Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Techni Ice Sheets

Re: Techni Ice Sheets

So I’m not a physicist but the Techni Ice sheets only get as cold as the freezer you freeze them in. I’ve found they don’t live up to their claimed performance on longevity and they do split. I have some but now use them in a small esky that I take along to BBQ’s and picnics. I love the 3L fruit juice bottles. Clean out well first and it makes good drinking water when they melt – about 4-5 days in my esky.

I think a 12V or gas freezer would be the ideal choice to keep things frozen for a trip that long. They can be expensive though.
    What would Steve do?

fortes fortuna adjuvat

Quote Originally Posted by For Steve View Post
    So I’m not a physicist but the Techni Ice sheets only get as cold as the freezer you freeze them in. I’ve found they don’t live up to their claimed performance on longevity and they do split. I have some but now use them in a small esky that I take along to BBQ’s and picnics. I love the 3L fruit juice bottles. Clean out well first and it makes good drinking water when they melt – about 4-5 days in my esky.

I think a 12V or gas freezer would be the ideal choice to keep things frozen for a trip that long. They can be expensive though.
    It's true whatever you freeze at home irrespective of what it is will only ever get as cold as what freezes it, the environment and it's surface area will dictate how fast it thaws.

I gave up on those techniice sheets and the other styles a fair way back and now use plastic bottles exclusively, total frozen volume matters.

cheers fnq

No doubt theheat and humidity o far north QLD will play a part. Because ONLY frozen items will be in this esky with 15 sheets of techni ice, this will hopefully only be opened once or twice a day. I am hoping that things lastlonger this way.

Also hoping that somewhere in Capetribulation or even in Cooktown, i can get access to a bait fridge to refreeze the sheets again for the trip back. I might ask my butcher mate in cooktown to use a freezer overnight for that purpose.

they say 1 sheet per 7 litre space in esky so i reckon 15 sheets in a 100l esky as well as some cold bottles of water and frozen meat packs this will suffice

go the frozen bottles no mess, more drinking water, cheap as chips,butcher mate will have some ready for ya to swap and go when ya get there, techni is ok over night but they absorb smells and juice and you will be dissapointed.
    cheers swano

Watch this space

Just purchsed 10 sheets and will see how far it gets me

Hopefully freshly caught fish will solve all freezing needs

waeco 60lt freezer $1200, 230 amp agm battery $800

will stay at -20 for 8 days with no charge at 35deg with no further charge

Connect to car/ boat , go forever

AGM Battery will last 10 yrs, fridge, well never been able to kill it yet

total cost $2000

dry ice $45/ trip/ 44 trips or 4 a year over 10 years for same cost

So if you do it more than 4 times a year then why worry about dry ice, use it as a fridge for weekends as well

cheers

cheers

Hakuna....................that certainly makes sense

thinking..........thinking........thinking

Just returened from 9 days in Cooktown and surrounding areas. Techni ice kept things frozen for 3 days with minimal use of the eski. Going again this week for a week but will be using a larger eski. This means that it will probably keep things cold but not keep things frozen. I think ice sheets coupled with blocks of ice will do a better job

cheers

I prefer the dry ice, but only with plenty of food around it so it doesnt die off quickly - space kills the dry ice. And lock the veg and fruit away from it cause it will gas them up...

Tehcni ice sheets are ok but a bit of a pain. Nice for that little day trip when you want to cover some stuff to keep fresh. Otherwise bottles, party ice and dry ice and well packed esky.

Cheers
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Thanks everyone for the posts. I have been looking for a good ice box / esky for ages now. Decided to buy 100 ltr Techni Ice chest and 16 sheets. I usually freeze 3 Ltr bottles rock hard in my deep freeze - they last ages and yes great to drink the water from them as they melt. I also bought techni ice sheets to keep the blocks of water (In the 3ltr bottles) frozen longer. As the Ice melts the plastic bottle allows condensation to build on the outside of the bottle... this is what will damage the techni ice sheets! Keeping them DRY and not wet will stop them expanding and eventually splitting. I like the cliplock bag idea. When I leave home and pack the esky (last thing I do before leaving) the esky is -18deg. This time when I arrive for my 10 day beach bumming holiday, I plan to bury my esky in the sand and keep a thick tarp on the top of it. I have got 15 days out of this technique without the techni ice sheets and without a techni ice esky. Would like to know how KINGKEV got on ?? take care to all readers of my post, and I'm keen to hear your responses and suggestions.
    Pete
    "" Hello ? .... Yes Dear, just throwing out the left over bait ! ""