Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: camper trailers

Re: camper trailers

oh ok cool!

Looks loke a ripper setup Darren. Bet you and the family have some great times away with that.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Mr__Bean View Post
    Finga,

It is legal, and well within limits, back rack extends 1080mm behind the camper.

Look again at the photo with the boat on and note the distance that the axle is back from the front of the tow hitch compared to the distance to the back of the trailer. The axle is way way back from centre. The long drawbar also gives plenty to play with to keep within axle dimensions and it tows very very well.

Why on earth would you need to get it re-measured?

Shano,

Great. As long as requirements of VSB-1 are met then life is sweet. Real sweet by the looks.
    Are the rear racks counted as part of the trailer when it's measured for rego or are they just regarded as overhang?
    Also is the front bike rack regarded as a portion of the load carrying area for rego measuring criteria or is it just regarded as an add on?
    Thanks then...
    I'm curious as I'm contemplating another trailer. Not a camper but an extendible trailer.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

I regard the rack as overhang, I don't think you could have an accessory measured as being part of the trailer. Given that it is only fitted part of the time.

A bit like your boat not being part of your boat trailer.

Which I might add, if people are to worry about overhang, have a look at some of the overhang on boat trailers.

Some trailers finish short under the boat, then they have a pod on the transom, then they have a tilted outboard hanging further back.

With regard to my initial post, I was just trying to point out that if you build or look for a camper that has a very solid offroad chassis then there are many more things you can do with your camper that give better usage options.

Too many campers end up shoved down the back yard on in the garage after their first half dozen or so trips away. If you have the ability to take things with you then you are more likely to take the camper rather than book a caravan park cabin etc.

Loading it up like we do is not something I recommend everyone does, we have set our up for many options and we now use the camper more often again, but heading down the road looking like the bloody Ashton Circus isn't for everyone.

- Darren