Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Attempt on Trailer theft - this time Manly

Re: Attempt on Trailer theft - this time Manly

Why can they not use part of our rego's to put camera's at all ramps and be monitored at a local police station or security firm they certainly are not putting all the money back into ramps ect

shane

Or just have a crappy old trailer that no one wants to steal when other nicer ones are close by

Stainless chain 5 seconds with battery grinder
    Hardened locks 6 seconds with grinder
    Trailer lock 10 seconds with grinder
    Padlock 3 seconds with grinder

Put them on because it stops the dumb ones but if they are determined then the trailer is gone
    "light gear big fish big fun"

Were they after the trailer or the car??
    His car makes sense to me as it's fairly high on the "cars to pinch" list and makes it hard to run from the coppers with a boat trailer on the back.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Quote Originally Posted by Scalem View Post
    He noticed when he got home that the padlock on the chain was open and the padlock on the tow ball lock is severely damaged/ bent.
    Scalem
    How does Poo put the padlock on the chain??
    How did they get the lock open??

If they could pick one lock they would be able to pick the other lock and have no need to bash the crappers out of it I'd think.
    Something else might be on the cards here.

Don't know that amount of detail Scott, the lock through chain then through the hole in the tongue was easy enough to do on my old Ford. How they got it open ... I dunno, I wasn't there at the time and neither was he But it was open when he got home.

The car? How do you steal a HSV R8 with immobilzer and all the bells and whistles? Pretty specialized theft if they managed it, or are you still thinking he has the Pajero?

HSV's...easy to flog..the pros can take them while you are sitting in thing .

Nope, I knew he had the HSV.
    Seems funny one locked was picked and the other mangled. (I hope he had a rated D on as well and not just the padlock)
    HSV are very high on the thieves hit list..indeed very high.
    Immobilisers, gps trackers and every other form of deterrent is just that.....a deterrent not a solution.

Thankfully I can park my boat in the back yard, behind a locked gate, in with a very good dog.

If I was forced to park out front of the house again I would look to have a 70mm tow coupling fitted to the trailer rather than the standard 50mm coupling.

Huge overkill in towing capacity but I think it would severely hamper theft by your everyday bogan.

- Darren

have any of you guys tried the "talon" trailer hitch lock? it uses a "bilock" key barrel and looks the goods. i was considering buying one myself. google it and see what you reckon. i'm pretty suss on the amount of trailers "nearly" getting pinched these days, we tend to go out for weekends in our boat and i'd be absolutely frothing if my trailer wasn't there when i got home.

Paddles, you may want to talk to a locksmith such as "Barnes john & Co". The place I work for replaced all our old locks with bilock system a few years ago, and then changed to Abloy system two years latter as the bilock are easy to crack if you know how.
    Maturity is not when we start speaking BIG things,it is when we start understanding small things

Same as the rest Paddles.
    A battery angle grinder and it's off.
    I reckon a good whack sideways on the top and the casting would break (don't know what it's made of though as they don't say or if you have a Hayman Reese type towbar all they have to do is take the whole tongue out and slide it into their getaway car.
    You will never stop them but taking precautions will reduce the chances. ie backing the trailer against something immoveable (rock, fence, tree). Make the ba$tards work for it I reckon.
    Me...I have the oldest/dirtiest trailer there. They might leave me alone and go for the shiny one

Quote Originally Posted by finga View Post
    Me...I have the oldest/dirtiest trailer there. They might leave me alone and go for the shiny one

My trailer is starting to give me the same sense of security for the same reason.

Touch wood because I have never had a problem with theft despite going and coming from ramps at very odd hours - and indeed discovering the police coming to have a look at me at some of those odd hours. However, I am starting to wonder if it may be worthwhile joining the MBTBC to use their fenced in secure ramp.

Bruce..old oil and grease all over the trailer and go for a drive up the dustiest road you can find.
    The oil and stuff goes hard after awhile and makes the trailer look very undesirable. The grease and oil helps with the rust too as a side benefit.
    That's actually a bit of a lie as two of the 3 trailers are painted and I polish them. Never seems to go missing though.
    I painted them so I can easily see if any rust comes and take care of it easily.
    'Junior' has the apparently dodgy one but I'm thinking of making an aluminium one for him...and polish it

Quote Originally Posted by Scalem View Post
    Heath,

It's one of these, at least it survived an attempt

Scalem they are only as good as your padlock
    I removed the padlock off mine with 1 hit with a Hammer and cold chisel
    Its hard to find a decent lock that goes through the trailer hitch