Thread: boyne or calliope river

boyne or calliope river

G'day.
    I'm new to gladstone area and was wondering what sought of fish i could target in the freshwater part of the boyne, west of awoonga. Feel like going for a walk through the bush and flicking some lures but I have no idea what sought of fish are up this way. Don't think Bass come this far north. Any help would be great thanks.
    Brett. . .

Re: boyne or calliope river

Quote Originally Posted by ropes05 View Post
    G'day.
    I'm new to gladstone area and was wondering what sought of fish i could target in the freshwater part of the boyne, west of awoonga. Feel like going for a walk through the bush and flicking some lures but I have no idea what sought of fish are up this way. Don't think Bass come this far north. Any help would be great thanks.
    Brett. . .
    Brett.. No Bass mate but you could try the Calliope river bridge just north of the Calliope crossroads.. When the tide is running out Jack and Barra can be caught from the rocks

Hi Ropes.

I worked on the upper Boyne River around Netherly & Ubobo some years back when Awoona was at stage 1. We were commonly down the river trying our luck. We only ever managed to catch catties & Spangled Perch, and one huge eel once.

Not sure if there would be much more up there these days, however sooty grunter might lurk right up there as they were stocked in Awoonga years ago and are still occasionally showing up, they must be breeding somewhere & the river up there is what they need. Mullet are stocked in the dam. These fish love to run upstream at times si I'd expect to see the odd one up there.
    Never know, a the odd barra or saratoga could have pushed upstream was well.

Regarding the Calliope River.
    I've fished it from the mouth well inland & past Catfish Creek. Lotsa catties right up there. Have caught some really good bream & tarpon west of Calliope town. Look for crossings over the road & go from there.

Be advised that the odd croc does get into the upper Calliope River & even well past the highway bridge.

Here's a video I quickly shot next to the highway one day while driving north. Not hard to get a jack or estuary cod in the tidal stuff.

Cheers,

fitzy..
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

i have caught lotsa big jack in the exact place shown in the video, cant really add more to whats already been said mate.If you like catching catties well your in luck, might get the odd perch as well.As for the crocs, youd have to be bloody unlucky ive swam in that river since i was 5.Im now near 33, im not saying there not there tho..