a relative thing. I currently have a 460 Stacer which at 2.2m beam, is very stable and has good freeboard for its size. I have drifted in some fairly decent slop without feeling like I could take any water over the side or stern.

I wouldn't like to go backwards in the stability at rest stakes, but if we are talking better than what I have, but not as good as a late model hull glass hull then maybe not so bad.

I am mainly looking for ride improvement a loo and some cruising comforts while not being so flash that you don't want to spill a bit of blood about. The price point in the mid 30k is also about right. 5.8 to a little over 6 metres.

Easyrider how easy is it to access underfloor for retrofitting foam? What are your noise levels like?

Any other options would be welcomed too.

Many thanks

Hi Black runner, The kill tank bait tank in the floor is easly removed not 100% sure on fitting the foam as I have not fully sused it yet but I dont belive that once I pull the floor tanks out it will be to hard. While out I am going to get my boat builder mate to cut and shut it to be just one kill tank and I will fit a bait tank under the bait board. I have the 220 hp mercruiser, when I first got the boat it was a tad noisy so I lined the engin box with self adhisive insolation and that fixed it right up you can have a yarn while underway no problem and at trolling speeds you can bearly here it.

Thanks Easyrider,

The following photo of a 630 at rest, a couple of guys on the side with a sail fish
    doesn't look too bad.

http://boatpoint.ninemsn.com.au/Tig/...8&tabID=302921

Yeh they are not as bad as bad as some say in my opinion, not as stable as a flat bottom tinny like the stacer I had, but I have never been conserned about it and I know which one I prefer to be in in rough conditions. If you are in the north Bris area and you want a look or a test ride feel free to ask