Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best surf fishing spinning reel

Re: Best surf fishing spinning reel

Dan 5 how much do you want for your wobbly pieces of junk PM me if you wish

Cheers Adam

the best surf reels........since youre looking at these top shelf stuff,why not have a look as well at zeebaas reels.theyre built like tank and waterproof,better than saltiga.they are price at around $950USD and would last for a lifetime.

I checked'em out and they sure are exccy..! Dunno if I could quite justify paying 'that' much for a reel although they do look the dux guts.

Waterproof....sand proof....light....strong....powerful drag.....and more....all good!

I'd be busy worrying that someone might pinch it.

From what I read they are bringing out a range of new models soon; the ZX3 series. That'll be worth a squizz too...
    "...a voice in my head keeps telling me to go fishing..."

fyi... I saw this little blurb on a tackle site. Penn already do the o/s bit, now here's another example. With cheaper labour costs & more affordable production, I wonder if the shelf price of these reels will become cheaper..?

ZeeBaaS ZX Spinning Reel Information:

~ ~ Please Note that at the beginning of 2010 ZeeBaaS Reel Manufacturing has been taken overseas. There are only a few "Made in America" reels still left. Please call or email to verify the manufacturing origin of a particular reel. Soon the only ZeeBaaS Reels that will be available will be Made in China.

Hey PNG......did ya get a Catalina yet?

By the way i'll be taking mine over to New Britain with me aswell......give it a go on the Bass......

Cheers Dan.......

ZeeBaas to China? Is nothing sacred?
    OK, how about the Accurate TwinSpin series
    http://www.accuratefishing.com/produ...spin_index.php

Hi All,

IMO the best reel I have come across for LBG/Surf Fishing is the Daiwa Emblem Pro. Spool design allows it to cast a mile, retrieve speed flogs the TSS4 and much smoother too. It also has a huge drag and the price is pretty good at approx $350.

Cheers

Nick

Thanks guys for the ideas & options....

Haven't bought anything yet even though I've surfed a lot on-line at both Oz and o/s suppliers. Trouble is there's such a wide range of great looking, high perfomance reels available.

Its not much use paying top dollar for a top shelf reel if it aint gonna get some reasonable use. But on the same token, its nice to fish with good quality gear.

When I decide, it'll ultimately be due to a range of features such as: overall weight/line capacity/looks,structure,strength/braid friendly/how many bb's/retrieve ratio/drag capabilities/casting effectiveness/reliability/some good reviews etc...

What I end up paying will depend on the reel that 'best fits' with the above. Several do fit - so it just depends on which one to choose & whats the deciding factor/s.

So I can't say that any ONE reel in particular has stood out. From the Posts, several reels have strong followings.

Personally, the Catalina still seems a prime candidate. I wish the Saltiga Surf had a higher retrieve ratio than 4:1. And, besides the 'higher end' reels (Saltiga-z; Torque; Stella; VS & ZB) the likes of the Emblem Pro; Sustain etc can't be ruled out.

In the meantime I can enjoy the research & look forward to the final purchase; then, actually using the reel. I know, its just for off the beach...but as they say the 'hunt' can sometimes be just as rewarding as the catch.

I will throw one more onto the list as well. I have just bought a daiwa windcast z 5500 and it also ticks most of your boxes as well. not in the class of the catalina, saltiga surf or sustain but i like it and am now using it over my emblem pro.

Quote Originally Posted by PNG1M View Post
    ............... I wish the Saltiga Surf had a higher retrieve ratio than 4:1................

Not familiar with the reel in question but I'd be more interested in centimetres gained per rotation of the handle than the gear ratio if a hot retrieve was called for.

edit...just looked it up,32.7 ins per crank,so not that fast.

Makka Nick might want to check your stats out a bit better.

Emblem Pro 5500 5to1

TSS4 5.8to1

So who,s flogging what

While on the topic of retreive rates, I was having another look at the Catalina and they come in two versions for most models.

The standard one has a 5:1 retrieve ratio and the other H (high speed) models have 5:7 (they say 108cm per crank & the 5:1 does 98cm).

Pretty good...eh? The one pictured below is a 4000 H model with 9 + 1bbs, capacity of 240yds of 16lb mono with drag rating 10kg, weight 20.9g (not three bad!)

THE Blurb goes like this:
    Features sturdy full metal body, 10kg max tournament drag, manual return bail system, cam driven oscillation, water proof body and drag, titanium twist buster line roller, rotor brake in casting, tough air bail wire, floating pinion gear, digital cut gear from material 1.6 times stronger than duralumin, perfect double stopper (infinite roller and mechanical).

Covers most things, don't it? I just wonder, exactly how waterproof that waterproof body is...

Agree with Dan5 , have a Catalina 4500 and its a pleasure, great drag, tough and seems ok waterproof wise so far, used it mainly offshore and also on the rocks last year,, havent used it surf fishing but doubt any spinner will last if dunked in the sand too often...

have the emblem pro and chalk and cheese. just not as solid
    mike
    Tangles KFC

Quote Originally Posted by fadd View Post
    Makka Nick might want to check your stats out a bit better.

Emblem Pro 5500 5to1

TSS4 5.8to1

So who,s flogging what
    Go back and check the stats again, but this time check how much line is retrieved with each turn of the handle. That's what determines how quickly a lure is traveling through the water. No point in madly cranking a handle if you have a small spool collecting the line. The spool on an Emblem pro is HUGE, meaning more line collected with each handle turn (122cm!) AND more space for some nice big drag washers.

My intention wasn't to personally attack TSS4 users, I own one myself. But I'll never go back to the TSS4 after using the Emblem Pro. My arms don't ache like hell after a day spinning with the Daiwa, not like the wobbly old TSS4's!

Another good high speed spinning reel is the Daiwa Saltist 4500 or 6500. 6.1:1 ratio and great drags (15kg on the 6500).

I agree with Aigutso, the Catalina is a much better reel than the Emblem, but it would want to be for double the price.

PNG the Catalina will do the job nicely. As I understand it, this replaced the Saltiga blast so is a new improved version of it. As I think they sit above the Saltiga surf in the range but cannot confirm that one.
    I have a 6500 Expedition. I call it Seargent Kickarse. nuff said.

If money is no option and especially since you are going surf fishing I narrow it down to these options.

Daiwa Saltiga Z

Daiwa Saltiga S-Extreme

Shimano Stella SW series

Daiwa Catalina

Shimano Twinpower SW series.

For the upper range of these reels they will have some weight to them as they are built tough and very corrosion resistant.

By the way I also have recently purchased a Stella 5000 SW and also love it. An awesome reel to use.

My pick of the options for your use is a Stella 8000 SW.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Cheers, Mark.