Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Muddie share farmers at Brunswick Heads

Muddie share farmers at Brunswick Heads

Hi all ,
    As the title suggest i had a couple of traps stolen at Brunswick Heads last night (19-3-10) im a commerical fishermen and use 10 traps in total , last night i had 3 stolen and another 3-4 emptyed . Very anoying as this is my living and if i rocked upto generl store and startedd to geab and stole every thing in sight i would be in some serious shit!!
    Funny part of the storey is i followed a boat around after checking my remaining traps and watched this guy and his friend and little girl pull one of my traps then spot me chuck it back . i Noted there rego and a quick pic msg to our local fisheries officer of the boat and people in see's me now with the option to have him fined around a total of $600 for "interfearing with commerical set fishing gear " and one other charge i carnt remember sorry ! . The problem is the guy swears on his mother's grave he didnt check it and he just thought it was his etc etc .
    My traps have a massive FL970112c Written on it and it also has "commerical set fishing gear " written on it . how much clearer could it be !!
    The other interesting thing is that its always the "tourist" and normaly QLD'ers getting the blame for this type of thing but when i pulled up beside him for the WTF storey i new the man and he is a local. he claimed all his traps were also raided last night and some stolen.
    What to do ? have him charge or have him warned in writting by NSW DPI ?
    People need to start thinking .. Maybe if i dont raid and steel this persons trap My traps wont get raided or stolen !!!

Cheers Craig

Re: Muddie share farmers at Brunswick Heads

seen ya on telly the other day might have to come down for a signiture,did you have to write that latin name for spanners on your hand or are you just about the only non brain dead commercial i've seen.

You leaving any spanish for me craig?

Haha i keep telling scotty that he better up his sponsership for when the big networks take me on haha, I didn't have that written on my hand but i had my name there so i didn't forget LOL . Ive done my absolute best effot to make spanish a rare species on the north coast mate !! things have slowed up alot the last week or 2 here the buggers have moved down the coast now even scotty managed to snagg a couple at coffs on thurs , I would of cought a lot more if those tweed pro's let more swim past !! Give me a bell when this piss ass little storm goes past if you want mate Haven't been wide for ages there is still a truck load of current 2-3 knots in 30 fathom
    How were those muddies you stole off me last night ?? or are they for diner

This shouldn't be in lost and stolen , Its a warning ment for saltwater fishing and has info for salt water fishermen
    Craig

Yeah mate i'm sick of the sight of spanish, might be down your neck of the woods soon for a speckulator for some snaps soon or up north for some reds if these blues don't pick up in numbers but mud crabs sound good where did you leave those traps of mine again i forgot.

There's no excuse for lifting/stealing other peoples pots. I hate it. I wish I could go back in time when the majority had manners.
    However, I mean this in no disrespect to yourself crab man as I don't know you, but your complaint sounds like a taxi driver whinging he got cut off in traffic.
    I hear lots of stories about the "pros" inteferring with rec's pots everywhere.

Hey crab man I would be having him charged with all you can, mate the more of them that cop a fine for lifting someone elses gear the more of them that will think twice about doing it.

I agree with the last bloke mate, have him charged.
    People need to learn out there.

Yep string him up by the balls.
    As you stated they wre well marked and you caught him red handed.

Ask the fisheries to have a article published in the paper that they are catchng people.

Do a letter yourself.

More people who know the risk and size of the fines the better. Some advice on how to set traps so they don't wash away with tides etc might help people who think their pots have been stolen - A lot are badly set and not stolen I reckon.

There are no excuses and I hope fisheries can do some more stings

Commercial guys have a bad rep and it only takes a couple of crappy thieving commercial guys to give the rest a bad name.

The local regular sharefarmers should be banned from the water . full stop. No fishing - not allowed withing 200m. Time they catch up with the couple of commercial thieves as well.

Oh yeah - get fisheries to check his freezer - scum like that will have other stuff at home as well. If only there was more officers and they had more resources.

Thanks guys , This man is now charged !! Cormorant , i think you are correct about the commerical guys just a few wreck it for all and a stir up stinging a few pros would only do good , I take it that most here are QLD crabbers ? in nsw most of the commerical guys only check there traps once a day and at the its normaly in the middle of the day so mud crab steeling for most is not even a option, i dont i work my gear of a night only to stop the theift and mostly take it home with me when im done work for the night, i only leave it set in my local river brunswick heads . agree also that its mainly the same local share farmers that never set a trap in there life but have 20 in there caravan van site and always have crabs to give away and sell to the others !! i know some of the old local guys like that here and i give those pricks hell but its hard for the fisheries even when they know who is doing what and how they still offten carn't do shit about it .
    Sandbankmagnt = i like that taxi driver saying ..gold , yeah i was not even gunna post anything being a pro i thought alot of people would of assume that but i did because i want people talking about it and storyies of guys getting cought etc etc hopefully scares some people . And i dont touch other peoples shit eith mate
    Randell. mate dont waste your fuel mate no snapper here haha traps are at 28,32 777 s 153, 45 777 e haha I got one of those gaffs off the big fella the other day nice to use , much better then an aluim gaff the flex is awsome to. Whats the swell doing there today ? i seen kong and other pros towing in on our bar ...nice

There's alway's snaps down that way though drifting is the only option with the run at present, the swell's been fine all week compared to what i'm used to a little breeze but thats fine inshore within 10km,very fishable all week getting a bad report alway's keeps the punters scared off just the numbers of fish dropping keeps you hestsant to justify going but you don't get paid sitting at home in bed.

Good on you crab man, glad to see pot theives dealt with accordingly. Pro or Rec, no one should be touching your gear.

I must admit that I broke the law at a clean up australia day event. I pulled several smashed up crab pots out of mangroves and mud flats. All were completly stuffed, but I could have been charged with intefering with fishing apparatus. I had previously requested that fisheries get involved and was met with "We dont have enough staff or the budget to do it".

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealAndy View Post
    Good on you crab man, glad to see pot theives dealt with accordingly. Pro or Rec, no one should be touching your gear.

I must admit that I broke the law at a clean up australia day event. I pulled several smashed up crab pots out of mangroves and mud flats. All were completly stuffed, but I could have been charged with intefering with fishing apparatus. I had previously requested that fisheries get involved and was met with "We dont have enough staff or the budget to do it".
    I would think that you could fight the charge in court and I even reckon the judge would throw that one out.
    I am guilty of picking up what look to be lost and deteriorated crab pots out of shallow waters and place them high and dry in tree forks. I think it is called doing the right thing.

Also good to see the culprits get charged and fined as they deserve.

Cheers
    Chris

Good for you crab man ...we stay at Ferry Road caravan Park quite regular and have had our pots pinched and raided everytime . We'll be there again over easter so will keep an eye out for you and say gidday ...
    Cheers Tezza