Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Texas QLD - Murray Cod

Re: Texas QLD - Murray Cod

I thought this was a fishing forum, not a game hunting page. LOL
    All good fun thou, when the fish arnt bitting hey fellas.
    I still rather sitting back and emptying the esky thou.
    Good luck.

childers theres still the remains of an electric fence around much of the place
    from when it was used for goats years ago
    i too hunted on it for about 10 years when a mate of mine managed it for a chinese owned company about 95-2005
    was running cattle then,
    plenty of goats sold off it over the years
    cheers brian

Maybe you could try a Size 1 Stumpjumper with a deep diving bib.

Years ago I used to catch them mostly at night (when camping on the shore) using a handline & light sinker with a nice big fat juicy witchety grub as bait.

Maybe live bait (small fish?) would work. A mate of mine caught a 43lb cod once just using a chunky sized wriggling earthworm for bait. That was in a river out west of Lightning Ridge - maybe the Barron.
    "...a voice in my head keeps telling me to go fishing..."

Ooop, hang on a minute... It was the NARRAN River out towards (but not as far) as Brewarina. There's a town call Goodooga and the Narran was near it.

The bloke caught the 43lb cod in a deep but fairly narrow bend in the river and adjacent to each side of it was good for yellow belly (using earthworms under a float).

But a week after the guy caught his 43 pounder a few of us went out there to be greeted by an unholy stench. There was a heap of big cod floating belly-up in the hole, all bloated & stinking. Plus there was another half dozen someone had strung up from a tree branch next to the river.

We found out that a certain person has come out and chucked a stick of jellignite (or whatever it called) into the hole to get an easy feed of cod. But the cod didn't float up straight away. The bloke/s panicked and did the harold holt then the fish floated up later. It was disgusting...!! Noone caught another fish in that whole for over six months.

Even though we all knew who "most likely" did it, nothing was ever proven so the culprit got away scott free except that he lost his credibility amongst us fishos.

old mate a few posts back said I was a c......t for using 4 set lines within 200 meters. Gee I hope he dont see that. He will have a heart attack!
    Yer that is how it was done 20 or so years back. I know a guy who around 30 years back, set up a net accross the condermine. The fishing inspectators came and asked who owned the net. They said they just pulled up to look at the river and seen the net and were waiting for the culprits to come back as they were going to bash him. They all waited for around 2 hrs with the inspector, untill he left. They rolled up and done the harold holt also.
    That was the last time they ever used the net again.

thanks for all the posts guys ive been there and back, i didnt take the bow. definatle will next time, the owner of the prperty took me for a ride up the back hills, rough country. looks good for goats.
    didnt catch any cod, a real shame cause i fished pretty hard got a big catty and a big carp, no one else caught any cod, apparently there were unusually off.
    i hope to be going back next year.

Oh well...better luck next time.

By the way; for you bow hunters out there SUKI in png aint just a place for shite hot fishing.

There are mega-herds there of feral deer that came across from the Irian Jaya side. The Suki locals hunt and eat them as their main source of red meat & protein (better than eating humans like they did before).

On a few trips to Suki we were invited by the locals to go hunting the deer with them, but they mostly go at night. By that time we were usually half-charged, plus mozzies abound.

They were using bow & arrows made of traditional materials. We had some goes at shooting targets with them but were hopeless. The locals were gun-ho..!

Even in the day, when fishing along Suki Creek and Kwima Creek you can see the deer on the shore. If you had a decent bow you'd get some for sure.

The locals modified their deer hunting tactics a bit and now they go out at night, hiding in the swampy thickets & making baby deer calls (in distress). When an adult deer comes close they jump out & grab it and cut its throat with a machete.

The locals usually give us a leg of venison to grill on the barby, that is if we can make room for it in amongst the fresh barra fillets. Suki - what a great place!

I heard there was an 80cm model caught over Easter is that correct?
    Paulo

not that i heard may have been further down the river through to texas. the locals tell me they let a bit of water out of glenlyon dam every holidays, to put the fishing off, dont know if i would believe it, but some of them swear by it.
    the lady at the shop at the dam confirmed the river was quiet, but she said they was some little cod caught a riverden.

hi shane, that right about the ruver being quiet. A land holder as well as a few locals told me the same. As for the river being quiet after they let water out, they do that every easter, and they have been for the past 20 years that I know.
    Im sure the cookies could wait a extra day or two or their water.

Was out on the condamine last weekend and the river dropped atleast 1 foot in 4 days, irrigatoprs must be pumping heaps. Didnt get any cod <may have lost one not to sure.I just legal yella and a few carp..Nice n peacfull weekend but a few more fish would of been better.
    This was at lemon tree, any of you guys know of another spot around out that way??
    Cheers James

Quote Originally Posted by wamjam View Post
    Ha ha Brett and his purple lures .
    Get yourself a couple of mudeye "happy's" cod cant leave em alone.

How you going there brett and rossco, Im in Albany WA at the moment, lifes bloody tough.
    wamjam
    i always found a 4 inch stump jumper in a dark colour

Gday scull , I think the purple and the darker colours are fine but I like pulling the p#ss out of bdowds about using his misuses lures.
    wamjam

bugger off scotty...go the purple and black

I was talking to a mad keen local last week. He said the river was very quiet with only the smaller cod being caught, but thats all.
    I know of another mate that said exactly the same on his trip around Yalarbon a few months back.