Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: How to catch a feed of fish in Moreton Bay (bait fishing)

Re: How to catch a feed of fish in Moreton Bay (bait fishing)

thanks heaps charlie... i am a keen bream fisho, using hard body deep cranks is my main preference. but every now and then i "have" (convince her)to take the minister for war and finance fishing.. and a trip to harry's is usually on the cards. with the usual result of no keepers... thanks for bringing me back to the basics..

thanks charlie you are a legend. i took your tips and caught my PB bream today of 34 cm. cheers

Quote Originally Posted by dspt69 View Post
    i took your tips and caught my PB bream today of 34 cm. cheers

You beaut! Well done, dspt69! I am very pleased to have helped.

Steve82 and bearessentials - many thanks for your goodwill and those of others who have noted same here.:smiley:

Because I have simply offered my own and learned perspectives as a bait fisho in this thread, I had hoped that other good bait fishos might have offered their perspectives in this thread as well but perhaps, it is not to be. :sad:

Nonetheless, I am glad that my experience about the basics is helping others. 'Tis a big mistake to overcomplicate the pastime in the early stages, I think.

Good luck, guys.

Hi, My dad just bought a boat and we love to go fishing in it its a haines signature 18 ft 115hp and we have know clue where to fish in the bay we would love to have a few snapper spots it would be a great help if some one could tell me where we should fish for snapper what bait and what kind of riging ok, cheers:smiley:

Quote Originally Posted by jpcqw1 View Post
    Hi, My dad just bought a boat and we love to go fishing in it its a haines signature 18 ft 115hp and we have know clue where to fish in the bay we would love to have a few snapper spots it would be a great help if some one could tell me where we should fish for snapper what bait and what kind of riging ok, cheers:smiley:

Congratulations on your family's getting a flash boat. Lots and lots of hours of fun are coming your way.

Invariably, people will not just give away productive fishing spots to anyone who simply asks for them on this forum or any other fishing forum in Australia. That would be just like putting up a post that says, "I need some money; it would be a great help if someone sent me some money." No one will respond to such a request in a way that you might wish for because knowledge of good fishing spots, like money, is hard to come by and usually requires a fair amount of effort.

Usually, though, you might get one or two private messages with a few clues on where to look after a while but only after forum members think that you and your dad have made a pretty decent attempt to find some good fishing spots yourself. You can help in that regard by writing reports regularly of the results of your fishing trips so that people will get to know you.

To get started, I suggest that you get your dad to read all of this thread. There are enough solid clues in what is written here to give most anglers a good starting point.

Likewise, get your dad to buy the latest Bush and Beach magazine (about $3 or so) and read the article by Brian Webb.

Also, the advice given by others in your other similar thread in the Saltwater section is worth taking note of. Read the fishing reports section on Ausfish and pretty soon you will get an idea of where most people catch fish and how they do it.

Good luck with the new boat.

Duplicate post deleted.

Charlie has just about covered the more important basic facts ,
    So here's a couple of important facts
    Fishing the edge country in the bay there are a variety of habitats, sand, mud
    bottoms, scattered reefs, weed beds, flats, holes, sloping bottoms, rubble
    bottoms etc.
    It pays to develop fishing strategies based around the fact that fish will most
    often not be found smack in the middle of such areas, but somewhere near the
    edge of them.
    And one of the best places to start looking is where one habitat changes into
    another. they must find food, but not be eaten,
    they need the option of being where the food is, but still be able to duck into
    cover when danger threatens.
    Observing something and thinking it through and analyzing it for what it can tel
    you is what really puts the art into fishing.
    Its like learning a new language and its what will make you consistently find
    and catch fish.
    Fishing the bay these days is not just a matter of throwing some bait on board and heading out, with no plan of attack or alternate plans.
    Forget luck, luck is for schmuchs.
    Everyone can catch a fish when they're biting their heads off.
    Understanding why you caught a fish and then building on that knowledge is the first step to expanding your skills.
    Knowing the whys and ways of your target species is a big head start.
    Like Charlie i am a true bait fisho.
    regards

If I may add another tip - (one which I must admit I am guilty of NOT doing in recent years) - keep a record (diary) of all your trips. Noting time of day, tide, wind direction, moon phase, water clarity, temperature..and any other environmental things that are obvious or recordable.

I used to keep a similar diary from the time I was 12 years old, til about the time I was 35 ( I am now 51), and developed a good database of when and where to fish for certain target species. If you write it down...you dont have to rely on your memory as much.

It also makes some interesting reading once you are older....brings you back to reality about what you remembered as the 'good ole days'.

Thanks Webby for adding so much value to an already inspiring thread. Keep the contributions coming.

Greg

Gday Bruce. Mate your write up was very thought provoking for me. I simply dont get out enough to enjoy this great Bay of ours these days. One thing that soft plastic fishing has taught me (and I am only a novice at it but have caught a couple of really nice fish using plastics) is to work the lure and think like a bait fish. I am going to apply that to fresh bait now and I reckon I will see a big benefit in my bait fishing - for example to use a whole pilchard,cut of its head and use a jig head and exposed hook...in the past I would try to hide the hook in a whole pilly...just an example.

Cheers and thanks very much mate for you great post.
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Charlie,

I am like the guy who you quoted..about going out catching nothing most times and getting ribbed by not only the wife, but the kids also. I normally take out in the boat 4-6 rods just in case, and fish with normally the maximum of 3 i can.

It is great to read articles such as yours to think about the basic things we take for granted at times. I fish with an uncle who is just like you, fishes with a snyder glass rod matched with an alvey and concentrates almost solely on that rod alone. He has the touch something fierce, and it is something i'm trying to teach not only myself, but to my kids also.

I am a bait fisho though and through, but have hundreds of soft & hard lures which really touch the water. Mind you i did catch my biggest flathead at Redcliffe on one, think i jagged it tho.

Reading Webby's and Chiefs articles in Bush'n'Beach (especially Chief's this month) is great for learning as well.

Keep up the fantastic posts. Thanks

Mark
    Never enough time or days in the week to go fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by ozscott View Post
    I reckon I will see a big benefit in my bait fishing - for example to use a whole pilchard,cut of its head and use a jig head and exposed hook...in the past I would try to hide the hook in a whole pilly...just an example.

Thanks Ozscott.

Would I be right in thinking that using pillies in this manner is probably cheaper than using soft plastics as well?

An old trick, of course, is to cut out the backbone so that two fillets flap either side of the head, giving the bait some life plus enhancing it's smell in the water.

I reckon we would all love to know if you have success with the use of the jig head in the way that you mention. Might even try that myself. :smiley:

Quote Originally Posted by JRBK View Post
    I am like the guy who you quoted..about going out catching nothing most times and getting ribbed by not only the wife, but the kids also.

Many thanks, Mark.

One outcome of this thread that has surprised me is just how many people seem to be in the same boat as you, pardon the pun.

When I have read comments in the past about people not being able to catch a keeper at places like Mud Island, I always though that they were just joking. It seems though, that there are a lot of people who share the problem of thwarted fishing ambitions. That is such a shame considering how much fun fishing can be.

I wonder if the TV fishing shows have a lot to answer for in this regard because they always make it seem too easy. :undecided: Blokes like Rex Hunt seem to be able to leave a rod in a rod holder and suddenly the thing goes off like a firecracker in front of the camera. :cry:

Like I said in the first post, when that does happen it is sure exciting, but no one should think that it is the norm and I know that a lot of hours can pass by in the making of those TV shows before any respectable fish are caught.

Indeed, I have seen quite a few shows where the end result is pathetic and they make up the time with a bit of filming of scenery padded out with trite platitudes like, "This is what it's all about, folks!" :rolleyes:

Quote Originally Posted by JRBK View Post
    I fish with an uncle who is just like you, fishes with a snyder glass rod matched with an alvey and concentrates almost solely on that rod alone. He has the touch something fierce,

An Ausfisher who worked with blind people once organised a fishing outing, circa 2006, with a bunch of blind people and with the help of a few Ausfishers like finding_time, kingtin, Lone_Wolf, and one or two others whose Ausfish names temporarily escape my memory.

Anyway, there was one bloke there who had been a keen fisho in his sighted days and who took along his own rod. Even though he was fishing for gar (I vaguely recall, I think) with a float, he had awesome "touch" as you put it and pulled in fish after fish. Even with using a float! :shocked:

That would be a great skill to have, albeit not at the price that he had paid to get it, of course. I guess that that is what Item 12 in my list of tips in the first post is all about.

Anyway, I am very glad that you have enjoyed the thread. Many thanks for your goodwill. :smiley:

Quote Originally Posted by jpcqw1 View Post
    I'm relatively new to fishing in the Southern Bay but I have had some good advice. Charlie's post is parallel with the advise I'd been given.

Correct me if I'm wrong but apart from an isolated spot look for a ledge ie. run up from flat bottom till you find the rise and backoff to the bottom just before the rise (usually 6-10m) and fish it as apart from resident fish, moving fish will travelling along this edge.

Advise also included three gang hooks, no swivels, very little or no lead.

Cheers:cool:

Quote Originally Posted by castlemaine View Post
    Advise also included three gang hooks, no swivels, very little or no lead.

Hi Castlemaine;

I reiterate something that I said in my post in that I like using ganged hooks and obviously your other adviser does also, but a lot of people don't.

eg Nugget Downie thinks that they make the bait look too interfered with and take away its natural look. Many people would prefer to use a big hook somewhere around the head of the bait - eg horizontally through the eyes or vertically through the mouth - tied with a few cm of line to a small hook (stinger) around the tail area.

I would agree that potentially the latter option might look more natural and probably be cheaper as well.

It is just a personal preference thing. Ganged hooks are good enough for me. Someone who is trying to win a fishing competition might be more willing than I am to spend the extra time and effort making up the rigs with stingers because the more natural look might give them an extra 5% advantage which might be useful to have in a competition.

I have not managed to catch a legal fish in the vicinity of Mud Island....and now I am going back to fishing the estuaries with perhaps a trip out into the Bay on a good day.
    At least I know I can catch a feed of bream in the estuaries..using bait.