Thread: Upper Brizzy River Camping

Upper Brizzy River Camping

I've heard that access to camping around fernvale has been slowly getting shut down.. Does anyone know if any spots are still available or if 4wd and trail bikes have completely screwed it? Fitzy mentioned in a post a while ago that it looked like lowood bends, savages crossing, Burtons Bridge and the kholo bridge would be next.. Has this happened? Hope not, as it would be a shame if the only camping spots left around brisbane were in caravan parks..............

Re: Upper Brizzy River Camping

Officially there is now no camping sites along the Brisbane River from Wivenhoe to Kholo. A shame, thanks to squatters, trail bike riders & redneck 4x4 louts.

Some folks still pitch a tent at some of the access points. Police do move some of them on, some slip through the cracks.

There is one private property along the river that allow camping that I know of. That is the first house across from Twin Bridges, however I've not gone there myself, so cant say what the conditions of camping are or what it costs. Looks good from the river tho...

Cheers,

fitzy..
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

Camp at Somerset - the fishing is better!

Phil

There seem to be some fairly regular campers at Savages Crossing however I don't think it is legal.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

Thanks Fitzy. It is a shame isn't it........

Quote Originally Posted by aussiebasser View Post
    There seem to be some fairly regular campers at Savages Crossing however I don't think it is legal.
    So they haven't closed it off physically like some of the other areas?
    Cheers, Joel

There have been some bollards put into the ground to block vehicle access at Twin Bridges & Savages Crossing. These are actually just cut sections of railway line but do an effective job.

You are ok to walk between the bollards & trailbike riders still go thru by the dozen sometimes (part of the original reason for blocking off access was the trailbikes, go figure). At Savages one post had been removed last time I was there & you could drive through if you have a 4x4.

Not supposed to camp there by the signs, but some still do. The police occasionally go down & have a clean out & give some nice pieces of paper out.

The risk you run I guess.

Cheers,

fitzy..
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au