Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tilapia for sale

Wink Tilapia for sale

Laws must be different in NSW...

Phil

Re: Tilapia for sale

Me and a few mates could beat that price.

No, but in all seriousness - a Wiki entry states that you need a permit to buy and sell Tilapia. So I don't know why they would be selling them if a permit is required to buy them.

Good find, thanks.

I think there was a mistake on the price tag should have read 6.99 p/tonne

Under Section 89 of the Fisheries Act 1994, a person must not possess pest fish such as tilapia. The maximum penalty is $150,000.

Qld fisheries legislation does not apply in NSW.

Now if the tilapia had been caught in Qld & shipped interstate then whoever did it is in the poo real deep.

Luc

surely dead fish aren't a risk????

I think they are regarded as bad when freshly dead as they are mouth breeders and the young can survive in the mouth for a while after death. Thats why they need to be disposed of far from the waters edge where critters can't drag them back in.

They are good eating too! Shame QLD fisherys doesn't have it's head screwed on regarding the private/boutique consumption of this fish throughout certain ranges....not much within the current regulations regarding dead tilapia can actually make a difference...excepting of coarse degrees of less than a difference.

cheers fnq

THe trouble is that if you allow private/boutique consumption, it will simply encourage people to spread it faster.

Recently, fisheries got rid of some infestations in private dams around Gin Gin and there were several instances that the coppers had to go along so the job could get done.

I agree that it's a rear gard action (and I suspect so does fisheries) but I'm all in favour of delaying the spread as much as possible.

Not so long ago, an ANSA club tried to get tilapia on the ANSA Qld eligible species list using the argument that encouraging fishing for them would help to keep numbers down. The answer from fisheries was NO as they don't want anything in place that would 'promote' tilapia especially as their research shows that fishing has virtually no effect on the population numbers. The things simply breed faster than you can catch them.

Luc

If the Queensland Government really wanted to to get rid of most pest fish such as Tilapia, Gold Fish, and European Carp from the dams , they can take a leaf out of DPI Fisheries Victoria. They have successfully eradicated carp from one dam (sure it took time and sure people bitched and whined because they were banned from fishing in the dam for a period of time).

Fisheries in conjunction with research scientists developed a few radio collar transmitters that were injected into the fish (Female fish ) and therefore were called Judas. All the males congregate around females as you would know...you are a male.

Dam exists were covered with fine gauze etc, etc, electrofishng commenced in every corner of the dam and every nook and cranny on daily, weekly and monthly cycle during all phases of weather.

They are not 100% removed but 99.99% have been.

Fisheries Qld obviously have their own agenda and never done a complete marketing or survey (except to a select amount of people) and then so probably demographically.

I would like to know what research they did to come up with the conclusion "Fishing has virtually no effect on the population numbers". Cobblers.

Fisheries Qld will always look for an excuse for an easy way out and will always carry out the whims of the Government irrespective of what political pursuation is in power at the time.

This state have a lot of people out of work and with sheer volume of people the Govt could utilise this manpower (woman included) to good use and assist in eradicating these pests as well as noxious and feral weeds that overrun streams and bushes...the legacy of the original pommies that brought their rabbits, sparrows, foxes to name a few so they make Australia like England...(pricks).

Now this would be more beneficial under the "Work for the Dole Scheme"

Peter

Bondy everyone wants to get rid of them. Are you familiar with the extent of the Tilapia problem in some of the states largest dams? On a golf course pond in NQ 5 tilapia became over 1 ton of fish in 2 years.

I wonder if those Tilapia were imported into NSW from o/s as frozen fish?

Quote Originally Posted by bondy99 View Post
    If the Queensland Government really wanted to to get rid of most pest fish such as Tilapia, Gold Fish, and European Carp from the dams , they can take a leaf out of DPI Fisheries Victoria. They have successfully eradicated carp from one dam (sure it took time and sure people bitched and whined because they were banned from fishing in the dam for a period of time).

Fisheries in conjunction with research scientists developed a few radio collar transmitters that were injected into the fish (Female fish ) and therefore were called Judas. All the males congregate around females as you would know...you are a male.

Dam exists were covered with fine gauze etc, etc, electrofishng commenced in every corner of the dam and every nook and cranny on daily, weekly and monthly cycle during all phases of weather.

They are not 100% removed but 99.99% have been.

Fisheries Qld obviously have their own agenda and never done a complete marketing or survey (except to a select amount of people) and then so probably demographically.

I would like to know what research they did to come up with the conclusion "Fishing has virtually no effect on the population numbers". Cobblers.

Fisheries Qld will always look for an excuse for an easy way out and will always carry out the whims of the Government irrespective of what political pursuation is in power at the time.

This state have a lot of people out of work and with sheer volume of people the Govt could utilise this manpower (woman included) to good use and assist in eradicating these pests as well as noxious and feral weeds that overrun streams and bushes...the legacy of the original pommies that brought their rabbits, sparrows, foxes to name a few so they make Australia like England...(pricks).

Now this would be more beneficial under the "Work for the Dole Scheme"

Peter
    None but it's simple they mean that while we ensure through punitive regulation no one will be bothered to fish for them in a dedicated way and that just suits us fine because there is not enough money in it for us to care.

For sure and without doubt fishing will have positive local impacts on population numbers, fishery's stupid is as stupid does. Ideology rules in fishery's first.

I really am sorry, but I cannot agree, even remotely with some statements above. Rediculous & un-educated info can cause alot of damage to the cause.

I 100% support the concept that recreational fishing will have little or no impact on the population fo tilapia in a river or lake scenario with standar fishing practices.

We've had thousands of anglers every week fish at Lake Somerset, to name one example. This, combined with a heavy stocking program of native predator fish has impacted on tilapia numbers in any way shape or form. In fact, tilapia managed to become established with very high recreational fishing pressure AND a highly stocked dam.

These fish are super super competitive, highly adaptive and can breed far faster than any natives.

In our community fish hatchery at Ipswich. Someone threw THREE (3) tilapia into one of the above ground pools we use as grow out tanks when we finished construction. We left them there thinking they'd die in short order. In 6 months, with no food, only occasional leaves falling into the water & some algal growth, these 3 fish turned into thousands in several distinct generations.
    1 barramundi fingerling at 25mm was added at the start of winter & by spring that barra had munched its way upto a foot long. The tilapia were still just as thick. We killed the lot off with chlorine, some had eggs in their mouths which, if thrown in the water could have hatched, even several days afterwards.

Tilapia are a very serious threat to our waterways & native fish. Their ability to dominate a waterway is very real & should not be underestimated.

The reason for not allowing them to be harvested in Qld waters is that as soon as someone backs a buck out of catching or selling them, there will be the temptation to drop a few in every dam, river, lake & pond. Turn a small business into a massive operation overnight..

fitzy..
    Last edited by Fitzy; 19-04-2010 at 11:49 PM.
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
    I really am sorry, but I cannot agree, even remotely with some statements above. Rediculous & un-educated info can cause alot of damage to the cause.

I 100% support the concept that recreational fishing will have little or no impact on the population fo tilapia in a river or lake scenario with standar fishing practices.

We've had thousands of anglers every week fish at Lake Somerset, to name one example. This, combined with a heavy stocking program of native predator fish has impacted on tilapia numbers in any way shape or form. In fact, tilapia managed to become established with very high recreational fishing pressure AND a highly stocked dam.

These fish are super super competitive, highly adaptive and can breed far faster than any natives.

In our community fish hatchery at Ipswich. Someone threw THREE (3) tilapia into one of the above ground pools we use as grow out tanks when we finished construction. We left them there thinking they'd die in short order. In 6 months, with no food, only occasional leaves falling into the water & some algal growth, these 3 fish turned into thousands in several distinct generations.
    1 barramundi fingerling at 25mm was added at the start of winter & by spring that barra had munched its way upto a foot long. The tilapia were still just as thick. We killed the lot off with chlorine, some had eggs in their mouths which, if thrown in the water could have hatched, even several days afterwards.

Tilapia are a very serious threat to our waterways & native fish. Their ability to dominate a waterway is very real & should not be underestimated.

The reason for not allowing them to be harvested in Qld waters is that as soon as someone backs a buck out of catching or selling them, there will be the temptation to drop a few in every dam, river, lake & pond. Turn a small business into a massive operation overnight..

fitzy..
    Above ground do you mean turkey nest? i have spent a little time around native hatchery's gaining a government paycheck and to my knowledge all ponds are productive and have food just like a puddle will given a few weeks, it's just the food is not added by humans to force growth rates at any tropic level.

i agree lakes are a waste of time line fishing is such a grossly low impact, almost hunter gather in extent especially on large continuous surface areas.

An example youngs crossing, below north pine dam, species I remember in there where mosquito fish, rainbows, tandanas, lungfish, spangled's, tilapia, eels, these are what i remember from snorkelling the region 20+years ago. ideology aside why not open this LOCAL waterway to the transport of DEAD Tilapia and their consumption/use as private plant fertiliser/whatever?

Caboolture river may be another now although I cannot remember seeing Tilapia there in my many snorkelling adventures back then.

Short length (in a generic sense)waterways leading to brackish water below infested impoundments is ideal for this purpose. water ways leading to infested areas may also benefit.

there is no competent reason not to allow this in selected areas but for dogma, i do agree that some areas are a no win situation but in others defined quite easily no harm above that already regulated can happen (if one believes in the regs we have ATM make any difference anyway) and given fisherys lack of effective management to date some good will become done.

A good analogy is national parks...lock them up via punitive regulations and force them to explode with introduced flora and fauna species, in effect gutting them forever from what they where before the lockouts..never to be the same and protected from less than nothing....ideology first with ecology running a distant last.

I can also see where fishery's management might consider that natural fishing it's self should be discouraged wherever possible and any added amenity that allows it is simply not on unless forced but it's hard to respect this general blanket standing of theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by FNQCairns View Post
    Above ground do you mean turkey nest?
    No, as in 10 meter diameter swimming pool. 1 meter deep with lining etc.
    Water water straight out of the tap & dechlorinated, no earth in the bottom.

How those buggers survived is beyond me...

fitz..
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au