Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should there be a rule ?

Re: Should there be a rule ?

Tactics, Comp fishing is about Tactics. The word Etiquette should not be used at all. This is a sport with prizemoney . A conduct code you break it you pay

Of course you are quite right Trev.Comp fishing and social fishing two very different animals.Comp fisherman the apex predator you're there to win,you've paid your entry fee,theres points at stake and...prizemoney!.
    Paulo

it is a competition...no such thing as etiquette in comps..hence one of the reasons I don't enter any. Fastest, luckiest and sometimes most skilful wins.

I can't agree with that Pin, I can't recall competing a comp where the guy with the fastest boat has won. And I don't believe the luckiest normally wins either, I have seen bad luck take out an angler who's put themself in a possie to win (breakdown ect) but for the most part I recon you make your own luck.
    The skill level at the pointy end of bass/bream/barra tournies is so high these days it an incredable effort just to get a top 10 finish. The angler of the year winners in some series fish a whole year and never finish out of the top 1/2 dozen places and that's in events with 60 or 70 starters.

Tough rule to police Matt, lots of grey. Is it only the leaders who get to have their spot locked up? Bit of a hornet's nest. Have you thought about calling the leaders after each session up session for an interveiw, what lure, tech, ect. If they want to name their spot infront of everybody they can, anyone who swooped in under them then wouldn't be looked upon highly would they.

Well done with the comp anyway Matt, where can I see the results?
    See you at Somerset of Fri I hope.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Delisser View Post
    I can't agree with that Pin, I can't recall competing a comp where the guy with the fastest boat has won. And I don't believe the luckiest normally wins either, I have seen bad luck take out an angler who's put themself in a possie to win (breakdown ect) but for the most part I recon you make your own luck.
    The skill level at the pointy end of bass/bream/barra tournies is so high these days it an incredable effort just to get a top 10 finish. The angler of the year winners in some series fish a whole year and never finish out of the top 1/2 dozen places and that's in events with 60 or 70 starters.

totally agree mike, Its hard to explain unless you have been there. I remember a young 16Year old Carl J at somerset with a winning bag....getting a cracked hull and filling with water only to be late back and disqualified!!!

The cream definately rises to the top....regardless of boat speed. Look at the Taylor boys. If you look at the top 10 in every event bass, bream or barra and a handful of names always seem to appear.

The etiquette has to be there in tournaments....its like golf. You can yell out ' BET YA MISS THE PUT' while they are putting....its not illegal...but its immoral. At a certain point you cant regulate everything....commonsense and ettiquete has to prevail from anglers......and from the most part it does.

Steve
    I dont have ADHD......ohh look a squirrell !!!

There is of course a simple solution....

Don't post the results of the 1st or 2nd round untill the 3rd round is complete!

That way nobody knows who caught fish or where unless they are lucky enough or the anglers silly enough to show a caught fish with another boat close by...

It could Archer but increasingly the most popular comps, and not just with anglers but with the sponsors (and they pay the bills) are the more open and accountable ones. Who shares wins you told me once Trev!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Archer View Post
    There is of course a simple solution....

Don't post the results of the 1st or 2nd round untill the 3rd round is complete!

That way nobody knows who caught fish or where unless they are lucky enough or the anglers silly enough to show a caught fish with another boat close by...

Thats actually a good idea!!

Only problem is (and this is part of most comps..and definately in ABT) they let the boats off in session 2 and 3 in the order in which they are on the leaderboard (does that make sense??)...so if you are ranked 1 then you go first...so its not hard to work out who is catching fish and where.....hence I see plenty of outboards from behind at the start

I guess another thing is, and this is a good thing (however sometimes exploited) is that everyone shares info and tells others how they caught fish. Its is really good to see. Who shares wins is the motto, and I know most blokes will share info readilly..on the flip side, most fishos have enough nouse to sus out their own spots (using info gained) and not bite the hand that fed them.

Cheers steve

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Delisser View Post
    It could Archer but increasingly the most popular comps, and not just with anglers but with the sponsors (and they pay the bills) are the more open and accountable ones. Who shares wins you told me once Trev!!!
    Yes Mike and as you know l do share. As l have said before thats whats life is about Sharing. if l think the underdog is not getting a fair go and l can help. Thats why this post is up trying to help the guys without those big boats What about this ? The start of session two and three for the first 30 mins a speed limit of whatever knots. Gee l can here the screams of protest..But it would make the waterway safer for other boat users Now those that dont know me l own a Skeeter and if it brings the field closer together so be it

Damn good topic Trev and good on you for being a bouncer for Kyle and Pete's spot, but I would hate to think that all/other competitors need to rely on the good graces of another competitor or even use a non competitor to hold their spot.

Morals and etiquette are something that I believe strongly in and have been on the receiving end of those with poor or none many times. In a fly comp I was in last year, I got blowflied and cut into many times. The spot I caught fish in was dropped into by others before I could get there on the second day of the comp. I think I can see it from the competitor with a slow boat's point of view as I do 22knot flat out, but I wouldn't want to see it as a rule that competitors get to bag spots. What if I was planning to fish a spot in session one, but was beaten to it and someone did well there, I wouldn't want to be excluded from it for the rest of the comp nor would I expect to have rights to it. If my tactics wholly depended on me being a one trick or one spot wonder, then I don't think I am worthy of placing highly in a comp. I try to have a plan A, B and C in case others are fishing where I want or conditions change.

I do think that Trev's speed limit idea is worth some more consideration as it can be a simply solution.

Tough concept to find an answer to and I commend Matt for obviously doing a great job with the comp.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Awoonga View Post
    Yes Mike and as you know l do share. As l have said before thats whats life is about Sharing. if l think the underdog is not getting a fair go and l can help. Thats why this post is up trying to help the guys without those big boats What about this ? The start of session two and three for the first 30 mins a speed limit of whatever knots. Gee l can here the screams of protest..But it would make the waterway safer for other boat users Now those that dont know me l own a Skeeter and if it brings the field closer together so be it
    Trev...

Ever thought you are looking at this the wrong way... maybe it's the apparatus not the species that needs to be regulated

Maybe Skeeters and boats of it's ilk can't be entered in comps and fishers must run something under 60hp - or better still electric only

That would be funny to see with a shotgun start as all the boat race off to the sound of slight humming noise.....

Brett

Brett

I have seen a few of the AFCs on TV that are obviously held/started in an area that has a speed limit. You are right, it looks funny when the hooter sounds and the competitors all 'blast' off at 6knots.

That said, I don't think those with quicker boats should be banned. If someone wants to own a skeeter, nitro, ranger or the likes, then good on them and they should not be banished for their choice, however a reasonable speed of say 20knots for the first 30mins has merit.

The Taylors are prime examples that a fast boat doesn't guarantee you a win.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by bugman View Post
    Trev...

Ever thought you are looking at this the wrong way... maybe it's the apparatus not the species that needs to be regulated

Maybe Skeeters and boats of it's ilk can't be entered in comps and fishers must run something under 60hp - or better still electric only

That would be funny to see with a shotgun start as all the boat race off to the sound of slight humming noise.....

Brett
    Brett, it is good for a laugh I tell you. Especially at electric comps...the hooter sounds then it's bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz,

I made a cup of coffee last year while traveling to a spot

You see blokes whipping the side of a boat like makaybe diva down the home straight at Flemington trying to get extra pace and overtake!!

Actually, some of the serious electric boats have more 'boat envy' than the big bass boats....some have 3 and 4 electric motors hanging off a boat that looks more like an upside down car bonnet!!....arms going everywhere trying to coordinate and steer.

back to the topic, I think leave the rule as it is, 'word up' the offenders (Which I hear Matt did...good job) and dont spoil it for the majority that do the right thing.
    As Steve said, part of comp fishing is the opposition, you have to deal with that as well as trying to catch fish...more than 1 plan is required...thats why its a comp..and thats why some succeed and others dont....like me

Cheers Steve

Oh yeah, Brett, PM me your address, I will send you that head unit....you can have it if it suits your setup. I am installing my SI sounder tommorrow....yippie!!

my 2 bobs worth.
    i.m a casual fisher who pokes about doin my own thing..what do you blokes do if i happen to drop in on a spot you have chosen?and am fishing there when you arrive..
    Am i supposed to pack up and leave because a big skeeter or the likes roars up and proceeds to claim the area????
    Sometimes i get the feeling competitors in comps think they own the dam.
    Who cares if they have paid fees to enter.I.ve got a sip and have just as much right to fish whereever as well.
    i am not advocating being a blowie but compeditors do not have a god given right to take over a dam and campgrounds when they have a comp..there are 2 sides to this story.
    I try and not go fishing when a comp is on..even tho i should be able to go whenever i want but we feel intimidated by the attitude of SOME competitors.on the water at boatramps and in campgrounds,

Just stating my feelings

open to discussion
    jim

Go Matt,
    Take it past "Code of Conduct" to "Rules".
    From past experiences in other events "Code of Conduct" has been never been enough.
    Some people just do not understand the principle of it.

Fastest boat wins the spot every time.
    The problem will be to design a rule that covers the situation.

Great effort Awoonga I sure it would have been very much appreciated by the other boat

Regards
    Bad_Bazza