Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting Boat ready for Bar crossings

Re: Getting Boat ready for Bar crossings

just wondering if bill uses his boat only . or will he take you out in your own boat?

Ausfish Platinum Member gr hilly's Avatar
    Blog Entries

every time you cross a bar you will have to know what you are doing', point of entry and exit point you have to have a power source you can trust,lessons will help find a mate who has done this lots and take him fishing often but remember allway's respect the ocean you only stuff up once and you don't normally get a second chance big seas are one thing crossing bars another good luck take care hilly

Quote Originally Posted by dreemon View Post
    just wondering if bill uses his boat only . or will he take you out in your own boat?

His magnificent boat.

I live in Caloundra and go over this bar quite alot (about 30years) My advise on any bar if it looks nasty don't go, wait for a better day, cause there always will be

Now this is is not having a go at Bill in any way shape or form but how did people cross bars before Bill was running his course and what do boaties in other countries and for that matter other states do , is Bill international????? And another thing that also interests me is, did Bill do Bills course ,or is there another recognized course to do that bill did??? Ah life is full of mysteries!!

Ian

Ps. if you want to cross the Wide Bay Bar , get the marks from the Tincan Bay Coast Guard only cross on the incomming tide ( either way!!!!) and only go out if there is less that a 1m swell offshore and and all should be fine, but it's not a bar you should take likely and if you cant get the above conditions, DONT ATTEMPT TO CROSS without getting more experience from other who no that bar or experience on less dangerous bars or Do Bills course!!!

PPs. make sure your radio works well the wide bay bar is a fair way out to sea and the coast guard is even further, so you need a good radio , vhf
    Alcohol doesn't agree with me, but i sure do enjoy the argument!!!

one thing you will definitely need in your boat is pen and paper to write down the bar entry and exit waypoints that you get over the radio from the coastguard before tackling the bar. its a long way out to the last mark and gets pretty shallow at that point.

On anything westerly up there with a small <1m swell and an incoming tide go Fisherman's Gutter.