Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Attempt on Trailer theft - this time Manly

Attempt on Trailer theft - this time Manly

Escaping for a quiet fish in the bay on a Monday RDO my brother reports the car park was nowhere near the hustle and bustle that I experienced on the weekend. But with much fewer people around someone had a go at stealing the boat trailer. This is scary stuff, he padlocks the chain to the car as well as having the trailer lock to the tow ball.

He noticed when he got home that the padlock on the chain was open and the padlock on the tow ball lock is severely damaged/ bent.

It's happening everywhere, whats' the solution? ( my trailer alarm is only one other deterent)

Scalem

Re: Attempt on Trailer theft - this time Manly

Scalem,
    Some things that help/
    Reverse in where possible, and get the wheels hard up on a kerb. It makes it very difficult to get off the tow ball, and if they do, they cant get past the MV.
    David

don't know the answer Scalem...but there is not may things that, with the tools in the back of my ute, that I could not get off if I wanted to.
    I proved that easily with the wheel clamp.
    I went to a hardware store and asked the bloke there for some chain for the boat trailer..I told him i wanted it bloody tough to cut..so what does he do..cuts it with bolt cutters..I told him not to bother.
    Not sure if hardened would be better.

Quote Originally Posted by dnej View Post
    Scalem,
    Some things that help/
    Reverse in where possible, and get the wheels hard up on a kerb. It makes it very difficult to get off the tow ball, and if they do, they cant get past the MV.
    David
    Thanks,

that was the other thing - he had reversed the trailer up against one of the trees to make it harder, not impossible. Keen!!!!

Scalem

Were you using a wheel clamp?

They are probably the most effective device at reducing theft of trailers although they are a time consuming nuisance to get on and off.
    | Savage Kestral with Evinrude 9.9 --> Stacer 3.9 with Yamaha 15 --> Polycraft 4.55 CC with Honda 50 --> Ally Craft Reel Mate 4.25 with Yamaha 3 cylinder 30 horse --> Hmmm what next? |

Jabiru..they are useless..I proved that..can have it gone in under 30 seconds..don't rely on them to save anything.

Yip.. Dewalt battery operated angle grinder will cut throught anything. Heck i even have 4 batteries to use.

The only way to deter theives is to keep ur trailer nice and dirty.
    It would be nice if VMR or coastwatch have secure parking say $10 a day.

only 4 batteries..got about 8 plus the sabre saw plus jigsaw etc etc..plus boltcutter..all just for a days work...damn..starting to sound like thieves now.

If anyone wants a Defender wheel clamp they can pick it up from my place..still in the box. I won't be using it after the other joke I bought

I think you can get stainless chain - its exe but hard as. Compared to the cost of a new boat/trailer its cheap.

Failing that make sure you have good insurance.

wanna know the really stupid thing..break into the tool boxes on the ute and all the gear is there to flog my trailer from my car..some of us are not real birght at times.

what sort of hitch lock did he have Scalem? One of the cheapie ones or a hitch helmet?
    Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM

I don't think a high IQ is on the prerequisites for a trailer thief...

I heard one story where the trailer was locked onto the toe ball with a helmet lock. So they just cut through the draw bar with an angle grinder and left the guy with a foot of trailer. It they want it that badly they come prepared.
    Maturity is not when we start speaking BIG things,it is when we start understanding small things

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    what sort of hitch lock did he have Scalem? One of the cheapie ones or a hitch helmet?
    Heath,

It's one of these, at least it survived an attempt

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    Jabiru..they are useless..I proved that..can have it gone in under 30 seconds..don't rely on them to save anything.

Wow, what sort was it and how did you get it off?

I have a Klampit and thought it to be quite good until reading your post.

I have sharpened the edge of the part that digs into the tyre and find it near impossible to get off now without demolishing it, but your post now has me wondering.

- Darren