Thread: Leaving from White Island ramp tomorrow morning. Suggestions?

Leaving from White Island ramp tomorrow morning. Suggestions?

Hi all I am picking up my 575 Outsider tomorrow from The Cruise Craft factory after having a minor repair completed today.
    My sister and her teenage sons are coming with me (school hols). We figured seeing as we are going to be down there we may as well put it in and have a bit of a fish there but have never been there. The forecast doesn't look good enough to go to Moreton Island, so we are going to just fish around the mouth and maybe in the river if we can find some spots.
    Have never fished there before.
    In fact, I moved to Mackay 29 years ago and only moved back home 8 months ago.
    I have been looking at the charts and was planning on trying some of the reefs around Mud Island.
    MY sister is nagging me to go into some of those creeks to see if we can see any of those dead whales that have been reported to be in there.
    I'm not sure that I'm game to go in there for my first time on a falling tide though, but I thought the creeks might fish pretty well for estuary species, if I can get in there. (High at 5.00am)
    I understand people are not going to be giving away secret spots but if anyone was prepared to give me any advice as to places to experiment or any recommendation not to go somewhere, I would appreciate it.
    We all enjoy just being out on the water so I'm sure we will have a good time anyway.
    Cheers,
    Paul

Re: Leaving from White Island ramp tomorrow morning. Suggestions?

If you only wanted to have a casual fish, you could give the rock wall a try. When you come out from the ramp into the Brisbane River, just keep going to the other side. You will soon see the wall. Careful not to hit it if you are there on high tide as the section of the wall once it leaves the shore gets covered.

Or, you could try the end of the wharf at the mouth of the river. Head out, and then when you are at the end, turn right. Lots of boats fish along the exposed wall.

No reason not to go to Mud. There is nothing to hit. It is 10m all the way across from the mouth to the island. I have never had much luck on the west side (usually the protected side), but a lot of the plastics guys do ok drifting along the 10m dropoff approximately between the west cardinals. Lots of structure in closer to the island that you can sound out, but I have never done any good at Mud during the daylight hours. I usually fish the late afternoon into early evening, and on the eastern side.

Isnt Whyte Island closed for months for bridge work?

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin_Mike View Post
    Isnt Whyte Island closed for months for bridge work?

Mike
    It was pretty full of boat trailers when I took a drive there on Sunday.

I think the ramp is open but the passage under the bridge into the brisbane river is supposed to be closed for bridge construction

shane

Quote Originally Posted by robersl View Post
    I think the ramp is open but the passage under the bridge into the brisbane river is supposed to be closed for bridge construction

shane

If thats the case then the ramp aint much good without the passage out to the brissy river is it. Looks like youre either gonna have to go out the southern way through the boat passage where there isnt alot of water at the best of times, or you use Colmslie or Pinkenba ramps.

Mike

Steve added a sticky saying it will be open every weekend, and only closed sometimes during the week. Can still turn right though, so is still an option mid week to launch if going to Mud.

Thanks for the tips ...unfortunately I was gone before they were posted. Thanks just the same. We ended up having a fish in the boat passage. We were just casual fishing. Got lots of little stuff but we all had a good time. We moved through the passage fishing here and there and ended up going to Green Island. We got on to some better stuff there. I landed a 42 cm flattie but let him go again.
    My sister dropped what looked to be a nice salmon... could only tell by looking at the tail thrashing out of the water just before and after she lost it.
    Lost a couple of other decent things too and then we had to come home. A good day was had by all.
    This release from the Port of Brisbane Authority says that the passage to the river is not closed until August 2010.....
    http://www.ausfish.com.au/formupload...tpassage-2.pdf
    Thanks again
    Paul

Ya silly old goat Mike!!

Why don't you read the sticky in Saltwater Chat re the bridge at Whyte Island?

Sheesh! Some people. Gotta spoon feed 'em all the time.

And another thing. What's that reel you got from the reel fairy?

TOL

Quote Originally Posted by theoldlegend View Post
    Ya silly old goat Mike!!

Why don't you read the sticky in Saltwater Chat re the bridge at Whyte Island?

Sheesh! Some people. Gotta spoon feed 'em all the time.

And another thing. What's that reel you got from the reel fairy?

TOL

Not tellin ya now Johnno..............................well OK, I sent you a PM about it.....

Mike