Thread: load in the boat

Smile load in the boat

If you have to load your boat to the max. you know camping gear and ice eskys beer and such whats the best A/ even B//forward of midships C/ down the back We still want to have steering

Not a cork in a washing machine

goanna

Re: load in the boat

Quote Originally Posted by goanna1 View Post
    If you have to load your boat to the max. you know camping gear and ice eskys beer and such whats the best A/ even B//forward of midships C/ down the back We still want to have and have steering

Not a cork in a washing machine

goanna
    G'day,

Check your ABP for maximum laod and remember that driver and passengers are load.

Try to distribute the load so that the boat doesn't change attitude (i.e. side to side, fore to aft) than when empty. That should maintain neutral trim.

If you have trim tabs and usually trim down the nose you might to put a bit more weight forward.

Do not overload under any circumstances.

Regards,

White Pointer

yep yep keep the load in the cntre mind the maximum weight as per the plate. have you ever had to get one guy to come done the backto get on the plane

goanna

keep the heaviest parts of the load as low as possible in boat to avoid free surface affect which will help stability

Hello samson,

Free surface effect applies only to liquids that slosh from side to side.
    An example of this is a car ferry that neglects to close the bow doors and a wave then comes inside the vehicle deck and then sloshs from side to side. Evidently as little as a few inches of water caused a large car ferry to capsize.

The beer in the cans does not constitute free surface effect.

i have done 1 or 2 heavy trips which also involve upto 80km travel the thing i learnt was the 2 eskys (110ltr and 70ltr) at the back 200+ litres fuel at the front as that keeps the weight even from front to back the camping gear under a tarp at the front so it doesn't get wet crab pots and a 25ltr petrol tank at the rear (to know exactly how much fuel im using for the return trip aswell). i have never taken a pic but lets just say the 5.2mtr tinnie with 2 adults and a 60hp is at it very max you would want to push it. its never felt unsafe more like a barge at times but feels more planted with the weight. only time i have worried is when going through the bar with all the weight on.but even unloaded it was a bad bar that trip

any load can have free surface affect if it isn't secured especially eskies with slurries, he has a lot of load and if it shifts he will tip over so secure and keep low as possible or flip and swim his choice.

I put the majority of my camping gear in the boat right over the where the axles are to take the load, then tie it all down so nothing shifts. I don't put too much in but would have thought the same principles apply here like in a ute or normal trailer?

Smile Re: load in the boat

Quote Originally Posted by Fishbait View Post
    I put the majority of my camping gear in the boat right over the where the axles are to take the load, then tie it all down so nothing shifts. I don't put too much in but would have thought the same principles apply here like in a ute or normal trailer?

Ah ha I speak of while on the water. I rarely travel with anything much in the boat all the heavy gear goes in the back of the ute while on the road.

cheers goanna
    Last edited by goanna1; 09-04-2010 at 07:32 PM. Reason: two fingered typist

Quote Originally Posted by goanna1 View Post
    yep yep keep the load in the cntre mind the maximum weight as per the plate. have you ever had to get one guy to come done the backto get on the plane

goanna
    G'day,

No - passengers can be wherever they want and I use the trim tabs to adjust the attitude of the boat for the load. In heavy seas I might ask people to stand in the same place.

There is no booze on my boat. The only safe alcohol level is zero if things go wrong. By my reckoning I'm a better skipper and fisherman if I'm dry and my passengers are better off if they are dry too.

I do love a beer or three when I'm home though.

Regards,

White Pointer

Dear White Pointer
    I have no trim tabs its only a 4.55 sea jay teritory. Any booze is for in the camp. The skipper must be sober. I know trim tabs a marvelous in bigger boats. I thought some one might say e.g. heavy gear about midships or closer to the stern . but alas

Goanna

You'll have more worries fitting the gear in the available space.

Just have a look at her as she comes off the trailer.

Should be floating 'somewhat' lower in the water than usual, but with a similar attitude to the same boat when empty.

Heavy esky's full of p!ss and ice should be low, just stern of amidships, and have nothing stacked on the lids for ease of access. Never know when you'll need an emergency piece of ice

A 455 would have what a 50 or 60 h.p. engine? 100k.g. of gear and a couple of blokes and she'll struggle to plane at all.

50 hp 4/stroke, I think I may have had to much weigth forward of midships. I listen with interest to your comment that the aspect of the boat should be the same as if empty and will keep that in mind. Thank you for your helpfull comments

Goanna