Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: camper trailers

Re: camper trailers

scott, that 20 per cent off sale at supa crap is /was worth every cent, the lightforce xrg burn new eyeball sockets in the back of your head, 500 mtrs away.mate was it you that was chatting about 6 volt batteries
    cheers mate
    ian

Quote Originally Posted by sid_fishes View Post
    scott, was it you that was chatting about 6 volt batteries
    cheers mate
    ian
    Nope. I hate them in vehicles.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Mate

We do a 7x4 with 500mm sides and Camper for $3950 Registered NSW

Choice of Two Camper's

1-Mario Camper 16'x18'=288sq feet/around 96m2. Made in China, reasonable quality, but a bitch to put up, took me Two hours the first time, down to 30 odd minutes now.

2- Pinnacle Camper from Melbourne, (not up on where manufactured), again reasonable quality.
    18'x30'=540sq feet/around 180m2.
    Accordng to the supplier, around fifteen/twenty minutes to put up, I would say that depends on how many room attachments you are putting up (and there are a few with this model).

The Trailer

As said 7x4x 500mm deep.
    Thats it
    NO Sink
    NO Stove
    NO Anything extra unless ordered

It is made up as a DUAL Purpose Trailer.
    Take the Camper off top and you have a TRAILER
    Put the Camper on Top, add "YOUR STOVE/ SINK/ And what ever you want, and you have a Camper".

If you want any more info, send a P.M. and I will organise more.

I just put them together (Weld.Wire.Paint.etc)

Hope this adds to the confusion

Rob T

nope, not any more rob.
    i,m going to build the trailer so i know it wont break, as per kitchen.
    now if i could just sew, i,d do the tent as well
    ian

sorted out the trailer plans today, just need to work out a bill of quantities and make it happen
    that wont take to long,[i hope] i need a break
    ian

Gees matey...if you need a break just come and visit.
    As long as you don't keep the cook and I awake with the snoring then your always welcomed.
    We're building a fence at the moment so your well and truly welcome to visit.

thats a great design there wags!!

Quote Originally Posted by wags on the water View Post
    Ian, I built my CT and a good friend (Dirk and Tina from Dirks Camper Trailers) built the tent for the top. The axle/wheels match my Prado. Finga did the wiring....an excelent job too.

I'm also on myswag.....as Wags. I have a few pics there too.

Cheers,
    Wags

Attachment 57489 Attachment 57490 Attachment 57491

Attachment 57492 Attachment 57493 Attachment 57494

Attachment 57495 Attachment 57496

Quote Originally Posted by sid_fishes View Post
    .Shano, where did you get your spring/axle and hubs from/what are they rated to ?
    let the fun begin
    cheers for the replies guys
    ian
    the springs and axle from actve and hubs brakes i supply them! springs are 1500kg axle is 50mm square!

ok ok here it is , spent ages trying to find it, here is the link to the full build of mine !
    http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...d.php?t=110418

Quote Originally Posted by shano View Post
    thats a great design there wags!!
    I can't quite remember the bloke who shared his design for the base.............and the sides............and the drawbar..............oh and the locking mechanism for the tailgate.
    Thanks mate.
    Mind you the drawbar could have been a foot longer.........

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by wags on the water View Post
    I can't quite remember the bloke who shared his design for the base.............and the sides............and the drawbar..............oh and the locking mechanism for the tailgate.
    Thanks mate.
    Mind you the drawbar could have been a foot longer.........

Cheers.
    yeah he is a top bloke aint I.... i mean he lol!
    but yes your 100% right i agree the draw bar could be longer even 2 foot longer would be good!

For anyone contemplating making their own trailer can I recommend that you put some thought into mounting points for additional racks and things that you may want to add later,

Don't skimp on chassis strength and you will be able to utilise the camper for many more additional activities.

It is surprising what you can safely hang off a camper if it as set up right.

Some photos of ours with gear loaded, good strong attach points for racks and a long drawbar make it easy.

- Darren

Just make sure if you put racks on like above to have the trailer re-measured for rego and insurance.
    Just looking at the pictures above I'd be concerned about distance from centre of axle rearwards in relation to distance forward of the axle and the towbar setup with the bike rack and extended tongue (by the looks).
    The bike racks out the back could be deemed illegal to most coppers as the maximum overhang out the back is 1.2m (without flag) and there are restrictions in overall dimensions.
    If in QLD consult the brochure entitled "Projecting Loads" available here.
    It has the allowable overall dimensions and allowable overhangs.
    http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/Home...jecting_loads/

I'm saying that on first impressions and pictures. In reality the above is more then likely very legal.

mr_bean how do you unload the tinnie/trailer?

Finga,

It is legal, and well within limits, back rack extends 1080mm behind the camper.

Look again at the photo with the boat on and note the distance that the axle is back from the front of the tow hitch compared to the distance to the back of the trailer. The axle is way way back from centre. The long drawbar also gives plenty to play with to keep within axle dimensions and it tows very very well.

Why on earth would you need to get it re-measured?

Shano,

To load we take the engine off then push the empty tinnie off the trailer. Slip out the 2 bolts from the front mount of the slipper springs and the axle assembly is slipped out of the trailer frame. Trailer frame is lifted up onto racks (not too heavy without axle and springs) and fixed to racks. Tinnie is then lifted and slid back onto trailer (winch assists) and tied down same as when on the road. Axle and springs then mounted on top of aluminum toolbox thingy.

It is a bit of mucking around but so is being away without a trailer for the tinnie.

Having 2 teenage boys helps.

- Darren