Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 130,000 barra for awoonga.... more to come

130,000 barra for awoonga.... more to come

hi guys
    for you that are interested the awoonga stocking have started and 130,000 x 50-80mm fingerlings were released from the early hours of yesterday morning. thanks to jason and johnny for assisting in the final loads of fish, it was greatly appreciated that you too the time to assist (especially jas when he had clients with him - those barra never travelled so fast). all fish released were distributed throughout all arms of the dam. there is another 150,000 without homes so they will also be released in the following weeks, a community and kids day will be conducted also. i will keep you posted, and all welcome to assist.

kind regards
    kurt
    WHERES THEM BREAM?

Re: 130,000 barra for awoonga.... more to come

Well done Kurt, I am sure everyone appreciates and acknowledges the effort you and your team put into the raising of the fingerlings.

Two thumbs up.

Pete.

thanks guys
    for yur hard work in given us a fun fishery

Thank you to all involved.Stirling effort.What an awesome time to release them!Great to see this amazing fishery grow and change.Thanks again.
    Dan.

Hey Kurt, when you say Community & kids day - is that for the Hatchery ???

Awesome experience that is doing a the tour - will strongly recommend to everyone.

I will certainly bring the wife along - she really doesn't understand my obsession with the mighty Awoonga Barra !!!!

Gaz

Great work Kurt!!!

Future is looking awesome for Awoonga fishing!!'

Steve
    I dont have ADHD......ohh look a squirrell !!!

gary
    the community day will allow local fishemen to release a load of fingerlings themselves. i will pull up at the ramp and anyone can run them up the dam. the kids day will involve the younger fishermen to release fish along the shoreline. i will post the dates after maturnity leave. the mangrove jack fry are coming along well with some good numbers still present (about 450,000).

anytime you want the tour it is available. another production run is anticipated in 2 weeks for fish to be grown over winter, ready for groups early september/october at 150mm.

enjoy

cheers
    kh
    WHERES THEM BREAM?

Thanks for sharing Kurt, and awesome work Johnny and Jas.

The community day sounds like a wonderful initiative. Well done to all involved, and especially yourself mate. Must book myself in for a tour of the hatchery when I am next up your way.

Cheers
    Paul
    Ranger 188VX - "Sweet Chariot"

Well done mate.

Congrats on the release, that is great for the impoundment.

Has there been any discussions about age expectancies for these fingerlings etc. Without opening a can of worms, the lack of policy that states 1m+ fish shouldn't be returned to the impoundment would just make a large percentage of these fingerlings expensive bait for the larger fish.

Is there any research being done into this? I know the DPI have done a fair amount of work on size assorted stocking in closed environments.
    Captain of "Pukka"
    469 Stacer Seahorse
    50hp Tohatsu Tiller

Fisherman, PADI Diver, Spearfisherman.

Wynnum North, Queensland.

Great stuff.

Looking forwards to the day 130,000 jack fingerlings get released

Luc

Great work Kurt, now go and enjoy looking after your other babies. Thanks for all the effort you put in.
    regards, scott.

thanks for the comments guys.

just wanted to let you interested helpers know that the community stocking day will be held on saturday morning 10th april. i will be stationed at the kalinda ramp. live wells will be required and an aquarium net will also be helpfull. looking at meeting at this ramp at about 9:00am, where a general breifing will take place. again, anyone is invited to participate, just require a boat.

just got back from maturnity leave (boy - reece michael), and there appears to be more fish in the hatchery than first expected. i will be releasing more fish in the boyne arm by foot earlier on in that morning (no help required on this one).

enjoy....

kind regards
    kh
    WHERES THEM BREAM?

Congratulations for your new son, hope all are well. scott.

Kurt,

Congratulations to you and your wife on the birth of Reece Michael.

Regards

Trevor and Pauline
    Fish for the future, enjoy the present but think of your children.