Thread: New Marina - Townsville

New Marina - Townsville

Townsville boaties to get new haven
    Friday, 26 March 2010

LAING O’Rourke will form an alliance with the Port of Townsville to build a new $110 million marine precinct.
    Work on the Townsville Marine Precinct project is expected to start within months.

Laing O’Rourke executive chairman Andrew Wilson said the company had opened an office in Townsville last month after assessing the region’s infrastructure expansion plans.

“The company devised a strategy to have a presence in Townsville back in 2006 after the state government released its plan for the Northern Economic Triangle, which included expansion plans for the port,” he said.

''We believe there will be strong economic growth in the region and have committed to long-term investment in Townsville.

''Townsville’s robust and diverse economy is underpinned by a strong industrial base and infrastructure investment by the government and the defence and university sectors.”

The marine precinct will include a new base for the city’s commercial fishing fleet, marine fabrication and repair industries, marine research facilities, boat ramps and parking.

Queensland Premier Anna Bligh said the precinct would cement the future of marine industries in the region.

“It provides room for marine industries to expand and create new jobs and it secures existing jobs with a purpose-built precinct,” she said.

“It will directly employ 400 people over the various stages of construction.

“In addition, the first stage, to be completed by November 2011, will preserve 500 existing jobs in marine industries.”

Re: New Marina - Townsville

I will say that its about time something happened, and we are grateful for it, but regardless of what the govt press release says, here's the REAL time line for it:

First begin costruction of new commercial precinct, which will start off with reclaiming a heap of land that will take a minimum of 12 months.

once land has been reclaimed, allow another 2-3 years, for new commercial marine operations building to begin, such as Townsville slipways seafood co-op, moorings for commercial vessels, plus expansion of the new port.

relocate all current marine industries to new location (6-12months)

Finish Port access road (6months)

Reclaim land for new recreational facilities (3-4 months)

Construction of recreational facilities, 12-18months

Wait for (hopefully not) Labor Premier to get their lazy arse up here for the opening (3 months)

So like I said grateful for it, but it won't be operational for another 5 years minimum, and considering we have had NO facilities expanded for the last 10 years, it will be a case off too little too late, especially with our rate of growth we are experiencing (without including other insdustry, Townsville is expected to gain another 5-10000 people with the move of more military)

With the additional facilities, even if we got them to magically appear today, it still isn't enough to meet the guidlines set by the State govt, given the region's current boat ownership, let alone in 5 years time. Meanwhile our situation only worsens, becasue of a short sighted state and local Govt who have been raking in the taxes for the last 10 years, for which the only thing that has paid for is an annual water blast to remove algae from the ramps.

Meanwhile, our local council is hit with a bill for 30mill (pay it or no precinct) to pay for the precinct, even though, every other port along the coast of queensland has been fully funded by the state and federal govt including any recreational failities attached.

We've been screaming for more and better facilities for the last 5 years, and have gotten squat, and now when we finally have a 'victory' its bitter sweet, becasue by the time it rolls around, we'll be in the same stiuation as we are in now, and all we'll get is "we've just built you more ramps so you don't need anymore" Council better start thinking about capping our population I think

Greg
    this is the last in a long line of press releases we have had shoved down our throats so please don't expect us to get excited . the only reason I believe something will finally be done is that the comercial fleet has to move because a new bridge that is being built while we speak is too low for the comercial fleet to go under so that means as soon as the bridge is built then Townsville will not have a berth or a wharf that a trawler can get to . so once the comercial fleet is moved then the government is supposedly going to build us some more ramps and parking spaces .we will see but I for one am not going to hold my breathe
    Stuie
    IF IT CAN'T EAT A WHOLE PILLY I DON'T WANT IT

Stuie - you are more than likely right. I have received some tender documentation for the project so hopefully for you guys they follow the schedule but given the fiasco that happened with the Sydney metro I tend to agree and adopt the wait and see.

Best of luck guys - you need it because that public ramp up there is one of the worst set ups I have ever seen.

Greg
    they have to do something because the bridge is being built as we speak . the marina will definately happen and soon but the ramps and carparks who knows ?
    Stuie

Guys.

Where are we talking about here, I am out of T'Ville at the moment in Melbourne but hopefully coming back at Xmas with a shiny new boat in tow. I am would be very interested to know where they are talking about putting this set up. Not looking forward to fight of launching at the present ramps. PLEASE tell me there is going to be something better(with parking).

Cheers
    Daisy

Unfortunately the bridge building has come to a halt.

Don't expect it to be complete within 18 months.

Precince has to come first as bridge is low level and boats won't be able to get past.

Hopefully find out more soon.

Cheers

i totally agree stuie, it would not have happened if it wasn't for the commercial fleet but if it gives us a all weather ramp and some parking space i am all for it
    this plus national park will only put us 10 years behind instead of 20
    lets hope i comes through,it is well overdue
    Ron

Daisy, the new Marine Precinct will be just in the mouth off the Ross river. But there will be a long wait. First the port and Comercial facilities will have to be built, which will take 3-4years min, then the port access road will have to be finished, then they might make a start on the rec facilities. If you love your fishing and don't like the ramp dramas we have now, postpone your move for at least 5 years, even then, it won't be much better than now anyway, the rate Townsville is growing, we'll be right back at square one when it's all finished, then it'll be anoterh 15years before any more are built

Quote Originally Posted by Scott nthQld View Post
    Daisy, the new Marine Precinct will be just in the mouth off the Ross river. But there will be a long wait. First the port and Comercial facilities will have to be built, which will take 3-4years min, then the port access road will have to be finished, then they might make a start on the rec facilities. If you love your fishing and don't like the ramp dramas we have now, postpone your move for at least 5 years, even then, it won't be much better than now anyway, the rate Townsville is growing, we'll be right back at square one when it's all finished, then it'll be anoterh 15years before any more are built
    Scott
    Thanks for that. I don't want to wait five years, I have been away for five now and need to see my own house again. If necessary I will head further north to launch. From what I have read elsewhere on the developement they are only putting in two pontoons for another 14 ramps anyway so will still be a sh@t fight to try and launch. 14 Ramps is a good number but really unless they have walk on mini pontoons for each ramp you are just moving the problem to on the water.

Cheers
    Daisy

Daisy the number of pontoons isn't the problem, its all the unprepared people using them, loading all manner of gear that should have been done in the rigging zone.

A pontoon should only be used to load/unload passengers and should take no longer than a minute or 2, bit longer if there's kids to worry about. I've never tied up the exixting pontoon in town for more than a minute, but have seen and abused some people who insist of waiting tied up to the pontoon while the trailer gets backed down the ramp, which when busy in a right pain in the ass, what difference does it make whther you are sitting tied up t the pontoon idling away compared to floating around the creek waiting?

Scott
    I tie up to the pontoons because Tim isn't old enough to drive the boat or back the car down and I think alot of families going out would be much the same that is why we should have pontoons like the one in mackays marina where you have a long plastic pontoon that runs along the edge of the boatramp even on a low tide you would be able to tie five boats up to it instead of one maybe two on the humpty dumpty pontoons we have here
    Stuie