Thread: Kayak fishing is childs play

Kayak fishing is childs play

I had a most enjoyable session with my youngest lad up at Coochin Creek on Sunday. We were up early after preparing the previous night, bought some bloodworms from Carseldine at 4.45am and hit the highway called 'Bruce' bound for Roys Rd and Coochin Creek.

We fished the shallows for bream and whiting with the boy using the worms and me on small poppers trying to nut out this whiting poppering thing. The tide was high the banks were covered and we only had one boat pass us in the areas that we fished all day. He even had his motor trimmed up and was digging up mud and sand regularly, muttering about never travelling around these parts again.

Ethan had a ball and landed a heap of fish, plenty of which would have been legal but we made the decision early on that if we thought the fish needed measuring to check the size then it was obviously too small and it would go back. Ethan was giving me a flogging on the baits so it didn't take long for Dad to get in on the act and ditch the surface lures as the clear shallow water and sunnny windless conditions weren't helping.

We finished the day with a good haul of well conditioned whiting between 26 and 36cm and Ethan got worked over twice in two casts with a plastic lobbed toward a snag I sounded out in a bit of deeper water. The poor kid didn't stand a chance as the fish hit on the drop both times and stitched him up in a matter of seconds, the look on his face was priceless, a sort of mix between confusion and excitement as he looked at his shreded leader.

The beauty of kayak fishing...we launched at the old sand ramp by carting the yaks between the new boulders away from the ramp mayhem associated with sunny weekends and fished sections of water unreachable to normal craft. We also saw heaps of marine life including free swimming mullet, flatties, bream, whiting, long tom and stingrays as the silence of the kayak and it's low profile allow you to get so close to the creatures before they see you.

Cheers all,

Kev

Re: Kayak fishing is childs play

Good effort from the young bloke Kev..but now you have made me feel inadeuqate..bloody kid doing what I have not achieved yet...BUGGER!!!!!

Good on you Kev and Ethan. The memories of days like that are priceless.
    Well done boys.
    Cheers
    Stue

Great work as usual Kev.
    It is a great area.
    I might have to have a bait session myself, haven't done that in years.
    Cheers and thanks.

"Tackle Whore on a budget..."
    Gonzo II – Brooker 4.5m 40hp Yam & Outlaw Kayak
    Fish Well, Fish Egrell

http://www.ecofishersqld.org.au

nice fishing chips. cant wait to do the same with my son.

I've just put an Emotion Stealth fishing yak on layby at Anaconda. Got 30% off, so the $1149 became $804 and my partner was over the moon as she has wanted a kayak for about 15 years. I live in Beerwah and can't wait to hit the shallows of Coochin Ck. You've inspired me to get the yak as soon as I can and hit it. If you're ever wanting some company in Coochin Creek, let me know.
    Cheers,
    Ross