Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1kw through hull tilted transducers

1kw through hull tilted transducers

Hi guys and gals,

I've recently purchased a Garmin gpsmap 4008 for my Cruisecraft seameter, i'm interested in the through hull 1kw 20degree transducer for the unit and i am trying to get some feed back on the transducers from fellow members if you like them or is there a better transducer for the unit.

Thanks, Neil.

Re: 1kw through hull tilted transducers

Hi Neil,

I've just received an Airmar SS164, 1kw 20 degree tilted element which will be hooked up to an FCV585. It will be a while before it is fitted, but I have high hopes for a great pic in most conditions at most speeds. Here's hoping! I paid $970 from the USA; (##### imports).

Regards,
    Dave.

Hi Dave,

That is the unit i have been looking at, i just purchased one last night for a very neat price of $707.15aud so i will see how it goes i guess.

Thanks,
    Neil.

Brilliant things - go for it!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
    Hi Neil,

I've just received an Airmar SS164, 1kw 20 degree tilted element which will be hooked up to an FCV585. It will be a while before it is fitted, but I have high hopes for a great pic in most conditions at most speeds. Here's hoping! I paid $970 from the USA; (##### imports).

Regards,
    Dave.
    Hey Dave
    Are you going to insulate the s/steel tranny from the alloy hull?

Cheers
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Reefmaster View Post
    Hey Dave
    Are you going to insulate the s/steel tranny from the alloy hull?

Cheers
    Greg
    G'day Greg,

Yeah, I guess so. It comes with a plasic insulating insert so I guess it would be a good idea. What are your thoughts on it? I'm not as concerned as I would be if it were brass though.

Regards,
    Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by neil_stessco View Post
    Hi Dave,

That is the unit i have been looking at, i just purchased one last night for a very neat price of $707.15aud so i will see how it goes i guess.

Thanks,
    Neil.
    Bugger, that's a good price Neil. I know I could have saved a few bucks on the one I bought, but given the price included freight, gst etc i thought I'd go this way. I also purchased my FCV585 from the same mob plus a set of QL450 trim tabs. Again I could have got the sounder a bit cheaper elsewhere, but the service was great plus he offers a deal in the unlikely event something needs to be returned for warranty.

As long as you are happy with the service and they have a quick turn around Dave that is all that matters mate, mine included gst and post also but we will see how this express post goes.

Grand Marlin thanks for the solid advice

Quote Originally Posted by neil_stessco View Post
    Grand Marlin thanks for the solid advice
    Short & Sweet

You won't go wrong with one, so, nuff said

Neil are you sure you have the right machine the garmin gpsmap 4008 is the same as the 4010 which i have and i dont belive it has a transducer, but please correct meif i am wrong. I do have a 1kw hooked up to a 585 also but its in hull and it works a treat.

Quote Originally Posted by flattyfinder View Post
    Neil are you sure you have the right machine the garmin gpsmap 4008 is the same as the 4010 which i have and i dont belive it has a transducer, but please correct meif i am wrong. I do have a 1kw hooked up to a 585 also but its in hull and it works a treat.
    Taken off the specs page on there homepage.

Features:

Garmin radar compatible: yes Garmin sonar compatible: yes

Thanks,
    Neil.

Just a thought...

I haven't looked up the specs, but is the 4008 1kw capable?

If not, go with the 600w version at 1/3 the price

If your fishing at depth eg over 40 meters and this is your only sounder then you will need the 1 KW unit the 600 watt ones just dont cut it at depth. The 4008 is not the sounder it is just the interface module you actually need to purchase a sounder module that connects via a network cable to the 4008. From memory the modules are 600 to 1000w compatable.

Might I suggest that you purchase a different specific sounder for fishing at depth the garmins just dont seem to cut it at the moment.
    "light gear big fish big fun"

Far side thanks for the heads up.

I have ordered a sounder module and the transducer at the same time. I might run dual 8" units i have my eye on a Northstar M84 or even a M121 also as i like having a backup.

Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
    G'day Greg,

Yeah, I guess so. It comes with a plasic insulating insert so I guess it would be a good idea. What are your thoughts on it? I'm not as concerned as I would be if it were brass though.

Regards,
    Dave.

I looked into using one of these as well but the more I looked the more I become uneasy in using two dissimilar metals togethor due to electrolysis. Bottom of the hull isn't exactly a place I wanted to be having issues with but personally I think it would be a slow process and take some considerable time to cause any problems. I was advised from many in the industry not do it yet it seemed like most giving this advise hadn't tried or seen it first hand.

I was very close to using one and getting a very thin nylon washer made to isolate the flange of the s/steel Transducer to the alloy hull. I believed this would have worked a treat but in the end my decision not to use one didn't come down to this reseasoning but more price and trying to use the same tranducer that most punters use for my articles/talks/training purposes.

Cheers
    Greg