Thread: Beach fishing: Running sinker vs Patternoster

Beach fishing: Running sinker vs Patternoster

What rigs do you use?

I find patternoster is better for holding the bottom when there is a decent current. Pyramid sinkers work well. But running sinker casts further when using baits such as pillies/strips.

What sinker holds the best when using running sinker?

Cheers

Re: Beach fishing: Running sinker vs Patternoster

if there's not alot of sweep the old ball sinker is fine. The next step from there I use the flat type surf sinker (circular). Bean sinkers work alright too but 'd prefer the circular flat ones over them
    Vegetarian - Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot that can't hunt, fish or ride.

Ausfish Platinum Member gr hilly's Avatar
    Blog Entries

flat round for me to.

I used to fish for Whiting quite a lot with a mate he only ever used a paternoster with two hooks, spoon sinker on the bottom, I only use a running sinker with a small swivel and one hook, we fished side by side a thousand times and I doubt he caught more fish than me (or vice versa) and either of us never had trouble with side currents as long as the sinker was adjusted to suit the conditions, the paternoster will cast better up to a point, because sometimes the running sinker will want to go further and faster than the line that is slowed down by the bait and stuff, and will cause a tangle, whereas the paternoster, everything is solid together, if you get my drift? but I still preferred the running sinker as a rig.

single paternoster with a pyramid sinker on the end

I was always taught to fish light enough so you never anchor your bait.
    So i use a ball sinker just small enough to keep the bait moving slowly. If the sweep is pretty bad i use a bean sinker.

I mostly used the paternoster, 15ft rod and overhead for big baits and snapper sinkers to anchor it exactly where i want it to stay for 20-30 minute periods or so.

Then I was free to throw lures or walk a lightly weighed rig (usually a running sinker rig) with the flow along a gutter or fish a float out through a rip.