Thread: Somerset after dark

Somerset after dark

Going to Somerset in a few weeks after Red Claw.
    Does anyone know if boating is allowed on the dam after dark so we can check our pots.

John

Re: Somerset after dark

"No boating is permitted after dark on Lake Somerset"

http://www.sweetwaterfishing.com.au/Somerset.htm

Cheers,

fitzy..
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
    "No boating is permitted after dark on Lake Somerset"

http://www.sweetwaterfishing.com.au/Somerset.htm

Cheers,

fitzy..
    Thanks Fitzy

I didn't know that. It certainly is not enforced, I suppose like most things it is a rule that can be used if there is a reason to do so. Good thing.

Fortunately the few I have seen on the dam at night are quietly moving around fishing or checking pots (who knows who's pots they are checking?). I expect it is a safety thing so the ski fraternity or other fast boats aren't tearing around at night.

Regards Daryl

Most of my Money is spent on Booze and Fishin.
    The Rest is just Wasted!
    To The Shed.............

Well that was news to me - Thanks Fitzy.

As they say - you learn something new every day

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

The info on that page is provided direct from SEQWater at their request.

I'm pretty sure that the same rules will apply for all SEQWater owned impoundments, noting that SEQWater have only recently taken over many SE Qld dams; the old status quo is probably still standing or the after dark rule not enforced on these other "newly acquired" dams / lakes. But it is/will be enforced on the established SEQWater dam eg Somerset & Wivenhoe.

I would think it is there for safety of the boaties, ALSO bear in mind that there would be a duty of care by the dam owner to assist a boat in distress or if there's a an accident. WH&S rules wont allow Rangers to be out on the water at night. If there's an accident on the water at night up there, choppers need to be called in. I'd hate to be paying the probably $1500 / hour operating costs of a S&R chopper if I was simply out checking redclaw pots..... or worse yet if there was an accident.

All of the above may change in the future with a review being undertaken by SEQWater on all recreation activities on all of its dams / lakes.

Hope the info helps & explains things a bit better.

Cheers,

fitzy..
    Last edited by Fitzy; 24-04-2010 at 10:09 PM.
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

if no -one is aloud out on the dam at night that would be fantastic.
    i could get a decent sleep in without worrying that someone is checking my pots for me..
    should make the same rule for the passage.....