Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Attempt on Trailer theft - this time Manly

Re: Attempt on Trailer theft - this time Manly

i sure there is plenty of welders/fitters that can fab some thing better than whats on the market and make them fora small donation if you know what i mean

My old man before he retired was an auto elec and wired his boat trailer to his car alarm. Before locking the car he'd flick a switch under his dash so if the trailer plugs where disconnected his car alarm would sound until they where connected again. I think the alarm had a timer of 10mins or so as well. Had something to do with breaking the circuit or something. Again not foolproof as if it was the last thing they did they could have it on their car and driving off before anyone's suspicions where aroused i guess. But i would say a shock to those attempting the theft. He used to say it's good enough to deter the honest thieves!

Daz.

i had my work trailer stolen. it had a trailer lock on they just undone the bolts put another coupling on the draw bar $35 bucks from super cheap $8000 worth of tools so now i weld the coupling to the draw bar as well as the bolts.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Hutchison View Post
    i had my work trailer stolen. it had a trailer lock on they just undone the bolts put another coupling on the draw bar $35 bucks from super cheap $8000 worth of tools so now i weld the coupling to the draw bar as well as the bolts.
    hey you know that's it illegal to weld the coupling to the trailer but i wonder if remains illegal when there are also bolts fitted?

Quote Originally Posted by FNQCairns View Post
    hey you know that's it illegal to weld the coupling to the trailer but i wonder if remains illegal when there are also bolts fitted?
    Yes it is as it states on the coupling do not weld.
    I always out a pigeon poo weld on the bottom of the bolts so the nut cannot be taken right off and does not upset the bolt strength too much.
    No matter what you do if they want it they'll take it.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Loosen the nuts on the trailer or take them off altogether , take a few wheels off. Takes time but works.
    Gold Coast , Queensland. Paradise!

Buy a cheap prepaid mobile ($29) keep a few bucks worth of credit on it. Strap the mobile (hidden) to your trailer. If your trailer is stolen, Optus, Telstra, etc can track it to within a few metres in the city and towns and within a km in the country. Only the police can request this service, but atleast they can catch the f%^&kers.

There are also some battery operated GPS tracking devices available (up to 800hrs for shipping container trackers) that you can leave hidden on your boat and move to your trailer when your using the boat. Having these fitted will also reduce your insurance premium and remove your excess if the boat isn't found.
    http://www.clubmarine.com.au/interne...22-4+technical

Quote Originally Posted by drireech View Post
    Buy a cheap prepaid mobile ($29) keep a few bucks worth of credit on it. Strap the mobile (hidden) to your trailer.

Not such a bad idea, thanks.

I bought a Motorola mobile phone for $20 including $10 of Telstra usage credit from Crazy Clarks a few weeks ago. It is an awesome, basic (no camera), very slim phone. The credit is only for one month but adding $30 credit gives 12 months duration.

Such a phone would suit such purpose easily, I reckon.

Buy a cheap prepaid mobile ($29) keep a few bucks worth of credit on it. Strap the mobile (hidden) to your trailer. If your trailer is stolen, Optus, Telstra, etc can track it to within a few metres in the city and towns and within a km in the country. Only the police can request this service, but atleast they can catch the f%^&kers.

There are also some battery operated GPS tracking devices available (up to 800hrs for shipping container trackers) that you can leave hidden on your boat and move to your trailer when your using the boat. Having these fitted will also reduce your insurance premium and remove your excess if the boat isn't found.
    http://www.clubmarine.com.au/interne...22-4+technical

Trying to get the police to act - you have buckleys chance. Loal coppers would laugh at you unless it was later involved in aserious hit and run or something.

Do you know the initial cost and ongoing costs of the system you put up the link for ( they say a $1200 package to win) but is their a monoing monitoring cost??

The smart thieves stealing quality boats know about these systems and how to disable them. They really have to be triggered not only by the geofence but by external triggers like door, glass break and cabin sensors so there is some notice before they turn em off.

Lots of cheaper style ones on epray with no fees.

Getting the police to act on anything is hard... but you can do the work for them.

The reason I suggested mobile phone is that while standing in local cop shop I saw a bloke walk in with his a mobile and hand it to the desk cop. I overheard the guy tell the copper that he had optus on the line and with his permission the optus guy could locate his stolen car with his girlfriends phone still inside.

Needless to say, with the bulk of the work done for him the copper wrote down the location and dispatched someone to check car. I don't know the outcome but they can be pretty reasonable if you do the leg work for them.

The GPS locators on ebay that need a phone sim card to work would do the same job without the cops. Just weld a tin box on the front of the trailer and put the GPS locator and battery inside. Paint "axel grease" on the box and job done. No-one wants to stick their fingers in a greasy box

Quote Originally Posted by charleville View Post
    However, I am starting to wonder if it may be worthwhile joining the MBTBC to use their fenced in secure ramp.

Money well spent if you ask me. Good ramp and pontoons wash down etc etc.

Cheers
    Scott
    "Mystique" Haines Signature 580BR with 175 of Mr Suzuki's finest ponies

It would be so good if the process for recovering goods would really work like this on a regular basis. I can give another example where a phone company refused all efforts to release position to police of a phone that was held by a disabled child who was missing and although picked up the phone was unable to say where he was. After a whole kerfuffle kid was found without the help.

Some days with coppers and phone companies you might get lucky but if they want to take it down teh offiial channel it won't be instant if at all.

There is a whole process of authority , privacy and internal controls .

Getting the police to act on anything is hard... but you can do the work for them.

The reason I suggested mobile phone is that while standing in local cop shop I saw a bloke walk in with his a mobile and hand it to the desk cop. I overheard the guy tell the copper that he had optus on the line and with his permission the optus guy could locate his stolen car with his girlfriends phone still inside.

Needless to say, with the bulk of the work done for him the copper wrote down the location and dispatched someone to check car. I don't know the outcome but they can be pretty reasonable if you do the leg work for them.

The GPS locators on ebay that need a phone sim card to work would do the same job without the cops. Just weld a tin box on the front of the trailer and put the GPS locator and battery inside. Paint "axel grease" on the box and job done. No-one wants to stick their fingers in a greasy box

Quote Originally Posted by Argle View Post
    Money well spent if you ask me. Good ramp and pontoons wash down etc etc.

Cheers
    Scott

Must go and have a look. Wash down and pontoons both are sounding attractive to me.

When the water crisis hit, the Port of Brisbane people disconnected the tap at the southern Manly ramp and that was a dreadful shame.

Likewise, that awesome jetty at the southern ramp is about 5 metres too far away from the ramp to be really useful to the solo boatie.

Cormorant

You know your red hot on that idea! There's a site called OZSPY.com. Now these guy's handle all sorts of trackers and GPS locators. Google it up you'll be blown away with what you can get there. All they sell is P.I. and James Bond gear, trust me it's well worth the look.

The gear your after isn't going to bleed the pocket either. I'd hide your tracker in the dryest part of the R.H.S. structure of the trailor, out of site and mind type of thing. Just an idea hope it helps.

cheer's Gav.

I wonder if soft flexible cable would be a better deterrent then chain?
    Soft flexible cable is painful to cut with a grinder with a cut off wheel because it grabs the wheel if its not held tight and still. Cutting it with side cutters is a very slow and painful process. Cable about 10mm thick would deter most i think.
    Jack.