Thread: Help on Tuning 30 Hp Yamaha 3 Cylinder 4 stroke

Help on Tuning 30 Hp Yamaha 3 Cylinder 4 stroke

Hi Gang ,
    I'm trying to pick your brains for my mate ,

He's trying to Tune 1 of his 2 Yamaha 30 hp 3 cylinder 4 stroke motors that he has on his houseboat .
    He's unsure of the Year & Model but thinks its in the early 2000's
    I believe 1's running rough & the other one Ok .
    Also think they are running off 1 common fuel tank .

He's already tried a few things & was wondering if anyone knows the Vacuum Setting for Triple Carbie's ?

Thanks in advance
    Peter
    Searaider 2
    Peter
    Searaider 2

Re: Help on Tuning 30 Hp Yamaha 3 Cylinder 4 stroke

Do they even have one? interested to know?? (caveat is of coarse you can apply one and to tune above what your mate is trying to achieve some people can and do use them).

In a generic sense on petrol engines, if a person cannot find his way to an acceptable enough result without a vacuum setting he might consider stopping for some hands on help, 3 carbs do complicate things but the mixture screw set to or near standard is most often very much enough to gain a smooth enough running motor...unless there is something as still undiagnosed complicating the issue and then until sorted a vacuum gauge will be more or less a waste of time.

Has he tried dumping all fuel in the bowls...it's almost the first place worth a look.

cheers fnq

Using a set of vaccum gauges set all carbies to the same vaccum as the bottom carby (base carby) once there even there is nothing else to do.. I assume you have checked the tappet clearance and set the mixture screws to the base setting before syncronizing the carbies.
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Thumbs up Re: Help on Tuning 30 Hp Yamaha 3 Cylinder 4 stroke

Hi Guys ,
    Thank you very much for the Info I'll pass it on .
    Yes believe it or not it is for my Mate & not me

FNG , ( Thanks )
    My Mates pretty handy with motors so I'm pretty sure he's tried all the basics .

Spanard _King / Garry ,
    Thanks Mate , that sounds like the Info he was after .
    Last edited by Searaider 2; 01-04-2010 at 01:53 AM. Reason: Incorrect Spelling
    Peter
    Searaider 2

Also another tip,

drop each cylinder using thew mixture screw.. if you get no response from one particular carby then most likely this carby needs cleaning
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech