Thread: "treating" cork handle rods

"treating" cork handle rods

hey guys bought a new 762 med snapper raider rod this afternoon and i am just wondering what i should treat the cork handle with in order to protect it, any suggestions would be grately appreciated
    troy.

Re: "treating" cork handle rods

I clean the cork with detergent and put is out in the sun make sure it is dead dry then rub parrifin wax on it and then heat with hairdryer and wipe of excess.
    Do this about 3 to 4 times and you will find it protects the cork . Remember to make sure cork is dry or you could get mould in cork

If you varnish it 1st cab off the rank it will stay in pristine condition.

thanks guys, might try this, i also heard something about vegetable oil or something like that, ???
    troy

Cork Seal, i started a thread in the rod building section on this....some great advice in there also.
    Thats another one for the Punisher!

Cork is a natural material. Don't try and make it something that it isn't. If they start to look a bit grotty then rub them with a clean cloth soaked in metho. Natural cork gives you the best grip and feel by far. I have cork grips in good nick after 20 years of use. It all depends on the quality of cork in the first place. I personally like the look of a slightly worn grip. It gives some character to your outfit
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

I agree with Horse.Metho and a course rag.
    If it was meant to be treated with anything then someone would have done it out of the factory.

Toddy

Same, I wouldnt varnish or oil, natural cork loks fine.
    Clean after use, store away from criters that mite gnaw on it, and once in a while give it a good wash with a worn down scourer and detergent water, dry, bob's your dads bro!