Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: QLD Police asking for help with boat theft

QLD Police asking for help with boat theft

Had a meeting with a keen police officer who wants to get a program up to start tracking boat theft more proactively. He presented and excellent case and asked if I could have a think about how I and the community groups I am involved with could work with the police to help reduce boat theft, and help increase recovery. He also has excellent backing from both his peers and his superiors.

Thought I might put the question out to the forum to get your ideas. As far as I am concerned anything that can reduce the chance of boat theft is a good thing. Also, I know that if my boat got stolen I would like to think the police are doing the best they can to find it.

So if you have any good ideas, or info let me know and I will pass it on. If you don’t want to discuss it in a public forum then send me a PM and I will contact you personally.

Re: QLD Police asking for help with boat theft

Perhaps Steve could allow them access to this site to post pics and relevant details ie rego numbers and the like and perhaps they could even keep us up to date on current hot spots so we can do all we can regarding prevention.

Just my thoughts,but i am a dope

Steeler

DoNotFeedTheTrollsAandBelligerent

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler View Post
    Perhaps Steve could allow them access to this site to post pics and relevant details ie rego numbers and the like and perhaps they could even keep us up to date on current hot spots so we can do all we can regarding prevention.

Just my thoughts,but i am a dope

Steeler
    Good call, I might introduce him to Ausfish!

Get them to pass a law that says anyone caught in the act of stealing a boat by the owner or neighbour is allowed to be shot/gaffed/stabbed or baseball batted legally Wouldn't take long to stem the flow Similar to my idea of being able to legally shoot flares from a flare gun at people that are sitting in the right lane and not overtaking anyone

I should be a law maker I'd be great at it

Wait to you see what I got in store for Bob Brown

EDIT: P.S. Mods can we please pretend Easter is over so we can get rid of the Rabbits? Pinhead must be bloody loving this!

Cheers

Chris
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

I know club marine used to place photos of all "missing " boats in the magazine at one stage. Trade a boat and boatpoint should do the same - a police listing of stolen boats for the week - send it to all marinas , marine repairers, auctions etc as so often the new unweary purchaser gets a check done.

Police should inform distributer of outboards of all stolen serial numbers - they all have centralised service records of the new technology motors and would simply highlight ones that have been stolen in for service - easy recovery as well.

Police encouraging data dots on boats

Encouraging engraving of boat gear

Hin plates are just to simply attached and not secure - rebirthing a 10 minute job for professionals.

Full interstate communication between police departments , they can't even get full rego details up of trailers.

All jackets and equipment should have boats rego and name on them - makes them worthless to anyone stealing them as at safety chechk they would have to explain - has worked a treat in sail boats where it was a big problem

Actually have photo on Revs site and boat rego so rebirth is a lot harder.

Most marine theft and vandalism isn't reprted as it is under the excess or hassle level and many a broken window at the ramp etc. Marine watch - similar to neighbourhood watch and Ramp watch where police actualy drive through boat ramps woud be a start ( yeah and I mean with their eyes open!)

They could do the basics and their job not just put it in the system as they know it is insured- not as if they have time - may as well just call it in to the police line.

Make it illegal for anyone to transport stolen goods - would make carriers ask for rego papers and ID - Harder to move harder to sell - more chance to get caught. Only a small inconvinience for honest people.

Have a place on both boat and trailer registration that links the usual boat and trailer package with the rego numbers.

On their new number plate recognition cameras they could link trailer and car registered address - if it flags it may be worth pulling over.

Known boat thieves conviction should include a condition that they can't go on teh water for XX years - restrict the ability of the scum to be around boats and boating facilities. Mate not even a seafood waterfrot restruant as far as I am concerned. Last scum cost us about 4k to get teh boat back up to scratch fter insurance

RA

PM sent

Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

Video tracking could be a method. Just like in the malls where people are video recorded except using satellite technology.

Cheers
    Chris

Ausfish Platinum Member gr hilly's Avatar
    Blog Entries

someone tried to nick my boat a few yrs back but my two cattle dogs chewe'd them up the worst thing about this ,when it went to court i had to pay $120 for the thief's jeans that got shredded but he had a sore bum he could not sit down in court the best insurance does not give you this type of satisfaction

Quote Originally Posted by gr hilly View Post
    someone tried to nick my boat a few yrs back but my two cattle dogs chewe'd them up the worst thing about this ,when it went to court i had to pay $120 for the thief's jeans that got shredded but he had a sore bum he could not sit down in court the best insurance does not give you this type of satisfaction

Love it, classic.

On the serious note, just goes to show how %$#@ing riduculous the laws in this state are, having to pay for new jeans of the crim, spare us all.

Hilly I hope you had the poor dogs teeth clened to remove any trace of the VERMIN he chewed on! And followed up with a couple of big bones as a treat!

Cheers
    Scott
    "Mystique" Haines Signature 580BR with 175 of Mr Suzuki's finest ponies

Well there you go! you got victimised because it went to court! how upside down is that!!

If their shoulders are broad enough to do the deed and the deed involves any organisation or frontal lobe activity longer than 5 seconds in this planning then they should in law be give nothing but the most basic of rights.

There is a catch 22 here, raise the stakes and raise the desperation, lots of innocent people (victims) are still alive or still healthy because the stakes all round are not hugely high, even if this is distasteful to most.

Why do baby's die during cop chases...because the stakes are high enough for the runner consider the option worth their while no matter what the result, authority and political regulation is it's own and often the publics biggest enemy...animals first, just ask Darwin.

cheers fnq

I'm slightly off thread content here, but when in Texas last year they were telling me they have had a law in place for the past few years there that enables them to shoot and ask questions later in the confines of their own home or in the defence of their own property .... Got to be happy with that !!

Cheers Greg !!

Interestingly enough you can take a boat from QLD and then re register it in NSW without canceling or transfering the registration in QLD.

Now cross border checks would certainly go along way in reducing theft

Bought a car a few months ago, cash, registered, single owner, both times we met him at his parents place, revs check.

I ran the risk of an argument but he gave in pretty fast after a couple of too and fro's (we still had the money) when I asked for a bill of sale outlining fully this sale, licence's, signatures, price, date, vehicle details etc all contained on a simple but legal privately held document.

He was under the impression that registration denotes the be all of legal ownership, I was not.

If people where not so swayed by the drumhead nature of state based regulation and became a little more familiar with basic common law (the only ones originally enacted to protect all without fear or favour), possibly a stolen boat would be that much harder to pass on.

cheers fnq

TheRealAndy........Comorant and Steeler covered most of my thinkling on the matter.Just to say I wish you well on this matter..A keen proactive police officer is a rare beast and as his bosses are just as keen, rarer still. So good luck, hopefully something will come of it and the other states will follow.

Why aren't the insurance companies driving this sort of thing????????