Thread: What swirl is that????

What swirl is that????

Hi all,
    Was in the shallow flats along the Brissy River casting for livies on the weekend, caught plenty for the day which was great. :smiley: Thing is while we were there the bait was being pretty regularly chased, on several occasions in around .5 -2m of water I saw massive swirls the like of which I have only seen when a big dam barra hits a surface lure.:shocked: There were no fins around so I didn't think sharks.
    Has anyone else seen this or would like to guess what it could have been?

Re: What swirl is that????

maybs a jewie i dunno what one of them would be doing in shallow waters but you never know lol or maybs a queenie smashn seen that before and even on my popper amazing stuff
    ockoman

Trevors are really good at doing that.

Ocko thats what I was thinking, but could have been anything like FNQ says, I now remember trevs doing that at Bowen when I lived there years ago. I think next time we collect some livies I might fish the shallows and see if I can hook one of them up. Thought I might try some GT poppers and a livie on a float. Am curious as about this now.
    Anyhow as I said before it coulda been anything but thought I would throw it out there just to see what everyone thought as I dont have a lot of experience in the salt.
    Cheers
    Steve

Ausfish Platinum Member gr hilly's Avatar
    Blog Entries

trevers i'd say seen it at the pin often scared the crap out of me one evening couldnt get back in to my boat quick enough and then had a good laugh.

cheers hilly

They are Flathead and Stingray swirls. I see them all the time at low tide while fishing the flats at Jacobs Well. They are ambushing bait fish or getting away from you when they spot your boat getting close.

We cast lures at the swirls when we see them but rarely catch the fish that caused the swirl. Somehow they don't seem interested at lures when they create these swirls and leads me to think that somehow they are getting away in fear.

Cheers

yer could be right bandit, but hell its a big swirl. guess I may just have to go back there and give them a go and find out. Mrs is pretty keen to try, so i suppose I better take her fishing again to keep her happy "L"

Threadies chasing bait maybe?

GH and massive cod working the bait grounds most probs

Seen some pretty big swirls as a fat one comes thru the poop chute at luggage pt

It's probably from Troy or Jason diving in after they've hooked a thumping GT!:grin:

Quote Originally Posted by .:::stotty:::. View Post
    GH and massive cod working the bait grounds most probs

GH in the river?

Crocodile for sure!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jacksnbarra View Post
    GH in the river?
    Yeah there is a few around I have caught one along the pipeline. They sure are amoungst it.