Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WD40...is it good as a fish attractant??

WD40...is it good as a fish attractant??

I was talking to an old codger today and he swore that WD40 was good stuff to spray on anything to attract fish.
    What's the go with that...any truth??
    The old codger said WD40 was basically fish oil and that's why it attracts fish.
    He also said WD40 was good for a multitude of other uses but he'll elaborate on them at a later date as it was dinner time when I ran into him and he'd had enough of chin flapping with me and was hungry.
    Any comments welcomed :cool:

Cheers then
    Scott.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Re: WD40...is it good as a fish attractant??

Look up "snopes wd40"

WD40, what can't it do!

http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/sitemap/t-80241.html

There are..read all the posts. interesting stuff, alot of urban myths. Fish Oil? I doubt it.

Mike

I've heard about that years ago and never tried it, I just bought a can of inox but next time at a shop I'll get wd40, you can never have to many lubes,

I'll try anything as I haven't caught a fish for awhile.

WD40 was developed for NASA and i kid you not it took 40 goes to get the formula right hence the 40.Just as well it took 40 attempts as any other number just would not have the same ring about it.

All true

Steeler

DoNotFeedTheTrollsAandBelligerent

Well I took some advice from Cormorant and googled snopes wd40 and it ain't fish oil.
    Look here
    http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/wd-40.asp
    And here is 2000 uses for WD40
    http://www.wd40.com/uses-tips
    And wacky uses
    http://www.wackyuses.com/wd40.html

Sounds as though the stuff has more uses then Windex. :huh:
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

I've heard a bit of keros good to,I did try it once by mistake and I had a ball tearer of a day,might be just arsey to..might try it again n see what happens..

A few weeks ago I was fishing in Karratha with two mates, and this old bloke that was with us said here guys spray some wd 40 on your bait....we said yep no thanks but good luck, so off he goes he coats his bait in wd 40.......now we are fishing in a creek up here and whammo, in he pulls a good 2.5kg coral trout.........so maybe co incidence maybe not.....but he swears by it.

Ausfish Platinum Member gr hilly's Avatar
    Blog Entries

i think one of the reasons that this might be so is the fact that inox would completely cut out any static and the heavy duty mx4 is a lanolin formula could well work as a come on.bight me
    hilly

Was out fishing a while ago and reel was a bit stiff [ lack of washing down ]
    Gave it a spray with RP 7 much the same stuff and had a awesome days fishing
    Was told later it degenerates your line.

Cheers Graham

Too many mushrooms in them there paddocks Cleatus......

well....i learnt a long time ago....dont get wd40, or rp7, or crc289....nor any of their clones, near your lines. It WILL make your mono lines deteriorate very quickly. However, spray a bit on your bait, and it is a very good attractant. My grandfather used to dip his bream baits in kero.....and im talking 40 years ago when i fished with him....and he was doing it WAAAAYYY before then....and would outfish anyone near him 10 - 1, that was not doing it. (he also cleaned the fish immediately after he caught them). I would think most of the sprays would have a similar petro chemical component in them...and wouldn't be surprised if many of the so called 'fish attractents/bait scents' were based on similar component, a bit like the use of aniseed oil.

Everything old is new again ......maybe.

Greg

Its easy.... next time your on a hot bite whether bait or lures or whatever - stop for a sec & spray your stuff with WD40 then resume fishing.

That should tell if it works or not, or if it makes a diff..!
    "...a voice in my head keeps telling me to go fishing..."

I hear that it's good for crook knees...makes a fantastic hand cleaner..makes my motorbike look like brand new,just don't spray it on he bloody seat!!!!!