Thread: lost 2 crab pots brisbane river

lost 2 crab pots brisbane river

Not stolen but lost i think.

Last wed morning i set a pot west/east gateway bridge just between jetty and the 6knot marker. I didn't let out enough rope so the float went under. maybe 30 foot of water. Too muddy to see anything so i wasn't able to retrieve it. It has an orange float and labeled. One of those Coucom's 1m square pots.

has my number on it if any one finds it

I set another 2 just east of the paper mill but when i came back an hour later only one was there. so not sure what happened to that one.

set 4 pots, come home with only 2 and no crabs

will have to buy a grappling hook setup and drag where i lost it.

russ

Re: lost 2 crab pots brisbane river

one re appeared up from the paper mill so i was able to retrieve that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Razgo- View Post
    one re appeared up from the paper mill so i was able to retrieve that one.
    Good to hear some admiting an honest mistake, rather than blaming someone for stealing your pots.

Put it this way, you learned a valuable lesson!! You wont make the same mistake again! I too learned the hard way when I was a young'un. Put the pots out in a big flood and found them a long way from where they were placed. Lucky I found them all, but lost one when trying to retreive it due to a dodgy knot. Now all my pots use spliced ropes, no knots.

PS. you can see pots on a sounder. I was up nudgee creek once fishing and spotted an interesting feature on the sounder near some submerged rocks. Fished it and got snagged only to find out it was a sunk pot. Maybe you could sound out the area you think its in.

the one i retrieved from near the paper mill is a mystery. i had 2 pots there within 30m of each other. one was there but the other wasn't 2hrs later. rope length was plenty in that spot.

maybe a log came by and dragged the float underwater as lots of debri around sometimes. either that i i simply just could see it. it is bright orange flats though

the other pot yes was a misreading of depth and what rope length i had.

i tried to find it with sounder but no luck. also dragged the area with a small reef anchor but no luck. could be anywhere now i guess.

I didn't do much crabing as a youngen. at 48 i find it quite good excersise! loosing weight just going crabbing lol.

and i still see 100% of the time floats with no labels on them. also see the old milk bottle crab floats still getting put in out there too.

ah well it still could show up yet

Bugger! lost another pot this morning at white island Nth W corner opposite port authority. it was only in 3-4 feet of water so i had plenty of rope and it vanished within 2 hrs on an outgoing tide. other pots nearby were still there.

buggered if know whats going on.

russ
    Last edited by Razgo-; 24-03-2010 at 04:44 PM. Reason: correction

I went back this morning same spot same time and left the pot there 2 hrs again. this time i sat near by. the funny thing is it never vanished this time so i suspect that this one was indeed stolen as nothing seems to happen when you sit and watch.

ah well you live and learn.